Quantcast
Pet Insurance - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You guys have some shitty dogs, lol. (health wise I mean). Had our Sib.Husky for 15 years, and only had one emergency and that only cost $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys have some shitty dogs, lol. (health wise I mean). Had our Sib.Husky for 15 years, and only had one emergency and that only cost $800.

I think that's the point, it's hit or miss especially with pure(inbreds). You could have thousands of dollars worth of bills for say eye issues (a very common problem with Siberian huskies) or you could have one that lives 15 years with no problems. the gamble is up to you but I personally don't ever want to be in the position where I even question whether it's worth the cost.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    When you pay $6k Christmas Eve because your cat swallowed a shoe string, yup you gonna wish you had pet insurance!
    Parents never allowed any pets aside from fishies. I remember hearding about this incident when it happened to you few years ago, was surprise to learn the cost to maintain a little pussy.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Parents never allowed any pets aside from fishies. I remember hearding about this incident when it happened to you few years ago, was surprise to learn the cost to maintain a little pussy.
    considering he mentioned it was his ex's cat, then he was maintaining 2

I love my dog and had her since she was a pup, but TBH the moment the bill is more than 2000 I'm leaning on putting her down.
    It sounds heartless but no point on going broke for a pet.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I currently pay $40 a month for our teacup yorkie. We have had her for 2 years ( $40 x 24 months = $960 )

We have unlimited coverage as long as we pay the first $250 per bill.

The first 4 months we had her, her back hip bone died which resulted in a $4500 surgery to remove it. Cost us $250 and we moved on.

We have also had 2 other $1200 vet bills with other things that went wrong.

All in all we have paid $960 + $250 + $250 = $1460

I recommend pet insurance because it's worked out for me!
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    What kind of dog are you planning on getting? It's fairly predictable which breeds are going to have the most problems (bulldogs for example, see above, are renowned as being unhealthy)
    We're getting a Samoyed at 8 weeks if all goes well.
    The main issue with these dogs, as with many large breeds, is hip dysplasia. They are bred carefully by select dogs (based on health, temperament and coat) from a very reputable breeder in ON, but it's still a gamble as with any pure breds. And I am aware of this. I'm just hoping he'll be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    If you're going to get it, get it when they are a pup and keep it on. I didn't, so now our quotes are crazy high for our 2 year old corgi.

When i was looking around at companies, trupanion was the best and mostly because they have no caps for payouts.
    That's usually the advice I get, that is why I'm researching before he comes at the end of October.
    Right now it's a toss up between PetPlan, Trupanion and Healthy Paws.

Based on recent reviews (2016 and on), we're likely to go with Healthy Paws provided that they have policies for Canadian pets. Like Trupanion, they also offer no caps on claims and with unlimited benefits. But the site doesn't have an option for "Postal Code" entry on the quote page so I had to inquire this morning via email, but there are people in Canada who have policies with them. Awaiting reply.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can you get life insurance for pets? Maybe whole life? Maybe I need another coffee...
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Can you get life insurance for pets? Maybe whole life? Maybe I need another coffee...
    Whole life is terrible for most pets though. Stick to term life insurance on your fish.

My Ride
    LNF

Picking up our 8 week old labradoodle today.. Still on the fence about pet insurance..

Looks like it is either 60 or 30$ per month with trupanion. I have heard so many things saying to avoid insurance and just save your own money in the bank. Not sure what to do yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Picking up our 8 week old labradoodle today.. Still on the fence about pet insurance..

Looks like it is either 60 or 30$ per month with trupanion. I have heard so many things saying to avoid insurance and just save your own money in the bank. Not sure what to do yet.
    Labs are one of the top breeds known for hip dysplasia. You have a bit of an advantage with a mixed breed like that. Surgery options your probably looking $3000+ Should your dog need it. That's over 4 years worth of payments if you pay $60/mo. To me that would be worth it. Plus labradoodles are expensive so I assume you have deep pockets

My Ride
    TRD Pro

If you mke the committment to save, then go for it... I would rather pay for the piece of mind. My pet insurance has paid off....I wouldnt have a dog without it. Stupid expensive for most things..

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    us humans are will just blow the extra vs allocating haha
    YUUUP! I laugh everytime i hear someone say they will just put money aside.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I think that's the point, it's hit or miss especially with pure(inbreds). You could have thousands of dollars worth of bills for say eye issues (a very common problem with Siberian huskies) or you could have one that lives 15 years with no problems. the gamble is up to you but I personally don't ever want to be in the position where I even question whether it's worth the cost.
    That was my point exactly. Its just like car insurance, ive been driving for well over 15 years now and not one claim but that doesnt mean im not going to get insurance or suggest to people to not get it because ive never needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I love my dog and had her since she was a pup, but TBH the moment the bill is more than 2000 I'm leaning on putting her down.
    It sounds heartless but no point on going broke for a pet.
    You know how i know you dont love your dog? Thats pretty sad that you would give up one of the most loyal things in your life for $2000. I would honestly not hesitate to sell my vehicles if i had to for my dogs

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    lol nice

My Ride
    LNF

Another question for everyone.. So looking at Trupanion, Do you guys go with a higher deductible and lower payment or lower deductible and higher payment?

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Another question for everyone.. So looking at Trupanion, Do you guys go with a higher deductible and lower payment or lower deductible and higher payment?
    I went with a $250 deductible, I cant remember what higher deductibles were like, but I remember any lower and they got quite a bit more expensive. with a $250 deductible I really didn't care since in the big scheme of things $250 wont kill me, and with 90% coverage, instances where I use insurance, the amount I have to pay to cover the 10% exceeds it anyways.

One thing to be aware of with Trupanion, and every other insurance company that seemed decent is that they will not pay for GST, and they will also not cover the cost of exam
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by boarderfatty View Post
    I went with a $250 deductible, I cant remember what higher deductibles were like, but I remember any lower and they got quite a bit more expensive. with a $250 deductible I really didn't care since in the big scheme of things $250 wont kill me, and with 90% coverage, instances where I use insurance, the amount I have to pay to cover the 10% exceeds it anyways.

One thing to be aware of with Trupanion, and every other insurance company that seemed decent is that they will not pay for GST, and they will also not cover the cost of exam
    Good call on the tip, I noticed that in the print lol.. I guess what I mean by high and low deductible is 250 vs 700$. The premium price almost triples so I was thinking of just going in around the middle with 400$ for 43$ per month. Seems reasonable.

There has been a few studies done that having dogs spayed/neutered before two years old have an increase in getting hip dysplasia.

Makes sense considering the process removes vital organs for hormonal balance.

Trupanion was double the price as other quotes I got, how are they double better then places like PC etc?

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    Trupanion was double the price as other quotes I got, how are they double better then places like PC etc?
    The reason that we pay the extra for Trupanion was that most pet insurance policies have a max claim amount of $5000, and one or two claims per year. We have had our dog for 2.5 years, her one stomach surgery was close to $12k all said and done, we have spent a total of close to $50k over the whole 2.5 years. So in our instance if we would have gone for a cheaper policy that had a max claim of $5,000 and two claims per year we would be a minimum of $30k out of pocket if we were able to predict all her problems and pick and chose which invoices we would claim and not claim. With Trupanion we are less than $10k out of pocket based on the $25 deductible and 90% coverage.

So for us <$10K versus $30K makes Trupanion over 200% better than others
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    LNF

I ended up just going with trupanion. The price was only like 5$ more per month vs PC which had a 5k limit per injury per year.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast