Quantcast
How to remove this rust? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to remove this rust?

Default How to remove this rust?

Its been on for a long time, not the rotor but the hat between the rim and rotor.

I dont want to use rust remover in case it gets on the rotor or else where. i was told to get it sandblasted but dont know of any places that do that.
    Last edited by BigKate; 06-26-2011 at 02:31 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

why do you need it removed? That part is unfinished steel, it's going to rust.
    you could get it sandblasted and then paint it, but I don't see the point. Plus, you don't want to pain the friction surface of the rotor.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    why do you need it removed? That part is unfinished steel, it's going to rust.
    you could get it sandblasted and then paint it, but I don't see the point. Plus, you don't want to pain the friction surface of the rotor.
    Oh so all cars have this? ok didnt know it thanks. Didnt know it was normal for that area to rust. It just looks bad but oh well ill leave it i guess.

nothing to worry about
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    EF8

Jack up the car and put it on jack stands. Next you will want to take your cordless drill and put a wire wheel cone style brush attachment on it . Next go to the rotor and go to town! Spray off with some break clean If you have but not necessasry.

Or you can once the tire is off and on jack stands. Take off those 2 little philips screws holding the rotor flush to the hub. Then on back of the caliper housing there will be two 17mm bolts . Take off those bolts and slide off the caliper. Next you can take the rotor off and do it to the whole rotor!! But I would take it to your bench grinder with the wire wheel cause its much faster then the drill.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

I think it will just look like that again next spring if you get rid of it now.

Btw I have the same rims as you on my winter tires except in a gun metal color, do you know what they're called? I've been trying to find the name

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Every spring I take my wheels off, sand it down and spray paint it gloss black. That's all you can do.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Typically, after market rotors are unfinished and do have rust there, which affects nothing for safety or performance. Most OEM parts are coated from factory to prolong the rust which will end up coming anyways :P

Here is what new oem rotor for my civic look like from factory, we will see how long that last, ha ha

Honda/Acura guy

Originally posted by gyu

Btw I have the same rims as you on my winter tires except in a gun metal color, do you know what they're called? I've been trying to find the name
    Not sure the name but theyre Konigs.

I want to paint my caliper red but Im trying to find a high heat paint that allows me to apply with a brush. That way i dont have to tape anything off and itll be easier. Just cleaned my caliper last night to its bare metal.

I found the VHT high heat caliper paint at cdn tire and some say you can spray it into a container and apply with a brush but i need to confirm this first.

^ I haven't used it yet but those $30 caliper paint kits by Dupli-color are brush on. I agree with you, spray on caliper paint is stupid.

when I worked for my dad back in the day, one of my jobs was grinding down the rotors during brake jobs. I've NEVER seen a rotor that wasn't rusty like that.

Originally posted by J-hop
    ^ I haven't used it yet but those $30 caliper paint kits by Dupli-color are brush on. I agree with you, spray on caliper paint is stupid.
    Have you seen a place that sells the paint kit? Havent seen it yet.

I have used it, works fine, bought it at Canadian Tire. Usually on the bottom shelf of the paint section in a black box.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

concept1 also sells them. But yea as Cos has said i've seen it at C-tire

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

After you grind off the rust, treat the metal with a solution of vinegar and water, let it sit for a few hours to kill any rust still attached to the paint.
    wipe it off with water and paper towels.

Then you're ready to paint.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Some rotors don't rust. The coated Powerslot rotor's don't rust. I've seen cars from ontario with powerslots that aren't rusty.

Honestly rotor rust never bothers me.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by gyu

If these are the ones, they are called Konig SE-10's.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Originally posted by dj_rice

If these are the ones, they are called Konig SE-10's.
    Just googled it and that is correct, thanks!

hey i was at cdn tire picking up drum paint and saw a wire brush for $3 so i figured id give it a shot. It worked in getting the rust off the front and didnt have to take the wheel off. I know itll come back but at least i got a good chunk of it off now and it doesnt look like someone urinated on my wheels.

FOr the drums though the wire brush works but holy hell its gonna be a pain in the ass to get to bare metal. I want to paint my drums black.

Decided calipers not worth painting right now, cause unless you get them powder coated the paint is gonna chip anyways and reading mixed reviews on the duplicolor kit. Saw it at cdn tire for $25, but held off. Really dont wanna paint the calipers if i have to touch them up every couple months.

From what i read online, paint on the drums will last longer and not chip as easy. Less heat back there, less rocks.

Heres a pic of my rear drums, if anyone can tell me of a spray to use to get the rust off the easiest that would be great. Dont really wanna wire brush the entire thing.

its either i get the rust off these or buy a new set of drums for $80 / pair @ auto value. But from seeing them, part of the drum is like a rock type and not sure if its a good idea to paint on that cause dont think the paint will even stay.

Last edited by BigKate; 06-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Originally posted by BigKate

not sure if its a good idea to paint on that cause dont think the paint will even stay.
    When i had drums on my crx years back (90's, lol), i had purchased new drums, and had them powder coated, they looked awesome, and did last for a long time!

Honda/Acura guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast