Quantcast
Do you yap on your phone while driving? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you yap on your phone while driving?

Default Do you yap on your phone while driving?

It seems I see more and more people driving, merging onto Deerfoot, in stop and go traffic while yapping on their phones. Why dont people buy bluetooth speakers? I was at the auto value yesterday in the NW and a cop was handing out tickets for people talking on their phones. He had a whole lineup full of cars. I know people who even have built in bluetooth in their cars and still dont use it. Because "driving and talking on the phone at the same time doesnt distract me.....ive been doing it for so long i can handle it."

Just look at the 23yr old girl who was killed today in a crash on stoney trail. They said she was most likely speeding and distracted. Gee wonder what she was distracted by hmmmm.
    Last edited by maxwinedog; 06-29-2011 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Talking and driving isn't illigal yet, so don't know what the cop was handing tickets out for.

Originally posted by eblend
    Talking and driving isn't illigal yet, so don't know what the cop was handing tickets out for.
    Maybe he was bored, i see this all the time.

As long as you're using speaker phone/bluetooth, cell phones are no more distracting than talking to a passenger. In fact, I would argue having a passenger is MORE dangerous based on the amount of people I see making periodic eye contact with their passengers when talking to them.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    As long as you're using speaker phone/bluetooth, cell phones are no more distracting than talking to a passenger. In fact, I would argue having a passenger is MORE dangerous based on the amount of people I see making periodic eye contact with their passengers when talking to them.

I talk on my phone while I am driving but generally will just put it on speaker and throw it on my lap. While I am able to concentrate on the road and talk at the same time, the same can not be said for most of calgary's inept drivers.

My Ride
    Talon tsi awd

I text n drive all the time, same with talking and such. I'm actually writing this while driving since I'm bored.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I talk and drive all the time...on my bluetooh

I don't recall where I read it, but I think it's been proven that bluetooth headsets and speaker phone don't make it any safer to talk on a phone and a drive. I'll have to try and find the article.

On a side note, I don't talk on the phone and drive in the city. I find it a pain the ass when you drive standard.

Only talk on my phone through my bluetooth now. I dont even look at the phone unless I am stopped at a light. I never used to really care until I watched this:

Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    08 Impreza

Only answer my texts at red lights.

Sometimes talk during long distances where I don't have to turn or anything. If I do need to turn I tell them I have to go.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Through BT but not long chats. If the call lingers, I just tell them I will call them back.

Handfree is better than phone in hand, although not by much. But I had enough people with phone in left hand run into my lane that didn't even know that I'm there.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by eblend
    Well, there is a law called driving with undue care and attention.....

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

I had a discussion about this with my gf the other day while I was driving and she was in the passenger seat. She refused to answer my ringing phone because she didn't know the person that was calling.

If i have a passenger I always try and get them to answer. When I am alone I answer the phone on speakerphone. Videos like the one above are enough to keep me conscious about my actions. What scares me is the idiots that don't care the same precautions I do.

Talking on the cell phone may not be illegal at the exact moment. But driving without due care and attention is. My bets is that this is the ticket they were being handed.

My Ride
    boosted awd

The best people are the ones on the phone while doing 10/20 under the speed limit and have no fucking clue.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Do it all day every day. I usually use bluetooth unless I'm in my truck because the road noise is so bad I can't be heard through a headset.

As much as many people will argue it, I'm sure if you've been doing it all day every day for years then you're totally fine. I personally made/recieved 54 calls today between 8am and 5pm, many of which I was behind the wheel. I do this every single day and I don't think it affects my driving at all.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    I don't recall where I read it, but I think it's been proven that bluetooth headsets and speaker phone don't make it any safer to talk on a phone and a drive. I'll have to try and find the article.

On a side note, I don't talk on the phone and drive in the city. I find it a pain the ass when you drive standard.
    you are right, my gf learned all about simulations they did in one of her cognitive psychology courses or something, talking on a BT or handsfree didn't help other than to free up their hands, their attention was still hindered.

I don't ever talk on my phone while driving. there really isn't any point, people can wait until I get home, and any emergency should be directed to 911 NOT to me hahaha. So really there isn't any call important enough to risk my own and others lives over.

I had two separate occasions where I almost called people driving in as drunk drivers because they couldn't stay in there lanes and were all over, only to pass them and see them looking down at their phone....

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I do but I'll put it on speaker phone right away and hold the phone at chest height with my elbow on the arm rest. I find it easier than trying to hold it up to my face, I can't shoulder check / shift / turn properly like that.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by J-hop
    I had two separate occasions where I almost called people driving in as drunk drivers because they couldn't stay in there lanes and were all over, only to pass them and see them looking down at their phone....
    I was behind a guy in a truck on Blackfoot that was doing 80 and drifted over and connected with the snowbank on the side of the road. He corrected, then 10 seconds later did it again. I pulled past him to avoid an inevitable crash and he was looking down at his phone....STILL!

I was behind a van in the same spot and they drifted to the right, completely hopped the curb, van was bouncing all over fuck on the grass and then he popped back down over the curb onto the Ogden Road off ramp. He was doing at least 80, I thought he was going to flip it.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    V167

No. Even on long drives (Dallas -> Calgary etc) I tell parents to not call, will update them re: my location/status when I get to a rest stop.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    No. Even on long drives (Dallas -> Calgary etc) I tell parents to not call, will update them re: my location/status when I get to a rest stop.
    Just install a GPS tracker on your phone so they can view your position online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast