Quantcast
TAX writeoff???Post secondary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: TAX writeoff???Post secondary

My Ride
    KTM

Default TAX writeoff???Post secondary

Hey i know you can claim your tution as a tax deduction but is it possible to claim the cost of your books??

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

no, it specifically states in the tax book that you cannot. sucks I know.

My Ride
    KTM

Thanks for the reply, thats BS

I can claim Corrective eye surgery but not my books.... so stupid

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Yah the only benefit of being in school full time is you get all the tax you paid back.

Well it's been the case ever since I've been in post secondary....haven't had to pay anything yet and I always get whatever I paid in tax back.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

probably cause you don't make enough money.

you do know that you get a $400 (or at least when I was in school) credit for every month you are a full time student?

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by benyl
    probably cause you don't make enough money.

you do know that you get a $400 (or at least when I was in school) credit for every month you are a full time student?
    No explain more.....

Originally posted by craigcd

No explain more.....
    Your T2202 (I think that's the number. I should know since we're developing/testing our we're sending out) will explain it all, which your school provides you.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Originally posted by Ajay
    Yah the only benefit of being in school full time is you get all the tax you paid back.

Well it's been the case ever since I've been in post secondary....haven't had to pay anything yet and I always get whatever I paid in tax back.
    How and when do you get it paid back?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

go here. all the information you might need about this can be found.

http://iis-sii.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/ez.in...e=5&group=INDV

click on education and then on yes twice. It will explain the $400 I am talking about.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by ramminghard

How and when do you get it paid back?
    \

If you work while you go to school you'll get your T4 from you work and T4's from any other type of income you have as well. All I did was fill out my tax return (well my dad does it) when UofC sends my tax receipt information and a couple weeks later I get back all the taxes I paid from my job.

I went over this in Fnce 343.... You used to be able to write off all your books. Now you just get $400 per semester if your a FT student... or $250 if your PT.

My Ride
    Audi

I dont thnk you can get ALL of it backk.. I thought you can only claim your tuition amount?

The $400/month is basically what will be deducted from your total income for that year.

So if you make $20000 and you were a FT student for 7 months your taxable income will be reduced to $17200 ($20000-$2800) so any of the tax you paid on the $2800 you will get back. Which (depeding on your tax bracket) could be around $500-700 that you will get on your income tax return.

If you didnt make much money this year. You can hang onto the slip and defer claiming the credit until you are making more.

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

How are student loans taxed? I could've borrowed $5000 but I turned some of it down because I wasn't exactly sure how I was gonna be taxed and I didn't really need the money either. If I made $5000 in wages, got $3000 scholarships, and borrowed $3000, how would I be taxed?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

the interest you pay on a student loan is a tax write off. The rest doesn't matter.

You should call the CCRA and they can answer these types of questions better than we can. They review the returns, so they know what it is all about.

Originally posted by sputnik
    The $400/month is basically what will be deducted from your total income for that year.

So if you make $20000 and you were a FT student for 7 months your taxable income will be reduced to $17200 ($20000-$2800) so any of the tax you paid on the $2800 you will get back. Which (depeding on your tax bracket) could be around $500-700 that you will get on your income tax return.

If you didnt make much money this year. You can hang onto the slip and defer claiming the credit until you are making more.
    Does this apply to all tax brackets? What if you were a fulltime student making 65 000/year on the side?
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by no_joke
    How are student loans taxed? I could've borrowed $5000 but I turned some of it down because I wasn't exactly sure how I was gonna be taxed and I didn't really need the money either. If I made $5000 in wages, got $3000 scholarships, and borrowed $3000, how would I be taxed?
    A loan is not considered income so you would not incur any income tax on it at all. Scholarships are considered income and you will pay taxes on them, however you are allowed a certain amount tax free, IIRC. Your student loans will remain in interest free status as long as you provide proof that you are still in full-time studies.

edit: forgot to apply to your example... $5000 in wages undergo normal payroll deductions unless you have indicated to your employer that you are exempt due to income level. $3000-exemption (don't remember what it was; it's been a while) would be considered income and taxed. $3000 student loan would be exempt from all types of deductions since it's not income. At the end of the year, your total income wouldn't even break past the basic tax credits and that's not even taking into consideration the other tax benefits of being a student. Thus, you'd get a tax refund and possible refund for overpayment of other payroll deductions.

Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Does this apply to all tax brackets? What if you were a fulltime student making 65 000/year on the side?
    Yes, it all applies to all tax brackets. Any interest paid on your student loans is 100% tax deductible.
    Last edited by Altezza; 01-23-2004 at 01:40 AM.

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Wow! Thanks a lot for the help Altezza!

Didn't actually expect anyone to have an answer to my problem.

My Ride
    The Bus

And don't forget they can be carry forward to the next year. OR if you are nice enough you can transfer it to your parents and they might pay you for it. This ususally lowers them to the lower tax bracket. Consider time value of money and inflation, a dollar now could buy more.