Quantcast
Explain something to me.... whiting out license plate in photos - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Explain something to me.... whiting out license plate in photos

Default Explain something to me.... whiting out license plate in photos

I can understand if you are selling a vehicle or spot a really slick car why you may block it out online but really what is the big deal?

Drive around town for an hour and someone can see your plate more than a site like Beyond would attract. I dont hear of people driving around, writing down peoples plates, and then going to steal the car or to stalk them. When you go to the mall do you remove your license plate too?

I just dont get why it is such a big deal? (We sent some photos of our new work truck around work and we had someone complain I didnt block out their plate in the photo. )

I remember some people freaking out on here with the spotted threads as well. I just dont get it. Someone enlighten me?
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Nothing

In terms of online posting iit advertises you to criminals. I.e., they see your car online local car forum, they monitor your activities to see where you live and when you're going to be away.

They same thing can happen in person, but it's a lot easier online to do it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    335i

Just more evidence of the new coward generation at work. A drive down 17th ave SW will net more sightings than you could imagine and no one seems to be concerned in the least.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Grimace

Well with the average IQ on beyond, I can imagine some hijinks with people calling in plates for reckless driving etc. That is all I can think of.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by schocker
    Well with the average IQ on beyond, I can imagine some hijinks with people calling in plates for reckless driving etc. That is all I can think of.
    That's the only thing that concerns me.

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by M.alex
    In terms of online posting iit advertises you to criminals. I.e., they see your car online local car forum, they monitor your activities to see where you live and when you're going to be away.

Thats fine and dandy, what does that have to do with having your PLATE posted online?

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I too would appreciate a formal statement from the guys in charge. I think it only feeds peoples privacy paranoia. C'mon people its the 21st century there is no such thing as privacy beyond csi can attest to that.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-03-2019 at 11:32 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Personally, I rarely blank out my plate in my pics online. I too haven't really seen the harm...

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Because race car

My Ride
    2000 BMW 540i/6-spd & 2008 Triumph Street Triple

Seems a little paranoid to me also... I've never blocked out a plate on a car I'm selling.

My Ride
    Honda

Originally posted by M.alex

Exactly
    People online are incredibly invasive. More so than they would ever be in person. I've seen it a thousand times on beyond.ca. Look how many times people find real names & addresses instantly from just a blurry photo. People in today's world are capable of anything.
    We should be able to respect each-other ...

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Just more evidence of the new coward generation at work.
    Originally posted by nismodrifter
    Thats fine and dandy, what does that have to do with having your PLATE posted online?
    Why don't you two put your money where your mouth is? Post up pictures of your cars with the license plate clearly visible in this thread. I already know you won't. You're moderators. If you actually did post them, you'd have thousands of banned members on you for life!
    I'm sure you can understand the need for privacy.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
    Because race car

I was drinking a can of Coke as I scrolled down. I couldn't stop laughing, choking and then went into a fit of coughing from inhaling the Coke.

It's completely to do with ignorance. For anyone that doesn't know how the internet works and how the relationship with car registration is defined, they simply do it to deter any possibility of things they're unaware of. For us that know how it works and how much work it would be for such nonsense, we don't care.

It's like my dad, he still turns off his computer monitor every night even though it's in sleep mode. He doesn't understand how it works, no matter how often I've explained it to him. Better safe than sorry for him.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

I've read some horror stories of peoples lives being ruined via facebook, such as posting pictures that can be traced right back to your profile...scary stuff. just gotta be careful with what you post. too late for me though, good thing I dont care. come the f*** at me @world!

but srsly, people need to find more productive things to do with their life...especially the being "recognized and vandalized"? wtf??? what is wrong with people? vandalizing some peoples s*** over some f***ed up sense of animosity?

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

Why don't you two put your money where your mouth is? Post up pictures of your cars with the license plate clearly visible in this thread. I already know you won't. You're moderators. If you actually did post them, you'd have thousands of banned members on you for life!
    I'm sure you can understand the need for privacy.
    There are tons of pics of my car all over the internet and on these forums. Go wild.

When you show off your awesome car online with the spiffy Volks and your plate showing it goes to a friend working at Registries, who gives buddy your address and lifts your wheels at night. My best friend lost his wheels like that, and in the process uncovered quite the scam to CPS. I know people that have used that scam for other nefarious purposes. The minimim wage pimple monkey could care less about you or your shit. Easy cash and good laughs. If you dont think there's people out there cruising forums just to pinch shit, you are fucked.
    Last edited by Ven; 08-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.

i dunno, I do it because there are a lot of douchebags online that take forum chat too seriously and aren't afraid to take things to the next level and the same types usually have low friends in high(ish) places.

I think of it like marketing, a market company can't do anything with knowing someones age alone, they can't do anything with knowing a certain product has been purchased, but put those two pieces of info together and they can do a lot with that information.

its all about association and anonymity, I wouldn't mind if some random person put pictures of my car with plates visible without any connection to me. But I wouldn't go posting pics of my car with plate visible connected back to me. what happens if I argued online with an effed up individual that wanted to get revenge because they couldn't handle someone disagreeing with their point of view?

I remember back in the good old days when someone on here (won't mention their name) vandalized another members car because of a deal gone wrong. Beyond (and any other forum for that matter) isn't the tight, fun, innocent community some want to think it is.
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

if I'm posting a pic of someone else's car, I'll do it. Posting pics of my cars I never have.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

As far as I know there have been no late night visits to my house and no one has come to beat me up, but I have also somewhat toned down how I post. Anything still up I have no problem saying face to face or an employer seeing.

I was an idiot and chose a dumb username.
    Last edited by FraserB; 08-08-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast