12 3.96%

14 4.62%

5 1.65%

12 3.96%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rate your Life!

My Ride
    GTI

"Money doesn't buy happiness." Uh, do you live in America? 'Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner? Have you? Seriously, have you? Try to frown on a WaveRunner. You can't! They're so awesome, it's just throttle. People smile as they hit the pier." - Daniel Tosh

I read a study somewhere that suggested money can make you happy but you had to have more money than the people that you live around, so if you make 6 figures and live around people that make less you'll be happier than if you make the same and live with other peeps that make the same amount.

Originally posted by J-hop

see the thing is 75k a year isn't going to get you that, maybe 150k a year and you could buy yourself all that and still be comfortable to retire before 80. I am interested as to what studies show 75k a year is the magic number??
    Agreed, I make more than that and if I didnt have my fiances income (about 1k a month) I would have to give up food, shaw, or retirement savings.

There is no way that anything short of 120k a year can net you a house and still be able to retire and I dont have very much in monthly payments.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Life is good, just paid off my debt and came back from my vacation but I'm quitting my full time job (didn't pay that great though) to finish my last year in school so Im sure money will quickly become an issue and then once that finishes finding a good job where I'll finally be able to move out (im 21) on my own will become the next problem. I'll probably be able to get my current job back after cause they love me but the 45K is not enough to move out so I don't know what will happen with that.

I'd want to say 6 but then I remember that I've got a lot of good too so yeah. Plus we all have it made compared to 90% of the world...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Hakkola
    "Money doesn't buy happiness." Uh, do you live in America? 'Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner? Have you? Seriously, have you? Try to frown on a WaveRunner. You can't! They're so awesome, it's just throttle. People smile as they hit the pier." - Daniel Tosh
    i saw my first sad person on one just this past weekend actually... my girlfriend... got up to 100km/h on one of the 255hp rxp seadoos and she cried

My Ride
    E.L

I rated myself a 7. My life is not all that bad, I m content most times, but there are somethings that I do want to improve on. Like get a place of my own; and be able to build an intimate relationship.

I still live at home, and collegues have helped me realized a few things. I ve taken small steps, and is trying to help around the house more. Never realized how lazy I was or how tough it is too mow the lawn.

Always considered myself independant. Began working when I was 14, paid my way through school, bought my own cars, and banked the rest.

Anyways life is gooood

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Waiting for a position to open up so... definitely lower.

Should be better once I finally start though.

I gave myself a 6... because I'm not 100% happy with life at the moment.

We moved out of province, I figured it would improve life as we 'seemed' unhappy in Calary, but my wife hates living here, which in turn makes it hard for me to enjoy being here. I guess we were better off in Calgary after all... lol...

The money out here isn't the greatest either. I knew that coming to the Island, but I suppose I like money more than I like nice scenery and mild weather. Calgary offers far more options in terms of employment, plus I can pick up my painting biz again, I still get hounded by Beyonders to paint... haha.

I think I'll be a 9 once we're moved and settled back in. Can't be a 10... there's always room to improve...

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 10:44 PM.

I don't consider it a mistake or regret the decision to come here. After all, I wouldn't know what I know now without taking the plunge, and it's not that it is all bad either.

We stand to make a handsome profit flipping the house as I bought a fixer upper and the renos are basically complete. We can buy back into Calgary with some extra cash, not a bad deal.

Was nice to experience winter as a minor annoyance instead of a season too...

...that said, I'm definitely a Calgarian. That's my home.

8 for me. I could always make more, have nicer things, travel more, and work less - if at all. That's the dream.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by navdeep
    id say 3 if i think whats wrong, i found out i had cancer going from not ever breaking a bone in my life to stage 4 cancer big shock. Hole life is on hold cant work had a wicked one as well , cant go to school , the hospital is my full time job. But i got great family around me a girlfriend would help but im sure she will come
    People this is perspective.

Navdeep I don't know you from a hole in the wall. But I believe things happen for a reason. Hang in there, & be strong you'll get through this. I have two friends that have fought this. You'll come out a better person.

</4aminspirationalinfomercial>

I'd say an 8.5 Couple curve balls came my way within the past month.

My Ride
    Ford Compact

Anyone find it really interesting how the poll shows a bell curve?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    What comes after a trillion?
    Originally posted by kvg
    a trillion and one

Originally posted by masoncgy
    I don't consider it a mistake or regret......
    I didnt mean to suggest it was a mistake. I dont regret moving there, I learned a lot about how great this city is. I just wanted to point out how I am not the only person who noticed it.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Definitely a 10 this month. Working out of a hotel in Dubai, making twice what I would in Canada, eating gourmet food all day, spent lunch in the pool with 30 Emirates Stewardesses including 1 complete bombshell from Argentina who gave me her #. Meanwhile, got offered a Team Lead job where they want 3x the years of experience I have in Canada. Going out for gourmet steaks now. Fuck yes.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Oh, and in the process of booking a charter float from Inuvik into this lake in NWT for some fishing during my upcoming 5 weeks off, and also finalized plans for Oktoberfest with some buddies in Sept/Oct, followed by a week with a beer tub girl in Italy, followed by 2 weeks with a nurse in France and Switzerland. Fuck yes.

Well had to re-rate again today for a few different reasons. Got the wifes car fixed. Was a lot cheaper than I thought (probably $300.00) and was happy I could do it myself. Got my truck checked out and it seemed to just be my front wheels out of balance. Boys at UrbanX-South helped me out at that. Had a great meeting with my boss today, doesnt seem like I have to worry about my job.

Only real issue is that my health is a little off this week, but got a doctors appointment tomorrow, and that we are still trying to work out the wifes finances since she got into her Masters.

Also, to Navdeep, good luck my friend. Fight and you will get through. Life is a roller coaster but there will always be an upside. Some of us really need to think about what we consider 'problems' in life.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Cos

I, in no way, mean to pick on you, but I noticed that everyone always assumes life in BC is better and anyone from Alberta who says otherwise just doesnt understand.

I moved to Vernon for work and we lasted 10 months. Not that I hated the place but it actually has ruined Vernon for me. I dont really WANT to travel there anymore.

Anyways I just wanted to point out how someone else noticed it too. Sorry it is difficult. We moved back to Calgary and actually appreciate the city (cheaper prices, decent people) a lot more than we used to.
    I'm curious why you and other people had motivation to leave calgary for BC?

At some point of my life I want to move to BC, but im not 100% sure about that. I think Calgary is a perfect sized city for me, its just the weather that kills it for me. I've been born and raised in Calgary and I still can't get used to it, and I don't think it's something I want to deal with for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 10:44 PM.

My Ride
    2013 C63 AMG , 2022 Acura RDX A Spec, 2005 BMW M3

I really like to thank you guys for your kind words and support. I been on beyond since 05 and met and no alot of people on it , but some of the random pm's i got for support from members means alot .
    2022 Acura RDX A Spec
    2013 C63 AMG Sedan
    2006 Nissan X-Trial
    2005 Bmw M3 vert
    2008 Ducati 848
    1977 Ford F150

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Cos

I was one of those people who used to bitch and complain about Calgary and not know a damn thing I was talking about. I wanted to get away from the cold, shitty drivers, and have nice scenery.

When I graduated school I applied to a few different places and one was BC Hydro. They hired me on for Vernon. I got to travel to Vancouver at the company expense for my interview. They put me up at the Hilton hotel for 3 days and paid for everything. I was super impressed and felt very important. Then I got offered Vernon, I had travelled every year to Pentiction, Kelowna, Vernon, and Sicamouse with my family and the place brought back great memories.

I instantly took the job and moved. I found out that the town is boring as shit. The Okanagan still gets VERY cold in the winter (and actually more snow than Calgary). Doing shit is really expensive (summer you have to own a boat, winter you pretty much have to ski). There arent a lot of young people and the ones there already have friends from growing up. In the summer it takes hours to go shopping or out for dinner because of all the tourists and in the winter the shops all close at 5 people only retired locals are around.

I was then moving to Vancouver and found out that rent alone was 1.5x my bi-weekly pay cheque. Gas was crazy expensive even then. Insurance for the car was cheap but had to sell my motorbike because I couldnt afford it.

The scenery was beautiful but other than that.... I didnt enjoy my time there.

Additionally: I was also born and raised here. If you are a relaxed, layed back person, BC may not be too bad. If you enjoy waking up on a saturday and reading the paper and making breakfast until lunch, then watering your lawn until 3 or 4, then starting the BBQ it is a good place. I love the city life too much. Also the unions were killing me.
    yeah, seems hard to actually understand how it is until you move there. i've been to big cities like chicago, houston etc.. and i just hated how big the city was. i loved houston for its perfect weather, but it took us so long to travel around the city. thats why i think calgary is a perfect size, the weather is just balls.

its definitely hard to decide since i graduate in a couple years and most engineers go into the O & G. it'd be a shame to just go somewhere else when all the $$ is here.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast