Quantcast
Pet Insurance - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by z24_wheels
    I was going to get this, but then I looked into what was truly covered. It wasn't a whole hell of a lot. So instead of paying $50/mo into an insurance plan that *might* cover me, I put $50/mo into a savings account and will use that money should my pups have an issue.
    i do that too
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Troll-ol
    No point then if it's that young. It should be cheaper just to pay for whatever it needs.
    As with people, it will cost more to start later. And some won't even accept dog over 5 years old.

My dog didn't even had surgery but the check up and drug to keep his heart problem in check was roughly $3000 for the last 6 months of its life. And before that, the only medical cost is just shots and yearly check ups that probably cost around $300 a year.

If i paid insurance, it's probably about even.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-29-2011 at 03:30 PM.

We also looked in to pet insurance but with the high deductibles and low coverage it made way more sense to just save the money.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    So $40/mo, lets say your pet doesn't have problems for 10 years, you've already put in $4,800, so you would need to claim more than that to make it worth it I guess.
    Very true, but to most people $40/mth is much more manageable vs a $3000 bill that can creep up on you out of nowhere.

Just wanted to bump up this old thread to see what people are doing nowadays. Does anyone have pet insurance on their dog currently? From what I've read in this thread, seems like majority of the people recommend saving the money in a bank account instead of paying for insurance. Opinions? If you do have pet insurance currently, could you please let me know with which insurance company and how much you pay a month for what kind of coverage??

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

I got Trupanion insurance for my dog when she was 6 months old. Now a little under a year old and I've already made back the premiums for this year. $34 a month premium, $250 deductible. My dog had cherry eye which they covered 90%. She was also spayed which wasn't covered under the insurance and had to get some antibiotics, we didn't try to claim the antibiotics because we thought they wouldn't cover since they didn't cover spaying. When we submitted the receipt for the cherry eye, they automatically started a claim and reimbursed us for the antibiotics without us asking. I was pretty impressed. Great service too, gave me lot's of emails updating me on the status of the claim and processed the claim quickly.

Originally posted by psycoticclown
    I got Trupanion insurance for my dog when she was 6 months old. Now a little under a year old and I've already made back the premiums for this year. $34 a month premium, $250 deductible. My dog had cherry eye which they covered 90%. She was also spayed which wasn't covered under the insurance and had to get some antibiotics, we didn't try to claim the antibiotics because we thought they wouldn't cover since they didn't cover spaying. When we submitted the receipt for the cherry eye, they automatically started a claim and reimbursed us for the antibiotics without us asking. I was pretty impressed. Great service too, gave me lot's of emails updating me on the status of the claim and processed the claim quickly.
    That sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing the info. We were contemplating between Trupanion and PetSecure but it seems like Trupanion is a bit better because they let you choose your deductible amount. With a $250 deductible, ours works out to be $37.84 without the extra coverage. I guess it's less than $500 a year so that's not too bad.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

I registered my dog under PetLynx and they also provide pet insurance(through Pet Secure) with different rates/plans. Here's a quick list of what they offer:

Plan 1 - $1000 illness and accidental coverage. $300 deductible annually, costs $33.81 monthly.
    Plan 2 - $2500 illness and accidental coverage. $300 deductible annually, costs $44.88 monthly.
    Plan 3 - $5000 illness and accidental coverage. $300 deductible annually, costs $60.97 monthly.
    Plan 4 - No limit for illness and accidental coverage. $400 deductible annually, costs $92.11 monthly.

Unfortunately, none of these plans give dental coverage but their general coverage is 80%.

Just make sure you read the wording carefully and inquire about your specific breed. A LOT of insurance doesn't cover common problems associated with breeds. ie. my min pin's knee wouldn't have been covered because it's a known problematic issue.

That pisses me off because to me, that is the purpose of pet insurance is incase that specific issue arises.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I have gotten my moneys worth out of Pet Secure from my English Bulldog... I almost cancelled it before my first claim... very very happy I didnt.
    From rough calculations I saved roughly 3k. (As opposed to being out of pocket with out insurance)

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

For those of you that got insurance, how old was your dog/puppy when you got him/her insured? I have an 11 and a half month old black labrador and I plan on holding off until he's a year and a half or two years. Any thoughts?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by Tej.S
    For those of you that got insurance, how old was your dog/puppy when you got him/her insured? I have an 11 and a half month old black labrador and I plan on holding off until he's a year and a half or two years. Any thoughts?
    Look into the policy requirements. I have a Malamute and in order to qualify for hip dysplasia coverage I would've had to insure him before the age of 6-months. This was the only big ticket item I was concerned about, and so I opted not to go with insurance because he was too old to qualify at the time.

Obviously different companies will have different policies, but definitely check into them to see if there's an advantage to getting it while they're still a pup.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Oh alright, thanks for the heads up!

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 03-24-2013 at 09:30 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Im with trupanion as well with $0 deductible since my great dane was about 6 months old.

90% is covered including prescription drugs. The only thing that it doesnt cover are exam fee and annual shots.

My dog requires average of $150 of prescription drugs per month (epilepsy/hypothyriod/athritis), let alone the surgery and accidents he's had in the past six years (ie dog bite, cuts from the park, eating foreign objects etc..)

Im glad I have insurance and I know my total claims uptodate have exceeded my monthly primiums by atleast a couple thousand
    Last edited by reese; 02-21-2013 at 05:35 AM.

We ended up going with Trupanion with the $100 deductible. It works out to something like $41 a month, which is not too bad.

We didn't go with PetSecure because it doesn't give you the option of opting out of preventive insurance and other extras. If we wanted to go with a similar plan with PetSecure that was unlimited coverage for accidental and illness, it would have cost $100+ a month with a $250 deductible.

Has anyone been with Trupanion for a significant period of time? They mentioned that the premium could go up annually but they are writing a new rule to cap it to 20% per year. They said the increase depends on what the insurance cost is in whatever area you live in. Hopefully it's not a drastic increase.

I had Petsecure insurance for my dog for a few years. I ended up putting in a few claims early on and it was great at that time, but as more and more months drag on and the premiums increase, it became too costly and I cancelled it two years ago.

The dog is 8 now, not worth shelling out money any longer. Once it's her turn to go, she's gone.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    growls

I have 3 dogs, only one has needed significant surgery. It was $3000.
    My oldest one who is ten has been extremely healthy, my middle one is 9 and she suffered an accute injury going down the stairs which cost $3000, but she also has allergies & because of old age had some growths removed which was ~$280 (I call her my problem child) and my youngest is almost 4 and she had a weird tail injury which I don't think ended up costing more than a couple hundred for the check up and medication, and none have ever had pet insurance. In regards to their health, in hindsight, I was better off not having pet insurance because it would've cost me more in the long run I think.

My Ride
    Ford

my dog is 6 and so far only out about $900 to get a few growths removed and sent for testing. came back negative.
    no insurance.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast