Quantcast
Suspected drunk driver flees accident scene, citizens help police track suspect hidin - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suspected drunk driver flees accident scene, citizens help police track suspect hidin

My Ride
    Turbo charged 1977 Datsun 280Z

Default Suspected drunk driver flees accident scene, citizens help police track suspect hidin

A hit and run driver suspected of being under the influence of alcohol led Calgary police officers on a chase through North Haven backyards early Saturday morning before finally being discovered hiding near a residence.

Approximately 40 minutes after midnight Saturday a car with two occupants was struck by a Dodge Ram pickup truck at John Laurie Boulevard and 14 St. N.W. The driver of the offending vehicle fled the scene, rendering no aid to the victims in the car.

The female victim suffered critical injuries and is currently in hospital and has been upgraded to serious but stable condition. The male victim suffered minor injuries.

A short time following the collision, an off-duty police officer noticed the truck being driven with fresh damage. He contacted the District Sergeant and continued to follow the vehicle while directing marked units to the location.

Once marked units came on scene, the offender bailed out of the vehicle and fled on foot into the darkness in the community of North Haven. Police quickly contained the area. As the offender attempted to elude officers by running through the yards, numerous citizens contacted police his location.

With the assistance of the HAWC helicopter the offender was spotted attempting to hide in a residential area. The offender, a 23-year old male, was subsequently taken into custody by Canine and patrol officers without incident.

The Calgary Police Traffic section is continuing the investigation and charges are pending. Alcohol is believed to be a factor in this collision.

thanks e31
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

I'd really like to see stiffer penalties being brought against people that leave the scene of accident when the other party has been hurt. It's getting out of hand.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    I'd really like to see stiffer penalties being brought against people that leave the scene of accident when the other party has been hurt. It's getting out of hand.
    This, and stiffer penalties (or perhaps more creative deterrents?) for driving while intoxicated in general.
    Last edited by J-D; 07-16-2011 at 04:30 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I think it's the Swedish system, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is one Scandinavian country that has a no-strikes rule. You get caught DUI ***ONCE***, that's it. License is gone. Forever. And you can never get it back.

THAT is what we need, tbh. It'll never happen, but one can dream.
    Geek

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    Wish this could happen as well. Too bad it most likely will never happen.

1 month mandatory jail time + criminal record.

Also, allow 6 months of letting the public know before the new rules go into effect so no one can make the excuse of "I didn't know..".

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    I think it's the Swedish system, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is one Scandinavian country that has a no-strikes rule. You get caught DUI ***ONCE***, that's it. License is gone. Forever. And you can never get it back.
    Wow that is a huge deterrent. Totally would work too as most people would not want to risk losing their license. Drinking and driving will NEVER stop unless the penalty is extreme.

Originally posted by Vagabond142

THAT is what we need, tbh. It'll never happen, but one can dream.
    Poland.

The BAC limit is zero.

.02% and under is punishabe by imprisonment for up to three years. .05% and higher is lifetime driving bad + prison time.

Taiwan also has a lifetime driving ban if you cause a serious accident while under the effects of Alcohol.

Sidenote: Nova Scotia seems to be headed in the right direction.

First offence is pretty much the same as it is here. Second offence is three year suspension instead of two. Third offence is indefinite driving ban (minimum 10 years.) Fourth offence is mandatory lifetime driving ban.
    Last edited by calgary403; 07-16-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    BOOOOOya!!!

Interesting read on where other countries stand on DUI convictions. Many make Canada look fairly weak on this issue. Canada ought to take a ball or tit on the first conviction plus jail time and a sticker on your car stating you have been convicted in the past five years. On the second conviction they are coming for your right foot and you are riding a bus or calling a cab. No wait, keep slapping wrists, it seems to be working well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_d...law_by_country
    Last edited by kamakurakid; 07-16-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The question remains, how many people who are drunks give a shit enough to not drive without a licence?

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The question remains, how many people who are drunks give a shit enough to not drive without a licence?
    judging by that recent thread where a guy asked how bad it would be if he drove on a suspended license and a bunch of canoes chimed in saying "i've done it before", the worst offenders would probably risk it anyways.

Which is why on top of instantly losing your license for life you should do jailtime if caught driving again, and serious jail time, not some weak over nighters.

They also need to make it so people can NOT refuse breathalyzer tests. I can't wait to hear the beyond oppression police bitch that it violates our rights to force people to comply, but if you haven't been drinking you have nothing to worry about, let cops do their job. If you refuse a breathalyzer test it should be jail time for obstruction of justice and it would be even better if refusing a breathalyzer test meant that you automatically plead guilty and lose your license for life.
    Last edited by J-hop; 07-17-2011 at 10:15 AM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I always thought the insurance hikes from a DUI would stop pretty much anyone from driving drunk.

I have quite a few friends who got DUIs when they were younger and when I hear how much they have to pay it makes me never want to have a sip and drive.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    2000 323i

Originally posted by J-hop

judging by that recent thread where a guy asked how bad it would be if he drove on a suspended license and a bunch of canoes chimed in saying "i've done it before", the worst offenders would probably risk it anyways.

Which is why on top of instantly losing your license for life you should do jailtime if caught driving again, and serious jail time, not some weak over nighters.

They also need to make it so people can NOT refuse breathalyzer tests. I can't wait to hear the beyond oppression police bitch that it violates our rights to force people to comply, but if you haven't been drinking you have nothing to worry about, let cops do their job. If you refuse a breathalyzer test it should be jail time for obstruction of justice and it would be even better if refusing a breathalyzer test meant that you automatically plead guilty and lose your license for life.
    Agreed. I used to get bronchitis quite often, but even if I had it, I would at the very least attempt it, and if I was unable, would gladly give a blood sample. There is some things, like nude scanners, which can be considered an invasion of privacy. The only thing police can get from you blowing into a breathalyzer is your BAC, unless it's some weirdo that gets off on seeing someone blow into a straw.

EDIT - And Poland is 0.02% not 0 I thought. That's what everyone said while I was there a few weeks ago anyhow, and that wikipedia article seems to agree.
    Last edited by Nissanaddict; 07-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Mike

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by calgary403

Poland.

The BAC limit is zero.

.02% and under is punishabe by imprisonment for up to three years. .05% and higher is lifetime driving bad + prison time.
    I'm from Poland have most of my family there. I think Poland's rules are a little too extreme. Basically, if you have two beers the night before and drive the next morning, you could lose your license. This goes too far. I get the reasons for deterring drunk driving, but 0.05% being a lifetime ban... come on.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Not that it makes a huge deal, but the off-duty officer that followed the suspect was a SHE, not a he, as the article states. And she did an awesome job with it, too... shame the media isn't even crediting her with a proper gender.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by JustGo
    Not that it makes a huge deal, but the off-duty officer that followed the suspect was a SHE, not a he, as the article states. And she did an awesome job with it, too... shame the media isn't even crediting her with a proper gender.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    2000 323i

Originally posted by Feruk

I'm from Poland have most of my family there. I think Poland's rules are a little too extreme. Basically, if you have two beers the night before and drive the next morning, you could lose your license. This goes too far. I get the reasons for deterring drunk driving, but 0.05% being a lifetime ban... come on.
    If you go by the thread that Rage made about a year ago where he got a breathalyzer and drank with some friends, 0.05% is plenty drunk.
    Mike

I always thought alberta's limit was about 1 beer an hour. Not that I use that as a guideline, if I have 1 beer an hour, I don't drive, taxi's are cheap as shit, unless you are too poor and probably shouldn't be wasting your money on alcohol anyways, hahaha.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by J-hop
    unless you are too poor and probably shouldn't be wasting your money on alcohol anyways, hahaha.

I'm just going to go find the closest bridge to jump off of now...

My Ride
    1989 JDM SW20, 2013 Civic LX 5Spd

Only issue is, the people that have the mindset that drinking and driving is OKAY, are the same people who will go out and drive without a license.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast