Quantcast
lumber for fencing... best price? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lumber for fencing... best price?

Default lumber for fencing... best price?

dumb question but I need pressure treated lumber and yes there is totem, the home depot and lowes...

but anyone think there is a better price than those big box that I should patronize?

I need 42 6x6x10 posts
    and enough 1x6x6 and 2x6x8's for 240ft of fencing

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

I Just finished my fence and found home depot to have to best lumber / cement prices of the big box stores... Totem was the best for brackets and nails/screws (they sell them bulk/ loose). I was told to check out a place called green tree by a guy who builds fences and decks, might want to try them.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are buying that many, you should be able to talk your way into contractor pricing at most of these places.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Me and my dad have been fence building for that last couple years and found that the best prices are from Lumber King in the NE. It's right down. The road from a totem so it's easy to compare prices as well. As a note their service was always something to be desired.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

UFA

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by '93 SR-V
    I Just finished my fence and found home depot to have to best lumber
    You must have gotten extremely lucky because I would completely disagree with this.

My Ride
    335i

Home depot has terrible cedar. I still have to visit the Cedar shop, but so far Totem has the most consistent cedar I've seen. Price was $300 cheaper than Home Depot but I'm mainly concerned with the consistency color and quality of the wood for such minor savings. Totem claims to have the best grade wood and won't price match as a result, but I'm going to check out a couple places before ordering lumber for my fence.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

As far as the grade goes, it's easy to double check. Look at the tags on the bottom, it should tell you the grade, and the mill. Then you can tell totem their full of shit because they buy from all the same mills as HD, Rona, UFA and the rest via Weyerhauser. Also, Totem is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rona.
    Last edited by codetrap; 06-23-2011 at 09:12 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by '93 SR-V
    I Just finished my fence and found home depot to have to best lumber / cement prices of the big box stores...

Originally posted by project240

You must have gotten extremely lucky because I would completely disagree with this.

I bet you didn't read the word prices here? Luck has almost nothing at all to do with prices.

As for wood quality, if you want decent boards from home depot be prepared to sift through their entire stack to get a few good boards, IMO don't waste your time there. I bought the wood for my last big project from Rona, but after how long it took to find good boards there I'm not sure I would recommend them either.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Zero102

I bet you didn't read the word prices here? Luck has almost nothing at all to do with prices.

Lowes has better prices and better lumber.

Don't get me wrong, if I need a couple of 2x4s and I was close by, I'd grab them at home depot; I'd just never buy lumber from there for a larger project because the quality is much lower and cheaper elsewhere.

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

Try Lumber King.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by codetrap
    As far as the grade goes, it's easy to double check. Look at the tags on the bottom, it should tell you the grade, and the mill. Then you can tell totem their full of shit because they buy from all the same mills as HD, Rona, UFA and the rest via Weyerhauser. Also, Totem is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rona.
    One mill produces all different grades. We wholesale certain wood like 4x4s, 6x6s, 1x6s and when orders are placed we choose a grade. The mill we order from also supplies a number of chain stores in the city but quality is different everywhere.

Even though it's really rare for us to ever use a chain stores wood, Totem does carry the best quality wood. Home depot has the worst. Also, Weyerhauser isn't the main supplier for Totem, it's SLS which seems to have MUCH better wood.

But back on topic, I'd order wood from Lumber King and stay away from any place that stores indoors.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

I have to give big props to Timbertown. Prices are usually better than the Big 3. Quality is definalty better and they load ur vehicle to boot.

Never used delivery which I guess you would with the amount of posts but give em a shot.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Originally posted by project240

Lowes has better prices and better lumber.

Timbertown has a sample of Lowe's lumber. The fence boards was as thin and flimsy as a cardboard.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I'm currently building my deck and bought all my lumber (minus my BBQ pergola wood) from Home Depot. Spent at least 2-3 hours there hand picking each piece of wood (both pressure treated for the structure and cedar for the surface) and even though I likely saved a few hundred from the other places, I would NEVER recommend anyone going there for their lumber! Only about 1/3 of their stock was sufficient for my standards and by the time it was delivered to my driveway, 1/4 of that pile started cracking, splitting, warping/twisting, etc!!! Huge waste of my time only to save a few dimes on each piece (my deck's fairly large at just under 500 sq. ft. so the few dimes savings on each piece added up).

My next door neighbour bought all his material from Timber Town...although pricier, their quality is at least 3-4 times better than HD's!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

+1 for Timbertown.

Home Depot lumber is fine for little odds & ends type projects, but their lumber is low grade.

I thought it was bad at Calgary HD's until I moved out here to the Coast... the 'spruce' is some of the shittiest lumber I have ever seen. I swear it's milled pine beetle crap, it's all blue and everything... haha.

My Ride
    ecoboost

+1 for TImbertown... the cedar shop is good too. Home depot is up and down, you have to dig through alot of their stock to find decent wood.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

If anyone here thinks that Timbertown has good lumber then you should really try Lumber King. I've ordered 2 packages from Timbertown in the last few years and both times I shipped them back because the wood was such shit. They also don't carry anywhere near the amount of lengths that Lumber King does.

to Timbertown.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

best price and the nices to deal with this far is Lumber King

Ordering materials tomorrow

thanks all!

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

The truth is, construction lumber is low grade wood, doesn't matter where you buy it from. With that being said, some places are slightly better than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast