Quantcast
Selling expensive Guitar on eBay - tips/how to prevent getting scammed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Selling expensive Guitar on eBay - tips/how to prevent getting scammed?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Default Selling expensive Guitar on eBay - tips/how to prevent getting scammed?

I'm selling my '92 Fender Telecaster Plus V1 on kijiji, and a guy from Minnesota e-mails me asking to do a 'late-night' buy-it-now auction on eBay for my asking price of $1500CDN + S/H.

I've heard of people scamming you on Paypal by returning a 'similar' item but not the same item (swapping my tele for a mexican made POS) claiming something was wrong.

I'm really nervous because this is such a nice guitar, has anyone sold one on eBay before or have any advice? Should I request Western Union or Bank Transfer?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    94' Terd

Based on my experiences the safest way to do this is through Ebay and Paypal. Using these two mediums the transaction will be well documented and you will have two dispute centres on your side if you feel you get scammed.

I will not pretend to know anything about Western Union or Bank Transfer, so I have excluded these from my response.

I would do the following:
    1. Set-up Ebay auction with guitar well photographed in the auction, include partial serial numbers and any unique characteristics IN THE PHOTOS. This will prevent him from disputing the transaction as he will have to prove to Paypal/Ebay that the guitar he received is NOT the guitar in the photos.
    2. Prepare extensive documentation of how the guitar is shipped. Perhaps even take pictures of the serial number as you're putting the guitar into the box. If you're seriously worried about getting scammed, it is worth your time to document EVERYTHING in case this ends up in a dispute.

I've been through the dispute process and it is a HUGE pain in the ass, but PayPal arbitrators will step in to resolve the issue if you can't figure it out on your own. Based on the evidence, they will decide who is in the wrong and settle the transaction in the most fair way possible. It sucks, but as far as I know these services are not available to you if you use Western Union or Bank Transfer.

EDIT: If there are any inaccuracies in my notes above please correct me as it has been a while since my last online transaction experience.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I was thinking of documenting everything down to an HD video of me packing it up. Western Union would work in my favor because he cannot be refunded. It's like giving me cash - which is why I'm sure he wouldn't agree.
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege/ 2007 Mercedes C280 4MATIC

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by zipdoa
    I was thinking of documenting everything down to an HD video of me packing it up. Western Union would work in my favor because he cannot be refunded. It's like giving me cash - which is why I'm sure he wouldn't agree.

Personally, as a reasonably cautious internet marketplace participant, I would run if anyone even suggested western union.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Ebay/Paypal.

Don't ship until money is transferred out of Paypal.

Document everything in case of dispute.

Make sure the transaction adhere to and eligible for all Paypal/Ebay insurance coverages.

My Ride
    E92 m3

Tell him to send the money (paypal) as a Gift.
    Once he does that, he can not put in a chargeback unless it was a stolen credit card and the CC company did the chargeback

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

If your guitar has a serial number or production certificate ANYWHERE on it (ie on the tuner key baseplate, under the pickups, anywhere) WRITE THEM DOWN and DO NOT tell the person what they are. If you get it shipped back to you, go to Paypal and say "here are the documented serial numbers, here are the ones on the item he shipped me, they don't match. He = scammer."

Then post it on beyond and let CSI do their work
    Geek

My Ride
    Forester STI

IMO if you dont like the feel of the deal, walk away.
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    2009 Forester

I've bought and sold a few guitars on ebay.

From my experience, document EVERYTHING on your guitar. if there's a little nick, chip, ding, whatever, take lots of pictures of it. As has been mentioned, take pictures of the serial number, too.

Do some research and find out what the differences are between your axe and a made in mexico tele. Sometimes there are stubtle differences like the logo being different, different number of screws on the truss rod cover, different neck plate on the neck joint. Sometimes there will be info in the pickup cavity under the pickguard.

Fully document the packing process. don't forget to take the tension off the strings before you pack it for shippping. If the guitar moves around inside the case, try to add some foam padding. Remember: there's no such thing as too much bubble wrap.

Go to guitarworks or one of the other stores in down and ask if you can have a cardboard guitar shipping box. I got mine from GW and it was perfect.

Insure the guitar for FULL VALUE and pass the 'savings' to the buyer if it's a made in the US tele there won't be any duty on it when it crosses the border.
    Tim

My Ride
    W204

Get all his info too, including phone numbers (land line preferred over a cell) and CALL the number and talk to the guy personally. This is what I did for a couple in Sask that bought a pair of speakers off me.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by TimG
    Do some research and find out what the differences are between your axe and a made in mexico tele. Sometimes there are stubtle differences like the logo being different, different number of screws on the truss rod cover, different neck plate on the neck joint. Sometimes there will be info in the pickup cavity under the pickguard.
    I believe the headstock shape and size and location of the stickers/logos vary from where the guitar was made too so take extra pictures of that.

Also depending on where the guitar was made, the wood used is different too, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to weigh it and make note of it.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let the buyer know you've documented everything so he doesn't waste your time trying to pass off a fake.