Quantcast
Telus Optik TV vs Shaw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Telus Optik TV vs Shaw

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Default Telus Optik TV vs Shaw

I'm moving to a new condo in the SE and debating on TELUS or Shaw for my TV. I know with Optik TV you have to subscribe to an internet service or home phone from TELUS as well. I don't need a home phone and won't be subscribing to that but curious to know if anyone on here is using one of the other and what their feedback is.

Research I've done and the reviews I've read online seem to favor Optik TV as of late. A couple of friends have Optik TV and it's pretty slick. I know most of the channels are the same and the price point for what I'm looking is pretty much the same as well. I do download movies/TV shows a decent amount and plan on getting Netflix when I get into my condo. The internet plan with the Optik TV is 250 GB upload/download limit. I THINK that should be enough but that's really my only concern before I pull the trigger on ordering the Optik TV.

My Ride
    Sentra

There should be lots of discussion on beyond regarding this. However my two cents is that Optik is much better than Shaw.

I've had Shaw for many many years, and just switched a few months ago. No regrets. The interface is much more refined and is much faster to use. Their 25Mbps internet is rock solid to, no slow downs during the peak times like Shaw did for me. I could go on but hope that helps.

My Ride
    Ford F150

The HD on optik is awesome. Better menus. The SD is pretty lame IMO.

I kinda got screwed over by telus. I confirmed with them over the phone my addres, and they confirmed it was available in my area, and I would be able to watch/pvr 3 HD streams at a time. When the tech came he told me that wasn't true, my area (downtown ) only supported 1 HD stream. So I only get 1 HD stream. It's pretty annoying.

The support is usual telus, mediocre. They over billed me a few times.

Internet is rock solid though, as said.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Love my optik, been with then since before christmas, switched my parents to this as well. Solid setup, great interface, ages ahead of shaw. I used to rock shaw internet for the last 14 years and recently it got really bad at evenings, so I switched to their optik internet as well and it has been rock solid, always fast.

Really have nothing bad to say about it. My friend has shaw and only staying with them because of his current promotion, which runs out soon, at which point he will be switchign to telus as well.

Don't worry about the 250gb download limit...it is not enforced. I download a ton more than that and my online tracking says 0 out of 0 gb used every single month.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Just got Gateway. It suck(ed). Called them up, bitched, they came out Friday, and now it's pretty awesome. Shaw could have something decent here.

It's AS GOOD or BETTER than Optik in most areas. The menu's aren't quite as responsive, but that's supposed to change in the next firmware update.

My current promotion with Shaw ends on July 23 and Shaw can't keep handing out promotional pricing, so I switched to Telus for their introductory pricing for HDTV with sports and Internet for $53 for the first six months (this is without a contract).

After I canceled with Shaw, they sent me a letter saying that after my promotion with Telus, Shaw will have introductory pricing on TV and Internet for $36 for the first six months.

I can't comment on Telus services as it starts on July 23, but both companies are really competing for your services so there's some benefit to the customers.
    Has an IQ of 138, but can't figure out basic algebra.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by A790
    It's AS GOOD or BETTER than Optik in most areas. The menu's aren't quite as responsive, but that's supposed to change in the next firmware update.
    Everything with Shaw is always just a firmware update away. Sadly my software experience with them never improved over the years. With Telus its using Microsoft, which is used on AT&T too, it gets updates all the time. The gateway sounds promising though.

My Ride
    08 GSR

I'm wondernig whether or not to do telus or shaw. I really wanna go with Shaw, but to buy the hardware its so much more expensive than Telus.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by GoChris

Everything with Shaw is always just a firmware update away. Sadly my software experience with them never improved over the years. With Telus its using Microsoft, which is used on AT&T too, it gets updates all the time. The gateway sounds promising though.
    I think the firmware updated once in the last 3 to4 years that have owned the original HD PVR.

So I'm not holding my breath on getting better.

BTW A790, what did they fix for you to make it better?

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I kinda got screwed over by telus. I confirmed with them over the phone my addres, and they confirmed it was available in my area, and I would be able to watch/pvr 3 HD streams at a time. When the tech came he told me that wasn't true, my area (downtown ) only supported 1 HD stream. So I only get 1 HD stream. It's pretty annoying.
    I got the same from my recent signing up. The techs said its very normal for the sales people to have no idea what they are talking about.

My Ride
    Ford Compact

Originally posted by spike98

I got the same from my recent signing up. The techs said its very normal for the sales people to have no idea what they are talking about.
    Haha thats funny.

I had Telus years ago for internet only and it was terrible. It would go down several times on the weekends and frequently during the week.

Maybe it has improved since then, but I certainly wouldn't complain about my service with Shaw.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    What comes after a trillion?
    Originally posted by kvg
    a trillion and one

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Xtrema

I think the firmware updated once in the last 3 to4 years that have owned the original HD PVR.

So I'm not holding my breath on getting better.

BTW A790, what did they fix for you to make it better?
    Firmware update I believe. He came and updated everything I guess. Runs much better now.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

How are current Telus subscribers liking the optic internet portion of the package?

I've had some horrible Telus experiences in the past, but Shaw's price on basic digital TV a phone and extreme internet is horrendous and I'm thinking about making the switch. The free PVR and xbox doesnt hurt either. All I got from shaw for a 150/month package is one of those Avocent digital boxes that doesnt even have a high def output which is rediculous.

Originally posted by spike98

An update to this...

I just got off the phone with telus and they gave me a $20 bill credit immediately and after the 6 month promo price i am getting a $20/month credit.

My Ride
    08 GSR

For Telus you have to sign up for a 3 year contract? And Shaw there is no contract right?

Originally posted by V6-BoI
    For Telus you have to sign up for a 3 year contract? And Shaw there is no contract right?
    I believe that's correct and it's the only reason I haven't jumped ship yet. 3 years is a long fucking time.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

^^Incorrect. If you go month to month, you pay for the equipment rentals, $5/month for the HD Set top box, $15 for the HD PVR. On a 1 year contract, you get a $5 reduction from the equipment rentals so either free STB or $10 for the PVR. 2 year contracts is $10 off and 3 year is $15 meaning free PVR. You can also get a free STB along with the free PVR but that promo is only available to the door to door salespeople, normally if you get the free PVR and STB on a 3 year contract, Telus won't give you their 6 month promos, but the door to door people can give you both boxes and 6 month promo prices.

I work for Telus doing sales so let me know if you guys have any questions about pricing and promotions.

And I know I am biased but Telus is cheaper then Shaw by about $10-$15 every month if not more. Just checking their website, a Shaw package with basic phone, extreme high speed internet and basic cable with 2 digital boxes is $99 with what looks like no 6 month promotional pricing, the equivalent Telus package for the same thing is $56 for 6 months and then $90 afterwards. The Telus package also comes with an HD PVR and a STB, free 250 gb Xbox 360 and 6 months of all the sports channel free along with 6 months of Super Channel free too. But you have to sign a 3 year contract if you want the equipment and Xbox for free.

Probably should have checked the website, ha :P

Just built my bundle on your website and, on no contract, I end up paying $30 more per month with Telus, plus another $7/month that I have to continue paying for my Shaw gateway, but I save $354 due to promos. So after about a year I break even, at which point I can re-evaluate. Hell, at that point I can just switch back to Shaw for their promos.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Appreciate all the info. I think I'm going to sign up for Optik TV/internet later this week. Reviews I've read online seem fantastic as well. Don't have a problem doing the three year contract at all either.

Need to find someone to buy my 160 GB Shaw PVR now.

My Ride
    an econo box

I've been a long time Shaw user for both TV and internet and just switched to Telus Optik TV and internet. I get the same HD channels that I had with Shaw, high speed internet that's a bit faster than shaw, plus the ability to record/playback from any TV in the house. I got the Xbox 360 deal but even after the promo prices expire I'll still be paying about $45-$50/month less than I was with Shaw.

I did however, have to sign a 3-year contract.

Ah well.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast