Quantcast
Apple cash on hand: $76 billion. US Treasury: $74 billion. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Apple cash on hand: $76 billion. US Treasury: $74 billion.

Default Apple cash on hand: $76 billion. US Treasury: $74 billion.

Thoughts?

Apple cash now exceeds what the US government has left before it hits the debt limit. Apple cash level is higher even though government spends 10 times more than Apple is worth.

LOS ANGELES – Apple Inc. may not have more money than God. But it's got more cash than Uncle Sam.

As the government struggled to reach an agreement on raising the debt ceiling, the U.S. Treasury's cashbalance fell to $74 billion this week. That's less than the $76 billion that Apple now has in cash.

It's not terribly likely that the government will ask Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs for help. But it wouldn't be the first time the government has asked for a bailout from an industry mogul.

In the mid-1890s, with the U.S. economy still recovering from the financial panic of 1893, the U.S. Treasury was in danger of going bankrupt as worried investors clamored to collect what they were owed from U.S. gold reserves. With few options left, President Grover Cleveland met with New York financier J.P. Morgan, who pledged a whopping $60 million in gold. Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $1.5 billion today.

RELATED: Five ways US default would hit your pocketbook

"The fact that Morgan had become a cosigner on the federal debt was what impressed the markets," historian H.W. Brands wrote in his account "The Upside-Down Bailout." ''Within days the Treasury's condition stabilized; within weeks the dollar's danger had passed."

To be fair, comparing Apple's cash reserves with the Treasury's is not exactly apples to apples.

Apple's billions are essentially the funds in its bank accounts, while the federal number represents the amount of money the government has left before it hits the legal debt limit — a figure that can be changed by Congress.

At about $362 billion, Apple is the second-largest company in the world by market value (behind Exxon Mobil Corp. at $395 billion) — big by any standard, but still far smaller than the U.S. government, which will spend close to $3.8 trillion this year, 10 times what Apple is worth.

Still, Apple's reasons for keeping such a giant cash stockpile may well be related to worries about the stability of the U.S. government's finances.

"One of the reasons U.S. companies have amassed so much cash is that it provides them financial flexibility in times of heightened uncertainty," said Laurie Simon Hodrick, a professor of business economics at Columbia University's business school. "It might seem ironic, but as the risk of a government default grows, bringing with it the specter of higher interest rates, the incentives for firms to finance with internally generated cashgrows as well."
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/La...ury-74-billion

read this earlier, my impression is that someone is trying to make news out of nothing. must be a slow day LOL.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Wow, JP Morgan doing something helpful. Never thought I'd see that.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Question, so they have this money in the bank account(s) ect, if this is really cash, and a large portion of it in USD, wouldn't they lose alot of money should the dollar tank? Reason I ask is because in Zimbabwe they experienced 5 billion % inflation. Anyone who was wealthy in Zimbabwe and had the money in a local bank under local currency surely became broke no?

Originally posted by eblend
    Question, so they have this money in the bank account(s) ect, if this is really cash, and a large portion of it in USD, wouldn't they lose alot of money should the dollar tank? Reason I ask is because in Zimbabwe they experienced 5 billion % inflation. Anyone who was wealthy in Zimbabwe and had the money in a local bank under local currency surely became broke no?
    I don't follow Apple closely but I would be shocked if they didn't have some major major foreign exchange hedges for just that reason.

Originally posted by eblend
    Anyone in Zimbabwe that was wealthy pre inflation would have most certainly have had investments in other countries and currencies. The crooks (cough) government connected people always get away with the goods.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Guillermo
    read this earlier, my impression is that someone is trying to make news out of nothing. must be a slow day LOL.
    it's because the word Apple attracts readers eyes.
    Not as many would have cared if it was Microsoft.

Shouldn't they be creating jobs or something with that 76 billion?

Looks like the US has another excuse to attack another country now.. Isnt that what countries do when they need more resources / Money?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Originally posted by sabad66
    Shouldn't they be creating jobs or something with that 76 billion?
    Apple is a public company accountable only to the shareholders, these shareholders are thrilled with the performance over any timeframe. Cash is king and Apple is the king of cash as it stands today. Apple could pay cash for every phone vender other than Samsung or they could buy just about any company outright.

Apple employs 50,000 people, decent really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    Bicycle

Steve Jobs for Prez?

Would be funny if Apple bought Microsoft.
    Does everything matter or does nothing matter?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Merritt
    Would be funny if Apple bought Microsoft.
    Apple's market cap is 1.5x of MS. They can do it without cash.

They've come a long way in the last 10-15yrs.. I remember even up until the mid 90s you only really saw them in classrooms and perhaps the odd library. We always had them in our house since the mid 80s, as my aunt had a connection with apple back then. I actually havent used an apple product much since about 94 or so.

Iraqi disinformation minister:

No need to worry, we have raised the debt ceiling by $2T+ so we can let the good times roll until about early 2013.

At which time we can raise the debt ceiling 3T+ and be good for another year.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.