Quantcast
Ordering from Monoprice.com - Extra Fees? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ordering from Monoprice.com - Extra Fees?

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

Default Ordering from Monoprice.com - Extra Fees?

Hey Folks,

I posted this in another thread because I didn't want to start another. I figure that this topic deserves its own thread for a number of reasons and I can get more feedback this way.

Monoprice.com offers HDMI cables, TV mounts, speakers and all other home theatre equipment at a fraction of the cost that we pay through local retailers.

I have never ordered from them, but I am about to place an order, pending further research. My order is about $450 + $185 shipping via UPS Worldwide Expedited. I am totally cool paying this, but I want to make sure I know what other fees I will have to pay.

The weight is 145 lbs. as I have 3 wall mounts (70", 40". 32"), 8 in-ceiling speakers and some HDMI cables.

Anybody have any experience ordering from here and what sort of hidden costs are there on top of the price and shipping?

Thanks so much!

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

The only "hidden" costs are the duties you will get charged. As an example, I just placed an order for about $160 USD, with $45 shipping. I paid $36 dollars in duties when it arrived to UPS. Obviously this will changed based on the goods and such ordered, but expect to pay duties as with most US purchases.

The price with that still destroys ordering elsewhere for cables, speaker selectors, networking tools etc.

I have only ordered small items from them so I can't really comment on hidden fees and what not but a far as the product goes (mainly, banana jacks, cables and the like) I have no complaints.

My Ride
    SpecB

Originally posted by Clever
    I have only ordered small items from them so I can't really comment on hidden fees and what not but a far as the product goes (mainly, banana jacks, cables and the like) I have no complaints.
    Same for me, no complaints.
    I've ordered heavier items like TV mounts as well with no issues. I use monoprice ~2-3x a year.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Do you have to ship UPS? Cause I'd rather ship USPS
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Here are my options:

USPS Priority International = $389.13
    UPS Worldwide Expedited = $183.16
    USPS Express EMS = $666.50
    UPS Worldwide Express Saver = $226.32

When I was chatting online with Monoprice, they referred me to this site for an idea of other costs. Does this seem accurate?

http://www.thefinalcost.com

My Ride
    Axis powers

you don't pay duty if it was manufactured in the US
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by adam c
    you don't pay duty if it was manufactured in the US
    With that said, do not confuse duty with brokerage and GST.

Originally posted by Clever
    I've never had to pay duty (taxes) on small orders. I made a fairly large order last summer (bunch of cat6 cables, keystone jacks and some speaker wire) and I had to pay about $18 when it got to my door.

Seems to be the size of the order that matters... and smaller orders come quicker too!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

I deliver Monoprice stuff all the time. Usually smaller stuff. Only time I've had to charge any customs was for a wall mount. That's through USPS and Canada Post.

My Ride

I have 3 mall mounts coming, 70", 40". 32". That is why I am most concerned about extra charges. I am going to wait until others chime in. Surely some Beyonders have ordered wall mounts and speakers etc.

I tried this link too:

UPS International Tools

According to that, I won't be paying much. It was hard to find the right Tariff code though.

Thanks for all of the answers so far.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Well, when I had to collect for the wall mount, it was $8.50 for the brokerage and GST. There's no hidden or random charges with USPS and Canada Post.

My Ride

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you can have your stuff shipped to Roger in Montana and pick it up yourself. Not worth it if its just your monoprice order. If you pick up some auto parts from rockauto.com and maybe some wheels, its makes it worth it. I have had some customs officers that let me off the hook with any tax. I find that telling the truth and having all your totals/reciepts ready helps.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by ipeefreely
    I've never had to pay duty (taxes) on small orders.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    With that said, do not confuse duty with brokerage and GST.
    One more time. Duty <> GST. You almost never have to pay duty on anything crossing the border thanks to NAFTA. They'll only charge you duty if it's worth their while (i.e. cars made outside NA, TVs made outside NA, etc...).

To add, if you choose the cheapest UPS option, you'll be raped in brokerage charges, UNLESS you opt to fill out the paperwork yourself/pay the government directly, which would make it very much worthwhile. Search beyond for instructions on how to do it as it's been done.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Monoprice does not ship UPS ground because it knows canadians get raped, just order your order, I replied in the other thread, $900 dollar order was only something like $34 bucks in customs. If you ordered and shipped via UPS ground on the other hand, probably would have been like $180 bucks in customs since they rape you. the UPS option from Monoprice is good and I have used it a bunch of times, as it seems to be cheaper than USPS when you start talking big orders

My Ride

Thanks eblend. I appreciated your response in the other thread too. I thought this could be informative for anyone considering ordering there. They can search Monoprice on Beyond and find this thread. I will be ordering soon. Cheers!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just ordering some small stuff from monoprice as well, and they have a new option for shipping, called UPS Small Package delivered by Canada Post", here is the info on it:

"UPS Small Package delivered by Canada Post: It is equivalent to USPS Air Parcel for Canada. Packages under 4 lbs are picked up by UPS, expedited to your area, and delivered to your shipping address by Canada Post. "

For what I am ordering it seems to be like 10 dollars cheaper than USPS

Well I ordered from Monoprice directly (not through Amazon), and although it took a bit of time to receive my HDMI switch, there was NO OTHER CHARGES, so in the end I just paid the $43.64 U.S.) which ended up $60.24 CDN, no brokerage or duty fees. The ONLY complaint I have so far, is I don't know if it's just my setup OR the device, but the Optical audio seems to work ok when the DVD is playing through HDMI, but when I use the Karaoke machine, I get video but NO audio. I tried the 2.0 AND the 5.1 audio switch, and nothing. I haven't tested my PC's HDMI, to see if IT works, but I have a feeling it probably has something to do with the power OUTPUT of each device. I did get the Karaoke machine to work eventually, but I don't know why it's giving me grief. All in All a great purchase and useful device (if I can get it to work 100%). OH. and the LED's are VERY bright, some masking tape might be in order

Hope this helps you out.