Quantcast
Employers responsibility. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Employers responsibility.

My Ride
    05 Honda 954RR, 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Default Employers responsibility.

Hello all, I have a situation for which I would love some advice on. The situation is my girlfriend who is quite a bit younger then myself (21), got a job prior to stampede at a local rooftop patio restaurant. After stampede some girls and herself all hired prior to stampede were let go. This is something we can live with since she found another job right away, however when she went in to pick up her paycheck for the time she did work there, they said there was some "paper work" problems, and that she should come back tomorrow (Wednesday) to talk to the service manager. The reason I mentioned her age is because I have a feeling they are trying to pull one on her because she is a very playful type of person and of a young age. I will be going in with her tomorrow since I work near the location downtown anyway. However if they do try something I would love to know if anyone here can think of any legal requirements they have to pay her for her time spent there, which is roughly two weeks.

As always thank you all for your input.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I don't have much advice, but I hope you get this resolved. It either will be really easy and thing will be fine tomorrow, or shit is going to hit the fan.

I hope you post the establishment on here if the latter happens though.

Default Re: Employers responsibility.

Originally posted by reborn_euro
    After stampede some girls and herself all hired prior to stampede were let go. This is something we can live with since she found another job right away, however when she went in to pick up her paycheck for the time she did work there, they said there was some "paper work" problems, and that she should come back tomorrow (Wednesday) to talk to the service manager.
    http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...f-Earnings.pdf

Basically: An employee must be paid all wages, overtime, and general holiday pay earned in a pay period within 10 consecutive days after the end of the pay period.

There are different time frames when earnings must be paid to employees depending on the circumstances that result in termination of employment... and then it lists some situations were it's only 3 days but I don't believe it applies where your girlfriend is concerned.

I hope your girlfriend has record of how many hours she's worked because I wouldn't put it past this business to try and screw her around even more based on what they're doing now.

If your girlfriend has more questions, 1-877-427-3731.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I wouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet - perhaps there really is a paperwork issue?

Also post the name of the employer IF they do not resolve this on the second visit. It will save other employees in the future having to deal with this company.

Amysicle has said all I know of the subject.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

Kloubek is right. It's only been about 2 weeks since Stampede has ended which isn't much longer than the 10 day period, especially with a long weekend thrown in. But on the other hand, how hard is it for a business that is constantly hiring and firing to get their shit together and do a basic ROE and manage their payroll?

I'm just a bit jaded and bitter. If they give your girlfriend the run around, it's time for some ball busting!

roof top patio...downtown...

2+2 = 7?

....West patio?

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

You guys are all giving crap advice. The obvious answer is to post pics of said girlfriend.

My Ride

Thanks all, and lets not put the pieces of the puzzle together just yet..... and no I am not jumping to conclusions but I'd like to go in with some true facts if it does require my intervention. I'm going in originally for support, since id like her to learn to deal with some of these things alone. However if I need to step in, this information will be very useful. Thank you for the quick replies, and a big hell no to the pics.

Cheers and thank you again for the help.
    Last edited by reborn_euro; 08-16-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

Default Re: Employers responsibility.

Originally posted by reborn_euro
    The situation is my girlfriend who is quite a bit younger then myself (21),
    Niceeeeeeee
    BOOOOOya!!!

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Call labour board... they can tell her exactly what her rights are.

let us know how it goes...hope it gets resolved today.

My Ride
    95 GSR

Originally posted by BananaFob
    You guys are all giving crap advice. The obvious answer is to post pics of said girlfriend.
    Wow 6 posts before a picture request, common now beyond I thought this would be the first thing beyonders would ask for

Wonder how it went for OP's girlfriend.

It appears there is an online system available to employees to report on their employers for things like unpaid earnings...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Provinc...059/story.html

My Ride

Well unfortunately this matter has yet to be resolved, she was promised payment to arrive yesterday, I went in with her only to find that the cheque wasnt there and the manager in charge was gone for the day. So now I will be involving myself and their GM since the assistant gm my girlfriend was dealing with is incapable or just doesnt care for this matter....... Anyone else feel like the customer service/ respect people used to have for their work is quickly and aggresively going down the tube the last four or so years....

Again thank you for the links provided, will let interested parties know about the end result when their is one.

Cheers.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

My Ride

Too close this matter for interested parties, Yes i got them to pay my GF what was owed, however the participation and performance of their services was horrid and increadibly unorganized.
    I would caution anyone looking at getting a bartending,hosting or serving job in the future to keep track of your own hours seperately of the facilities computer systems, as it is always in their favor.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

So what was the problem? As far as I read the manager wasnt there and there was a paperwork problem. Once they had her paperwork (like the time keeping system crashed?) she was paid.

Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Cos, she was actually paid weeks after she was informed that the "paperwork" was resolved. It wasn't even a case of taking too long, its the fact that she was told it will be here monday, then monday it will be here friday, then come on the weekend.
    After this point I went down to get the proper date at which time I was told by 3 managers that they had no idea, and I should come back the next week to speak which the appropriate manager ( assistant gm ) which I did and then her given date was also wrong.
    It took a email directly to her ( assistant gm) and her supervisor the GM to finaly get the cheque to come in. Without any response from the assistant gm I might add.
    I can also add the fact that eventhough it took a month to settle something that should take my stantards less then a week (via advice given by phose my imployment canada). She was also not paid any of her tips which they as a company divide and give on her cheque, she was only paid her hours.
    We decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to try to settle the tips aswell. This was clearly a situation of ignorant, untrained management/ a dont care attitude which I find is increadibly popular with the young managers of most (hype) buisnesses. As I stated in my last post, this is more of a life lesson with a "beware" and keep track of your own information message to it.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)