Quantcast
Looking to "rent" out my spare car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to "rent" out my spare car

My Ride
    Ford Compact

Default Looking to "rent" out my spare car

So long story short, I am looking to rent out my spare car to a co-worker who is in dire need. It's a beater so I'm not worried about him damaging it anymore than it already is.

With that said, he has agreed to pay $0.18/km and he will put his insurance on it. I want to protect myself and keep the registration under my name, if possible. Otherwise I would resort to a document disclosing all information and some witness signatures and stuff.

Am I on the right track here? Or does anyone have any experience with this type of thing. Who should I be talking to?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    What comes after a trillion?
    Originally posted by kvg
    a trillion and one

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

why not just sell it to him for $1, keep track of the mileage and when he is done he sells it back to you for $1 and then pays you the mileage?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by FraserB
    why not just sell it to him for $1, keep track of the mileage and when he is done he sells it back to you for $1 and then pays you the mileage?
    Thats exactly what he wants to avoid.

Said co-worker gets car for $1, and never sells it back to him. lol

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Saw this on Judge Mathis too many times. You're going to have 15 parking / speeding tickets within 6 months.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by adidas

Write up a contract then. Have it required to be sold back at the end of x months or you get x dollars.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Its called a lease agreement. Get one.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

For all intents & purposes you can't insure something you don't own which means if buddy is going to insure it then buddy has to register it as well.

Why not write up two bills of sale at the start, one from you to buddy and then anothter from buddy to you. The second bill of sale has no date on it and remains in your possession. Make sure buddy pays you once a week or once a month to ensure they don't rack up too much of a debt and then if things go sideways at any point you simply insert the date on the second bill of sale and repo the car.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Sounds like a very bad idea

Originally posted by adidas

Originally posted by FraserB

Write up a contract then. Have it required to be sold back at the end of x months or you get x dollars.

Doesn't even need to be that complicated. I mean, sure for the mileage a contract could/would be a good idea, as far as the car goes just draw up a bill of sale, sign it and all, just leave the date blank.

But all in all it's a bad idea.

Bad idea in so many ways, I cannot think of one upside to the huge risk. Just tell him the deal is not going to happen, the transmission needs an overhaul and you do not want the risk of damaging it further until it is repaired. Or simply just give him the car for free and be done with it, sounds like you do not need it.

You are doing this for the money, nice-guy complex, job prospects... which of these?
    Last edited by kamakurakid; 07-23-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    For all intents & purposes you can't insure something you don't own which means if buddy is going to insure it then buddy has to register it as well.

Why not write up two bills of sale at the start, one from you to buddy and then anothter from buddy to you. The second bill of sale has no date on it and remains in your possession. Make sure buddy pays you once a week or once a month to ensure they don't rack up too much of a debt and then if things go sideways at any point you simply insert the date on the second bill of sale and repo the car.

+1 but the ownership and insurance concern. any chances you can sell the vehicle to him with agreed deposit(to cover your back not returning and damage while usage) and return the deposit once the car sold it back to you minus the rental?
    For Rent: 1000 sq apartment located in Downtown. available immediately. Pls PM me for further detail

Pm for detail

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Never ever. Big fucking mistake.

You're better off giving them the car and saving yourself the headache.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

well, all that above posted being said, and since i read your first post, here is what I say.

Do as masked bandit says. Draw up the 2 different bill of sales, one to your co-worker, the other back to you.

As you said, the vehicle is a beater, so you don't care much about the damage side of things. And since we don't know the situation of the co-worker, and it is beyond, they like to assume this person is a dead beat low life bum, and they might be, but we don't know. The fact you are considering doing this says to me that you believe they are a good person, and are in fact in need of it. The only thing that says to me you are trying to make a buck off it is $0.18/km. I would have had it a lot lower if I was trying to do something nice for someone in dire need.

but as said, the person you are lending it to, can not insure it under their name if the registration remains under your name, you can not insure property that you do not own.

having said all that, Kudos to you for trying and offering to help. people like us are few and far between. We know we may get burned occasionally, but more often than not, we can make other's lives that much easier by doing very little.

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Ford Compact

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and concerns.

I am going ahead with the lending of the vehicle despite much of the negative commentary, but I will be using the attached document to help protect myself. I understand I am not a lawyer and a better document could be drafted, but it is only a beater and if he messes up/with anyone using the vehicle then it will be registered and insured under his name.

Thanks guys

Car Lease Contract

This Agreement is made and entered in this ____ day of _________________, 20___, between ______________________, of __________________________________, hereinafter called "Owner", and _____________________, of _____________________hereinafter called "Client".

Vehicle
    The vehicle which the Owner hereby agrees to lease is:
    _____________ __________________ ______________
    _____________ ___________________ _____________ hereinafter called “the vehicle” and/or “vehicle”
    Mileage at beginning of lease period: _______________

The Owner represents that to the best of his knowledge and belief that said vehicle is in sound and safe condition and free of any known faults or defects which would affect its safe operation under normal use.

Lease Period
    The Owner agrees to lease the above-described vehicle to the Client for a period of______________ beginning at _______ on ________________ and ending at _______ on _____________________.

The Client agrees (a) that the leased vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers or property for hire; (b) that the leased vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers other than in the interior or cab of the vehicle; (c) that the leased vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers in excess of the capacity thereof; (d) not to use the vehicle to push, propel or tow another vehicle, trailer or any other thing without the written permission of the owner; (e) not to use the vehicle for any race or competition; (f) not to use the vehicle for ANY illegal purpose; (g) not to operate the vehicle in an illegal and/or negligent manner; (h) not to permit the vehicle to be operated by any other person without the written permission of the owner; and (i) not to carry passengers, property or materials in excess of the rated weight carrying capacity of the vehicle.

Insurance
    The Client hereby agrees that he/she shall personally take responsibility for fully insuring the vehicle
    with the minimum roadworthy legal coverage of $1,000,000 Liability; any insurance beyond the minimum roadworthy legal coverage is at the sole discretion of the Client. The Client assumes full responsibility and accountability of any and all damages caused to/and by the vehicle in the event of any third party legal suit and/or other form of pursuant seeking compensation and the Owner shall be financially compensated for losses and/or damages related to the vehicle accordingly.

Lease Rate
    The Client hereby agrees to pay the Owner at the rate of _______ per ________ every 30 days (early payment will be accepted) via E-mail transfer, cash, cheque or money order for the use of said vehicle. All fuel used shall be paid for by the Client. The Owner will check the mileage on the vehicle to ensure correct mileage and compensation paid. Late payment beyond 30 day period will be charged at $5 per day.

Temporary Transfer of Ownership/Registration
    For ease of Insurance purposes: The Owner agrees to transfer ownership and registration of the vehicle temporarily to the Client via Bill of Sale with the intention of easing issues that may arise during the insuring of the vehicle. The temporary transfer of ownership via Bill of Sale will commence on the same date as the above Lease Period. At the end of the Lease period described above, this process shall be reversed and the Client will transfer ownership and registration of the vehicle to the Owner via Bill of Sale. The Client may NOT at any time transfer ownership and registration of the vehicle to any third party. This lease agreement will overrule any special conditions and/or terms stated on both Bill of Sales.

The Client hereby agrees to return said vehicle to the Owner at
    ______________________ no later than _________ on __________________ (24 hours after lease period has ended).

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto hereby execute this
    Agreement on the date first above written.

______________________________ ____________
    Witness Date

Owner Date

Client
    Date
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    What comes after a trillion?
    Originally posted by kvg
    a trillion and one

My Ride
    Honda

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Never ever. Big fucking mistake.
    Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
    I am going ahead with the lending of the vehicle despite much of the negative commentary ...

Can you please post up the outcome of your situation?

Originally posted by Mar
    Saw this on Judge Mathis too many times. You're going to have 15 parking / speeding tickets within 6 months.

My Ride
    bus pass... again

i was thinking.. if hes not good enuff of a buddy for you to trust for few hundred bucks a month, then u shouldnt do any deals with, if hes a good enuff of a buddy, why bother with 18cent/km just lend him ur car till he can buy it off at a buddy price or till he can afford a $500 beater somewhere.... if he cant make $500 to buy a beater in a few months, then he prolly shouldn't be driving..... even if this buddy has special reasons that he cant spare the $500 in a few months and he really do needed the car... as a good buddy, I'd lend him the car for as long as he needs it or till i need the beater back.

on the other hand If i was the one who needed to borrow/lease a car from buddy, n he asks me to sign a contract of any sort... I'd prolly feel insulted.
    我係阿仔

My Ride
    M3

As Mar stated above, perhaps insert a clause into the contract whereby the lease(ee) takes care of all parking/speeding tickets and related matter.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

no added clause needed, as the co-worker will insure it and register it in their own name. any photo tickets or parking tickets will be his. they don't follow the car's VIN, and will not be the responsibility of the OPs
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    GSR

$0.18/km seems pretty greedy to me if you're lending it out to a friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast