Quantcast
So has anyone driven the Fiat 500 yet? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: So has anyone driven the Fiat 500 yet?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Default So has anyone driven the Fiat 500 yet?

I've seen quite a few out on the roads but they all seem to have rental car plates on them. I sat in one at the auto show and thought they were nice. It would be an interesting little city car. I wonder if you can actually get four adults into the 500 comfortably? Have any beyonders got behind the wheel of one yet?
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know Avis rents them in Calgary. I haven't driven one yet.

To me, if I want a small and fuel efficient car, I'm not looking at the 500 or Mini, I'm going Hyundai. Accent and Elantra get better fuel economy, use regular gas, cost less, have more power and hold more cargo.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: So has anyone driven the Fiat 500 yet?

Originally posted by dino_martini
    I wonder if you can actually get four adults into the 500 comfortably?
    No.

I have seen Motoring TV showing 2 6-footers trying to fit front and back and it wasn't pretty.

Just like the Mini, it's more of a fashion statement than a fuel efficient transport.

I tried to get in the back seat, the head rest was digging into the bottom of my shoulder blades. And my head was perma-tilted because the ceiling was too low. I'm 6'5"

My Ride
    Z12

I have driven one from Eastside, and having owned 2 smart cars, I was very curious how the Fiat would be.

It drives like a cross between the GE8 Fit and the 08+ smart. I felt like I was sitting quite high up even with the seat in it's lowest position. The inside was nicer than most of it's competitors, I'd put it on par with the Fit. It has options that I really like seeing in this market, like auto climate control.

The only interesting thing I found was the Sport button on the dash that changed the throttle mapping to increase response. The car felt very sluggish and slow (almost laboured) without the Sport mode on, so I would never turn it off.

All in all, I'd hold out for an Abarth. The engine and chassis are excellent and every time I turned the wheel I had a huge smile on my face. I just felt that it just needs more torque to be able to pull itself out of corners in slow city driving so it doesn't feel like an old EG hatch with a dragging e-brake.

After driving it, I annouced back at the dealership that I will be holding my breath until the Abarth SS makes it's way over here. If it does, I'll be first in line to order one.

BTW, the back seat had the same amount of head and leg room as my brother's old Fairlady Z 2+2. Good for small children and stuff. Anyone taller than 5' will be challenged getting in and out of the back of the Fiat 500.
    Takumi

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by whiskas
    I tried to get in the back seat, the head rest was digging into the bottom of my shoulder blades. And my head was perma-tilted because the ceiling was too low. I'm 6'5"
    how tha hell do u drive a s2000?

Originally posted by adidas

how tha hell do u drive a s2000?
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. Head room isn't an issue, but I am at the limit as far as leg room goes.

I'm 6'1" and can't fit comfortably in the driver seat. My head is nearly to the roof. Unless you like driving with a mad lean, it is cramped for head room.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

I've pretty much only seen them through rental companies, they must have gave them a sick deal to rep their vehicles.

I drove one, sport model. Honestly didn't feel much more spirited than my 05 Echo RS DD. I'd wait for the Abarth. Even then the models we get here are mexican assembled.
    "I think 90% of motorcycle racing is between the ears." -Kevin Schwantz

My Ride
    VW Golf R 18/Benz S 350 07/14 Nissan Rogue

Drove one last summer in Beirut. Beautiful interior but the car is so weak. Brakes are ok and handling is fine. Nice car to take to the beach and its easy to park in a busy city like Beirut.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I know Avis rents them in Calgary. I haven't driven one yet.

To me, if I want a small and fuel efficient car, I'm not looking at the 500 or Mini, I'm going Hyundai. Accent and Elantra get better fuel economy, use regular gas, cost less, have more power and hold more cargo.
    I'd take a Mini over a Hyundai any day. Putting aside the differences in build quality, driving pleasure and resale value, the Mini is still a more comfortable chassis for me (and I'm 6'7).

I would recommend the Hyundai to anyone looking for an inexpensive A->B car with no concern for resale value. Hyundai does cheap really well, but they certainly don't make an exciting vehicle.

/fanboy
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving