Quantcast
Castrol Raceway Announces Construction Of 2.7 Kilometer Road Course - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Castrol Raceway Announces Construction Of 2.7 Kilometer Road Course

My Ride
    02 RSX

Default Castrol Raceway Announces Construction Of 2.7 Kilometer Road Course

http://www.castrolraceway.com/index.php?mo=comment&blog_id=39
    ASTROL RACEWAY ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION OF 2.7 KILOMETER ROAD COURSE

June 21, 2011

CASTROL RACEWAY ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION OF 2.7 KILOMETER ROAD COURSE

At a press conference held earlier today, Castrol Raceway owners Rob Reeves and Ron Hodgson, along with Dave Fifield C.O.O. of Wakefield Canada Inc., announced the construction of a 2.7 Kilometer Road Course at the raceway. The Road Course will be the newest addition to Castrol Raceway, which also boasts a ¼ Mile IHRA sanctioned Drag Strip, 3/8 Mile clay Oval and a 10 Acre Pro Motocross Track.

A Road Course has been in the works on the Castrol Raceway property since it was first built 20 years ago. “With the commitment of Wakefield Canada (Castrol’s Canadian parent company) to remain the Title Sponsor and partner of the race track, it seemed like the ideal time to build,” said Rob Reeves.

If all goes according to plan, the Road Course will be fully completed within three years. Phase one is currently underway and will consist of completing the first 1.4 km loop of track with the hope of being operational by the end of this summer. Phase two will see the completion of the second 1.3 loop, and phase three will bring it all together.

The Road Course will bring a whole new dimension of racing to Castrol Raceway - open and closed wheel racing, Formula Atlantic/Indy Lights and Grand Am racing along with road cars special track days.

With the rumored closure of Calgary’s Race City Motorsport Park, Castrol Raceway’s new Road Course will be the only track in the vicinity with the next closest one located in Mission, B.C.

According to Reeves, “Castrol Raceway will rival the best motorsports facilities in North America, bringing back the same excitement that was felt with the Edmonton International Speedway.”

It’s an exciting time for Castrol Raceway, Canada’s Premier Motorsports Complex. This weekend will see the top drag racers from across North America come to Edmonton for Canada’s biggest drag racing event: the 9th annual Mopar Rocky Mountain Nitro Jam Nationals (June 24-26). Over 40,000 spectators will experience the ground-pounding excitement of Top Fuel Dragsters and the nitro-powered mayhem that makes up the IHRA Nitro Jam Drag Racing series. From 8,000 horsepower, 300 mph Top Fuel Dragsters to 20,000 horsepower, flame-throwing jet semis, and the one and only Grave Digger, race fans will witness the fury, mayhem and adrenaline-soaked thrill of drag racing entertainment.

Later on this summer (August 6 & 7) Castrol Raceway will play host to the one and only Monster Jam monster truck show! There’s nothing like the original and this year’s line-up includes the superstars of Monster Jam: Grave Digger, Superman, Monster Mutt and Captain’s Curse. The trucks will have all the space they need in Castrol Raceway’s outdoor arena to thrill monster truck fans.

The World of Outlaws return to Castrol Raceway for the Oil City Cup (August 26 & 27). For two days Castrol Raceway will again be the center of the Sprint Car Universe, as the best drivers in the world, return for the 5th Annual World of Outlaws: Oil City Cup. The winged warriors will do battle with their fire-breathing 850-plus horsepower machines each night for the $10,000 top prize. The Oil City Cup is the only chance in 2011 that Sprint Car fans in Western Canada have to see the World of Outlaws in action, with their thrilling wheel-to-wheel brand of racing, just centimeters apart at breathtaking speeds.
    And for the first time in Canada, Castrol Raceway hosts the Super Chevy Show this September long weekend (September 2-4). Making its Canadian debut in 2011, the Super Chevy Show tour brings high-powered Chevy racing excitement and beautiful classic Chevy Show Cars to Castrol Raceway. Incredible show cars take center stage in the Car Show Series – the nation’s largest single-make car show series. Chevy fans will be treated to two separate shows Saturday and Sunday! Don’t want your car to be judged? Then join your friends in the non-judged Show ‘n Shine Class. Don’t miss the Super Chevy Show!
    Last edited by Russo; 06-21-2011 at 11:12 PM.

My Ride
    02 RSX

Track layout

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

not a track buff, but that layout looks kind ho-hum... also whats with the short straight?

maybe I'm just asking too much

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    not a track buff, but that layout looks kind ho-hum... also whats with the short straight?

maybe I'm just asking too much
    Straights are lame anyways. I can't wait for this to be done, the track looks more exciting than Race City! Credit where credit is due and all that other stuff, the simple fact that they are paving something that does not only consist of left hand turns is amazing!

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

the track looks more exciting than Race City!

ehhhh I'd disagree. Race city has the same front and back straights, and the technical section is just way more technical. Looks boring IMO but your right better then a straight up oval.

Hmm looks kinda boring, but at least its a track. You can see it on Google Maps already too.
    ---

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by kenny
    Hmm looks kinda boring, but at least its a track.

More than we'll have next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Good stuff! A track is a track and we don't have many round these parts.

2.7 km is pretty short. That's only about 1.5 miles. to bad it's not going to be longer.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

lol wow, cant believe how many complainers are out there. Glad to see you all have enough money to think the 2.7km track is lacking as well as too short for your liking.

I am just as excited as the rest of you to watch large yellow machinery push the Calgary track away as Castrol receives brand new infrastructure, paving, and services...
    /end sarcasm.

Id love to have that track here in Calgary! and last i checked, i had plenty of fun tearing through the haggard pot hole infested short track Calgary even has to offer.
    Last edited by 94_S14; 06-22-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    1994 EG6 -1998 DC2 - 1993 S13 - 1993 S13 -1994 S14 - 2001 BMW E46 - 2006 BMW E90

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Turns 3/4 and 8/9/10 looks fun.

Straights are boring. Race city is such a power track, can't set competitive times unless u have stupid hp.

I like this course.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Awesome! Good job Castrol, close enough I will drive out to it all the time.

My Ride
    2003 spec r1 wrx

where is it?
    GO Hard Or Go Home

ed.
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    your mom

“Castrol Raceway will rival the best motorsports facilities in North America”

we are that dumb? but take what we can get!

Who the hell planned turned 12?

I like the track layout. The track is maybe a little on the short side. It's about ~400 m shorter than Race City but I think people will run similar lap times with the lack of a stupidly long straight like Race City.

It is never boring when you are racing wheel to wheel against other cars... unless you are running by yourself in the middle of an Enduro race.

My Ride
    Hondas

Great news.

Hopefully its a huge success and wakes this city the F up.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

some of you guys are complaining because they are building a track you find boring?

LOL guys it's an effing track, like a real one... getting built.

You won't have any soon so stop complaining and start sending in thank you notes

Yay.

Real close to where I live too.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE

ehhhh I'd disagree. Race city has the same front and back straights, and the technical section is just way more technical. Looks boring IMO but your right better then a straight up oval.

Sorry, but I'm inclined to think you guys don't know what you are talking about. I mean, I guess the carousel is "technical" I'm not saying this will be the next Laguna Seca or something, but it'll be better than Race City

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast