Quantcast
Motorist saves mom of 3 on Highway 1 with Hollywood-style stunt driving - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorist saves mom of 3 on Highway 1 with Hollywood-style stunt driving

My Ride
    Turbo charged 1977 Datsun 280Z

Default Motorist saves mom of 3 on Highway 1 with Hollywood-style stunt driving

My Ride
    Bicycle

Hi guys.

http://www.vancouversun.com/High+spe...784/story.html

METRO VANCOUVER -- A 44-year-old woman is in critical condition today after suffering a heart attack while driving on Highway 1 Thursday resulting in a high-speed rescue by other motorists that has astonished police.

"It's amazing, really amazing what they did," said RCMP "E" Division official Cpl. Annie Linteau of the quick-thinking motorists who pulled off a stunt that is usually the stuff of Hollywood make-believe.

Not only did they rescue the woman they prevented the calamitous scenario of a car travelling at speed running out of control in the westbound lane of a major highway during rush hour.

One of the rescuers — Burnaby salesman Courtney Smith — put his life at risk to save the woman, said Linteau.

"Mr. Smith displayed an enormous amount of bravery," she said.

It was shortly after 8:30 a.m. and Smith, 40, who works for Laser Valley Printing, was on his way into Vancouver driving in the middle lane of the highway doing the speed limit when ahead he saw a black Volkswagen suddenly veer to the left from the centre lane into the HOV lane narrowing missing a Ferrari.

"The Volkswagen was driving straight then all of a sudden it went to the left, just missing the Ferrari and was bouncing along against the meridian barrier," Smith said.

The Ferrari slowed down but Smith watched as a black Jeep with two men inside pulled alongside the Volkswagen and kept station with it to prevent it from slewing back into traffic.

"I was wondering what was wrong and as I passed the Jeep I could see they were boxing the VW in so it couldn't come back into traffic and when I saw her [the VW driver] slumped over on to the passenger's seat I pulled in front of her to slow her down."

In an instant Smith had come to the conclusion that the unconscious woman had to reached as quickly as possible.

"If you have a heart attack you only have eight or nine minutes or so and I knew we had to stop her now," he said.

The cars were travelling at about 80 kilometres an hour when he pulled in front and slowed down until her car smacked into his and pushed him ahead.

"She was smashing against the guard rail and banging into me. I'd put on the brakes and then when I felt the weight of her car pushing me ahead I'd release them a bit. It was bang, bang, bang all down the highway but after about 500 yards we had her stopped," he said.

While this was going on Ron MacLeod, an enforcement officer with the Agricultural Land Commission, had placed his truck behind the Volkswagen and put on his emergency lights to warn other motorists.

When the stricken VW was brought to a halt and the cavalcade stopped, Smith and the two occupants of the Jeep ran to get to the woman out of her car but the doors were locked.

"One of the guys had a little wrench and was trying to break the glass. I had a heavy tire iron and I busted the back window and we opened the doors and got her out," he said.

"When me and Ron grabbed her she didn't have a pulse. We dragged her out and put her in front of her car on the highway," said Smith.

While the two men in the Jeep phoned 911 and waved vehicles around them, MacLeod and Smith began CPR.

"We were doing compressions, Ron was doing mouth-to-mouth and we finally got her breathing. Then a cop came and he took over the compressions. Then the paramedics came," he said.
    © Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

hey guys,

Courtney Smith may have been a Hollywood stunt driver in a past life. Thursday morning he used his car to stop the Volkswagen Golf of a 44-year-old Langley mother of three after she had a heart attack while driving on Highway 1 near Coquitlam, B.C.

An enforcement officer with the Agricultural Land Commission, Ron MacLeod, stopped his truck, activated his emergency lights and helped Smith smash the driver’s window of the woman’s Volkswagen Golf with a tire iron. With the assistance of two other motorists they dragged her out of the vehicle. At that time she had no pulse, according to police.

MacLeod performed CPR on her until a police officer arrived several minutes later.

“Mr. MacLeod began performing CPR right there in the HOV lane, with little regard for his own safety,” said Cpl. Annie Linteau, spokesperson for RCMP in BC. “An RCMP traffic officer arrived two minutes later, and assisted Mr. MacLeod in giving compressions to the woman, and called for emergency health services.”

The incident occurred just before 9 a.m. while she was driving westbound on Highway 1 near the Brunette Ave. off ramp, which is north of New Westminister. The woman lost consciousness and her Volkswagen Golf contacted the highway barrier.

“In an amazing display of bravery, skillful driving and quick thinking, Mr. Courtney Smith pulled his vehicle – a Kia Sedona – in front of the woman’s car. Using his vehicle he managed to safely bring the woman’s car to a stop,” says Cpl. Linteau.

Smith, the sales manager for Laser Valley Technologies in Surrey, says he spends a lot of time on the road. On this particular day he was driving over the Port Mann bridge when he noticed a black Volkswagen ahead of him cut off a Ferrari.

“It was a pretty bad cut off. The Ferrari, instead of speeding up and going around, stayed behind the car. And a Jeep was staying beside the car, too. It was sort of weird because they were boxing the car,” he said.

Smith drove up beside the Golf and noticed the woman behind the wheel was unconscious and slumped into the passenger seat. And the car was periodically slamming into the guard rail. Immediately, Smith knew what he had to do.

He accelerated, maneuvered his Kia Sedona in front of the Golf, and allowed the other car to catch up to him. Then he gently applied the brakes. The two cars were travelling about 40 or 5o kmh at that point, he said. After 200 or 300 metres, the Golf hit the guard rail again and slowly came to a stop.

The Good Samaritans initially tried to break the driver’s window with a wrench, but when that proved to be too small Smith scrambled into his trunk and emerged with the tire iron. Once the window was broken, they opened the door and laid the woman on the road.

MacLeod asked Smith if he was qualified in CPR and Smith replied that he wasn’t (he had some CPR training as a child, but only remembers the basics, he says). MacLeod, who is qualified, began administering CPR and quickly had the woman breathing again. An RCMP officer showed up very quickly, according to Smith, and took over the life-saving compressions, while MacLeod administered mouth-to-mouth.

“It was fast thinking on all our parts to get her out of the car, but it was Ron who really brought her back,” said Smith.

The RCMP checked on the well being of the woman Friday morning and report that she is still listed in critical condition.

“We’re very thankful for the actions of Mr. Smith and Mr. MacLeod, as well as the other two motorists who stopped to help. They not only helped save this woman’s life, it’s very likely they also prevented other serious injuries or worse, as this all occurred on the busiest highway in the region, during rush hour,” said Cpl. Linteau.

When asked how it feels to be a hero, the modest says he has children and he could not imagine what it would be like for his family if his wife had a heart attack and died under similar circumstances.

My Ride
    Grimace

Bonjour les hommes,
    Courtney Smith may have been a Hollywood stunt driver in a past life. Thursday morning he used his car to stop the Volkswagen Golf of a 44-year-old Langley mother of three after she had a heart attack while driving on Highway 1 near Coquitlam, B.C.

An enforcement officer with the Agricultural Land Commission, Ron MacLeod, stopped his truck, activated his emergency lights and helped Smith smash the driver’s window of the woman’s Volkswagen Golf with a tire iron. With the assistance of two other motorists they dragged her out of the vehicle. At that time she had no pulse, according to police.

MacLeod performed CPR on her until a police officer arrived several minutes later.

“Mr. MacLeod began performing CPR right there in the HOV lane, with little regard for his own safety,” said Cpl. Annie Linteau, spokesperson for RCMP in BC. “An RCMP traffic officer arrived two minutes later, and assisted Mr. MacLeod in giving compressions to the woman, and called for emergency health services.”

The incident occurred just before 9 a.m. while she was driving westbound on Highway 1 near the Brunette Ave. off ramp, which is north of New Westminister. The woman lost consciousness and her Volkswagen Golf contacted the highway barrier.

“In an amazing display of bravery, skillful driving and quick thinking, Mr. Courtney Smith pulled his vehicle – a Kia Sedona – in front of the woman’s car. Using his vehicle he managed to safely bring the woman’s car to a stop,” says Cpl. Linteau.

Smith, the sales manager for Laser Valley Technologies in Surrey, says he spends a lot of time on the road. On this particular day he was driving over the Port Mann bridge when he noticed a black Volkswagen ahead of him cut off a Ferrari.

“It was a pretty bad cut off. The Ferrari, instead of speeding up and going around, stayed behind the car. And a Jeep was staying beside the car, too. It was sort of weird because they were boxing the car,” he said.

Smith drove up beside the Golf and noticed the woman behind the wheel was unconscious and slumped into the passenger seat. And the car was periodically slamming into the guard rail. Immediately, Smith knew what he had to do.

He accelerated, maneuvered his Kia Sedona in front of the Golf, and allowed the other car to catch up to him. Then he gently applied the brakes. The two cars were travelling about 40 or 5o kmh at that point, he said. After 200 or 300 metres, the Golf hit the guard rail again and slowly came to a stop.

The Good Samaritans initially tried to break the driver’s window with a wrench, but when that proved to be too small Smith scrambled into his trunk and emerged with the tire iron. Once the window was broken, they opened the door and laid the woman on the road.

MacLeod asked Smith if he was qualified in CPR and Smith replied that he wasn’t (he had some CPR training as a child, but only remembers the basics, he says). MacLeod, who is qualified, began administering CPR and quickly had the woman breathing again. An RCMP officer showed up very quickly, according to Smith, and took over the life-saving compressions, while MacLeod administered mouth-to-mouth.

“It was fast thinking on all our parts to get her out of the car, but it was Ron who really brought her back,” said Smith.

The RCMP checked on the well being of the woman Friday morning and report that she is still listed in critical condition.

“We’re very thankful for the actions of Mr. Smith and Mr. MacLeod, as well as the other two motorists who stopped to help. They not only helped save this woman’s life, it’s very likely they also prevented other serious injuries or worse, as this all occurred on the busiest highway in the region, during rush hour,” said Cpl. Linteau.

When asked how it feels to be a hero, the modest says he has children and he could not imagine what it would be like for his family if his wife had a heart attack and died under similar circumstances.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I win bc I didn't even click on his link!

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I win bc I didn't even click on his link!
    No. You were the coooooooommmmmbooooo breaker.
    I thought we would each repost with a different greeting.

wow...thats a fuckin crazy story! what a good ending!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by schocker
    I thought we would each repost with a different greeting.
    how about different greeting AND language

やあみんな、

コー​​トニースミスは過去の生活の中でハリウッドのスタントドライバーをされている可能性があります。コキットラム、BCの近くに国道1号線を走行しながら、彼女は心臓発作を起こした後に木曜日の朝、彼は、3の44歳のラングレーの母親のフォルクスワーゲンのゴルフを停止する彼の車を使用

農地委員会と執行役員、ロンマクラウドは、アクティブに彼の非常灯、彼のトラックを停止し、スミスは、タイヤの鉄と女性のフォルクスワーゲンゴルフのドライバーの窓を破る助けた。二つの運転者の援助で、彼らは車から彼女をドラッグ。その時点で彼女は警察によれば、パルスがなかった。

警官が数分後に到着するまで、マクラウドは彼女にCPRを行う。

"氏マクラウドは、彼自身の安全のために少し関連して、HOVレーンを右そこにCPRを行う始めた、"CPLは言った。アニーLinteau、BCのRCMPのスポークスパーソン。 "RCMP交通警察は、2分後に到着し、女性に圧迫を与えることで氏がマクラウドを支援し、緊急医療サービスを呼びかけた。"

彼女はブルネットアベニューの近くに国道1号線を西運転していた間に事件はちょうど午前9時前に発生した。新ウェストミンスターの北であるランプ、オフ。女性は意識を失い、彼女のフォルクスワーゲンのゴルフは高速道路のバリアを連絡。

"勇敢、熟練したドライビングと迅速な思考の素晴らしいディスプレイでは、氏コートニースミスは彼の車を引っ張った - 起亜セドナ - 女性の車の前に。彼の車を使用して、彼が安全に停止できる女性の車を持って管理し、"CPLは述べています。 Linteau。

スミス、サリーのレーザーバレー技術のセールスマネージャーは、彼が道に多くの時間を費やして述べています。彼がフェラーリを切断彼の前に黒いフォルクスワーゲンを気づいたときに、この特定の日に彼はポートマン橋を渡って運転していた。

"これはかなり悪いカットオフになっていました。代わりにスピードアップし、周囲に行くのフェラーリは、、車の後ろにとどまった。とジープも、車の横に滞在していた。彼らは車のボクシング​​だったので、それが奇妙なの一種だった"と彼は言った。

スミスは、ゴルフの横まで運転し、ホイールの後ろに女性が意識不明と助手席に急落に気づいた。そして車は、定期的にガードレールにスラミングされた。すぐに、スミスは彼がしなければならなかったものを知っていた。

彼は、加速ゴルフの前で彼の起亜セドナを操縦し、他の車が彼に追いつくことができました。それから彼は、優しくブレーキを適用する。 2台の車がその時点で約40または50℃KMHを旅行した、と彼は言った。 200または300メートルほど進むと、ゴルフは再びガードレールに衝突し、ゆっくり停止に来た。

良きサマリア人は、最初はレンチとドライバーのウィンドウを分割しようとしましたが、それは小さすぎることが判明したときスミスは彼のトランクにスクランブルとタイヤの鉄で浮上した。ウィンドウが壊れていた後、彼らはドアを開け、道路上の女性を置いた。

彼は彼が(彼は子供としていくつかのCPRの訓練を持っていたが、基本的な部分しか覚えて、彼は言う)ではないと答えたCPRとスミスの資格がされた場合、マクラウドはスミスに尋ねた。修飾されているマクラウドは、CPRを投与開始し、すぐに再び女性の呼吸を持っていた。マクラウドは、口対口を投与しながらRCMPオフィサーは、スミスによれば、非常に迅速に現れた、そして救命の圧縮を引き継いだ。

"それは速い彼女を車から抜け出すためにすべての部品を考えていたが、それは本当に彼女の背中を持って誰がロンだった"とスミス氏は言う。

RCMPは、幸福な女性の金曜日の朝、彼女は依然として危篤状態に記載されていることをレポートをチェック。

"我々はミスタースミス氏とマクラウドのアクションだけでなく、助けるために停止して他の二つの運転のために非常に感謝です。これはすべての地域で最も賑わう高速道路上で発生したとして、彼らが唯一のこの女性の命を救う助けではない、それは可能性が非常に高いです、彼らはまた、ラッシュ時、、他の重大な傷害または悪化を防止、"CPLは言った。 Linteau。

それがヒーローだと感じているのか、と聞かれたとき、ささやかな彼が子供を持っていると言えば、彼は彼の妻が心臓発作を起こしたと同じような状況下で死亡した場合、それは彼の家族のためにどのようなものになるか想像できませんでした。
    awesome story though, risk your life and potentially hundreds of $s in body damage to save one woman.

Ferrari owner would've been ultimate hero if he used his car.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by n1zm0

Ferrari owner would've been ultimate hero if he used his car.
    A Ferrari owner damage his car to save someone?

Almost as ludicrous as a BMW owner doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Yeah, I'm sure buddy in the ferrari fucked off pretty quick after everybody was bouncing off the guardrails and running into eachother haha.

Great work though, they should be awarded with some kind of citizens medal.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I hope the insurance companies involved will cover it? What do you think they'll get in terms of compensation?
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Bicycle

So, how does insurance works in this case?

Especially I assume they are all/mostly covered by ICBC.

EDIT: too late.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

My Ride
    E46

Props to them!

TL

My Ride
    TL

leave it to beyond to gravel over the trivial stuff

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by dandia89
    leave it to beyond to gravel over the trivial stuff
    Well show us how to pave the way to better discussions.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They won't get squat, unless the news story gets enough public pressure to force ICBC into helping them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Fuck man, that's rough if he doesn't get his car damages covered, I mean, he saved her life for Christ's sake

My Ride

Funny they do not mentioned the names of the guys in the jeep, the ones that started the rescue, and it saids the ferrari driver stayed behind the VW, helping the jeep driver just amazing.
    Last edited by SCHIDER23; 07-22-2011 at 04:33 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They won't get squat, unless the news story gets enough public pressure to force ICBC into helping them out.

Almost nearly identical situation happend 15 years ago on the island.

The good samaritan didnt get his vehicle repaired by ICBC until a public outcry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast