Quantcast
Telus Optik TV vs Shaw - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Telus Optik TV vs Shaw

I switched not too long ago and I have mixed feelings with Telus. Shaw just sent me another bill for November, I switched in the beginning of this month and I have been trying to get ahold of them but the wait time is ridiculous.

My Ride
    Vmax

Anyone working for Telus know when Optic TV is coming to Edgemont?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by autosm
    Anyone working for Telus know when Optic TV is coming to Edgemont?
    Shouldn't it already be there? My parents live in a 40 year old house and have optik in breaside, surely a newer community should have it, like I do in Evergreen. Or are you talking real optical fiber?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I had Telus for 2 months and I have since cancelled and I'm back with Shaw.

Telus service was constantly cutting out leaving us with no internet or tv for the night. I called Telus only to deal with the worst customer service. I called Telus 5 times from the first complaint until I cancelled and I easily spent 6-7 hours on hold.
    They sent a tech out to inspect the install and he was 3.5 hours late only to find, "no issues with the install or hardware."

After a very long time on hold and a very heated "discussion" with Telus customer service I broke the 2 year contract and they refunded my money for the 2 months I was with Telus.

Shaw may suck, but at least I can actually watch tv or use the internet when I want to.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Calgary Television providers = FAIL

I despise Shaw for their ultra-poor customer service but it looks like moving to Telus would be a lateral move at best.

My Ride
    F30

I switched to telus about two months ago and its been great, Only real issue i had was some billing issues, which i called in and got credited no problem. Didn''t have to hold for too long either, probably about 5-10 minutes.
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I notice that some of Telus's online support isn't as good. I always get stalls and errors when trying to use online services. For example: I got my first bill with Telus and it seems way high - so I wanted to look at the details of the bill. But nope... it just sits there online.

So now I need to call in, wait on hold, and then work out why they are overbilling me. Doesn't seem right.

Now with this said, I still find that Telus's interface is way better and faster than my slow slow slow shaw box.

I love having PVR, which I got for free with the current Telus offer.

The installer was friendly and on time - though he took all day to install the system.

My Ride
    F30

^ My first bill also seemed fairly large and I called in and told them it was supposed to be a lot cheaper so they credited my account without me having to argue with them

Another thing with telus is the optic tv app for smartphones, you can set recordings from your phone with the app and your phone doesnt need to be with telus.
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've had Telus Optik (TV and Internet) for a couple weeks short of a year now and I've got to say I'm very happy with it. I did have some reservations about it at first being that it's Telus, but I haven't had any problems yet. I'm actually pretty surprised to say I haven't even had any complaints about the customer service either.

The only thing that was remotely annoying was trying to activate a new PVR box. Futureshop was selling PVR boxes for ~$100 during boxing week and I picked one up so I could return the rental one. Telus wanted to send a tech guy to come install my new box when all I needed was an activation code for my new box. I had to get escalated a few times before I could convince them it really wasn't necessary for them to waste my time or the tech guy's time to come all the way over to punch in a 5 digit code.

Those of you who are having long wait times, when are you typically calling? I find if you're calling anytime in the morning you'll be stuck waiting a while, but call anytime after noon and 5:30 and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting hold of a CSR.

My Ride
    Vmax

Originally posted by eblend

Shouldn't it already be there? My parents live in a 40 year old house and have optik in breaside, surely a newer community should have it, like I do in Evergreen. Or are you talking real optical fiber?

Agreed but it’s not the case up here. My house was built in 98 but still not available as per Telus. Apparently they have to upgrade the feed to the neighbourhood then each house can get it.

My house in Edmonton built in 93 had fibre optic cable to the house.

No optik in hawkwood yet so it depends on the area.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

I love shaw

Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Looking at going from Shaw to Telus because the price difference is quite significant. Looking at the 25mb internet + medium optik TV + HD PVR rental and see how it goes for 6 months. At $80 bucks/month, it's not bad vs. Shaw which is ~150/month plus I'd need the box!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

I love Telus. Super classy menus and haven't had any problems at all. Only problem is our 1 year discount is expiring so we might switch back to Shaw.

TV and internet service providers are horrible for this - as soon as you join another company they will throw some awesome, cheap offers at you to get you to switch. But if you've been a customer for 10 years good luck getting one of those super deals. They don't reward loyalty at all (which I think is unfair to their long term customers), and so I feel no guilt for switching back and forth every year if it saves me $50 a month.
    Crystal

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Crystalrw
    I love Telus. Super classy menus and haven't had any problems at all. Only problem is our 1 year discount is expiring so we might switch back to Shaw.
    Seriously think twice before you do that. Read my comments earlier in this thread re: Gateway...

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

I might have no choice but to go back to Shaw. I have Telus Optik now and love it, but I'm moving to Mckenzie Town and they say they have no Optik available for me, so may give the new Shaw Gateway a try. I'm sure I can get out of my contract with Telus as they cannot provide the service I signed up for.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:32 AM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by MPowered
    I might have no choice but to go back to Shaw. I have Telus Optik now and love it, but I'm moving to Mckenzie Town and they say they have no Optik available for me, so may give the new Shaw Gateway a try. I'm sure I can get out of my contract with Telus as they cannot provide the service I signed up for.
    I'm in McKenzie Lake and I get Optik here.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Originally posted by A790

I'm in McKenzie Lake and I get Optik here.
    Telus has only so many portals, so they tell me, to allocate to users in a certain area, so I have to wait til some become available when people move, change etc, which could be days, weeks or months. I can't even get on a wait list. They offered to put me on Telus satellite until Optik is available, no thanks!

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast