Quantcast
Rogers release for Bold 9900 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rogers release for Bold 9900

My Ride
    UA6

So my first impressions on this phone are that it is very fast, you can have multiple web pages going and each one will still scroll smoothly. The touchscreen is a very nice touch when used in combination with the keypad.

Battery life sucks, the battery is in the red by the end of the day even with minimal internet browsing and no youtube.

The touchscreen does take some getting used to especially when trying to click things near the edges of the screen or when there are several clickable links near each other

And as mentioned, the camera no longer has autofocus, however I find the quality is still pretty good.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

I went and picked this up yesterday since I was a huge fan of the original bold and loved its keyboard - the second I got home and got around to playing with it - I realized I didn't love it.

I ended up going back and returning it. I had it for about an hour.

The touchscreen was great - that was the reason I got it in the first place, but I found that every time they update the OS, there seems to be minimal changes and it felt like it lacked a lot of things. Almost seems like they move things around, change the icons a bit and that's it.

Perhaps it's because I'm coming from an iPhone where they are two totally different things - but even reading things like twitter and facebook on it was extremely bland. Looked like notepad text.

It's a good phone if you aren't big on the "entertainment" aspect of a phone. It was difficult to make that transition though - even though it was only for an hour.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I also got to play with this phone. My impressions are its by far the nicest, fastest, coolest blackberry to date. But at the end of the day its still a blackberry which means it wont be for everyone.

The make of the phone is top notch. It feels like a very expensive gadget when you hold it in your hand. The bezel is stainless steel with metal buttons which is a very nice touch. The keyboard is also very nice if you're into that. The touchscreen was surprisingly pleasant when using the browser which was very responsive both when navigating and zooming.

The biggest downside is it still has that Blackberry UI which just feels a bit dated.

As riced pointed out, this phone wont be for everyone. QNX can't come fast enough and the rumors of Android apps running on Blackberry's would help boost the phones popularity. In the end I think RIM put out a very respectable device, I guess time will tell if they hit the market expectations, whatever is left of it anyway.

My Ride
    2008 UA7

Loving my 9900 so far. My app world seems to be lagging haaaard for some reason. It won't let me download some apps, then it lags and boots me out lol. But other then that, I think its an amazing phone. The keyboard feels amazing. Thumbs up for supporting a canadian company.

Originally posted by MugenBB6
    Thumbs up for supporting a canadian company.
    did you really just give your self a thumbs up?? haha

the 9900 is a good phone from the one hour i spent playing with my friends phone, its extremely fast. however, i would maybe wait until early Q1 2012 for the rumour batch of new QNX phones to arrive.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I would not hold out for QNX. Its unproven as a smartphone platform, and the Playbook has been a let down so far. Though as soon as the Android app player thing gets going, it will make the Playbook far more interesting.

I'm going to be picking up a 9900 at the end of this month since my contract is nearing its end. iPhone is in my opinion more of a media device with phone capabilities vs a phone with media capabilities (BlackBerry)

God I love a physical keyboard.

And I also must say, to anyone supporting RIM. I'm proud to be Canadian, may as well support a Canadian company.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    2008 UA7

^ lol yes, yes I did.
    1998 Honda Civic SI *totalled*
    2000 Honda Prelude *sold*
    2004 Acura TSX *sold*
    2004 Honda S2000 *sold*
    2008 Acura TL Type S *current daily*
    2015 KTM RC390 *current daily*

mines been pissing me off... so im going to go in and swap it out for another one

one of the problems i encountered was... the notifcations werent being displayed. it showed the star beside the icon, but wouldnt display on the top banner bar.

As well as sometimes the phone wouldnt turn on...

not sure if anyone faced these problems with their 9900

Mines been working fine but why the hell does it say I only have 77 mb of application storage when I have way less apps than my torch and my torch said I had almost 200 mb? Anyone got a fix for that issue?
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

did they lower the price to 99 for new contracts? i thought i saw that somewhere but couldnt find it

i got mine swapped out to a new one.. seems fine but the battery one this one sucks more than before.. i hope they come out with an os update that improves the batttery life... even by a little bit help
    =D

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    did they lower the price to 99 for new contracts? i thought i saw that somewhere but couldnt find it
    Rogers price dropped the 9900 and 9810 to $99 on a 3 year contract. But i believe that is only until September 5 or something like that.

My Ride

Originally posted by dino_martini

Rogers price dropped the 9900 and 9810 to $99 on a 3 year contract. But i believe that is only until September 5 or something like that.
    new contract only or hardware upgrade as well?

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Anyone use their NFC on the 9900 yet? I'm curious on what actual use there is for it?
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

new contract only or hardware upgrade as well?
    Should work for anyone, maybe it just depends on how many months you have left on your contract. I'm with Bell so I cannot specifically comment on the procedures at Rogers

My Ride
    ep3

Should work for anyone, maybe it just depends on how many months you have left on your contract. I'm with Bell so I cannot specifically comment on the procedures at Rogers
    Essentially the same..

upgrade will be priced $50 more than the new activation price until you redeem your mail in rebate and have a $35 administration fee

new contract will have $35 activation fee unless there's an in store promo

Either way in the end its the same price unless you're doing an early hardware upgrade, than its $15 each month until you're eligible on top of the price of the phone

My Ride

I cant find this anywhere!! and the idiots at the rogers store said 199?!!!!!?!?!?

My Ride
    F30

the 9900 is 199 on an upgrade, i guess rogers is matching the 99 for new contracts only.
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    ep3

Oh..also forgot to mention and I didn't check..Hardware upgrade prices follow the new activation prices that are shown on the rogers.com site....not in the store

Ive upgraded my OS to .353... seems quite good on battery... All day consumption is around 20-25%. Unplugged at 7am... right now im at 80% left..
    Harold: ...The universe tends to unfold as it should.
    Kumar: What is that? some fortune cookie?

[IMG]www.jhin.com/blog/ archives/category/movie/[/ IMG]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast