Quantcast
1997 Ford Explorer XL 4wd - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1997 Ford Explorer XL 4wd

My Ride
    89 Ram, 05 Pursuit, 05 Honda Civic SI, 98 Cavalier

Default 1997 Ford Explorer XL 4wd Transmission Issue

Picked up said truck yesterday... got it for a great deal so what if it's a Ford and it doesn't go forwards?

Anyways ... V6 4x4 Explorer, 214,xxx km on it. Automatic transmission was rebuilt just 5k km ago in April 2010.

It will only go into reverse - most of the time. We managed to get it going in D last night, but that ended up being strictly a fluke, because it will not do it again. I have checked the transmission fluid, it is super clean and good level.
    I've checked the e-brake cable and the brakes, nothing is seized up or anything so it's nothing super simple like that...must be a ford lol

What can I do to try to diagnose and repair this? What are some possibilities? I've never had a Ford or a 4WD so transfer case etc is very much out of my knowledge at this point.

When playing around, I have tried all drive options - D, 2, 1 - as well as the 4wd options - 4H, 4L, 2wd. Nothing changes. I can get it into reverse in any of the above, but it will not go forwards.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by derran.m; 08-13-2011 at 02:00 PM.

The transmissions in that generation of Explorers are notoriously crappy. Who did the rebuild in April 2010? Did you get some kind of proof from the last owner showing it was actually done or did he just tell you that?

I would suspect the transmission needs an overhaul... again(?)...

My Ride

Yes, it was definitely done by a reputable transmission shop in High River. And yes, i do have documentation showing that it was done and when, hence why I have all the dates and mileage. But I have heard that these trannys are pretty bad - especially when the former owner used a V6 Ford to plow snow LOL.
    I just find it hard to believe that it would need another overhaul - like I say it was working fine last night, no issues and we ran up and down all the gears and it went quite well, no clunks or jerking or anything and it shifted smoother than my 89 dodge does. It's almost like the shifter is not properly engaging the transmission, almost like it's a loose connection somewhere...
    The best rules to form a young man are: to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it.
    Sir William Temple

What sort of warranty did the transmission shop issue on the work? 1 year?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would also second an electrical, rather than an a hyrdomechanical problem.

My Ride
    K-car

I would be guessing its some electrical problem, maybe a bad connection or linkage. In my experence either a tranny works or it's fried, usually they dont just work sometimes like yours. Check the collum mount shifter itself as well.

My Ride

Originally posted by masoncgy
    What sort of warranty did the transmission shop issue on the work? 1 year?
    Yep, unfortunately only 1 year on rebuilds. But I'm contemplating harassing em anyways cause considering only 5k km on it and only a few months past the warranty lol.

My Ride

It going into reverse only makes me think trans, but it happening sporadically makes me think the linkage is out of adjustment. Pick-n-pull is full of these explorers, so you may be able to grab another tranny (or a complete 5.0 swap )

My Ride

So many differing opinions lol

what would I be checking for in the column shifter? just the linkage right in the column? I got underneath of it and there's really no way of seeing that far in to see what is beyond the firewall in the engine compartment. If I know what to look for in the column then that I can probably handle to at least check and narrow down the options. I just didn't think it could be there, as the gear display in the dash moves properly.

I definitely like the 5.0 swap idea though ... I've seen a few posts on ford forums about that being done ... great idea but only if I have another vehicle that doesn't guzzle the gas ... I need this one running just to get me to work and back without costing an arm and a leg in fuel
    The best rules to form a young man are: to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it.
    Sir William Temple

My Ride

You won't see much of an improvement having a 4.0 4x4 vs 5.0 4x4, they are both pretty crappy on gas

I would check where the shifter cable meets the trans, and see if a bracket has come off or loosened, if a pivot is very rusty, if anything looks out of place or looks like binding is going on, if the cable has been snagged, etc.

I'd put the tuck on jackstands, pop off the cable near the trans, and manually work the input to see if its going through the proper range of motion and is selecting the gears. That will tell you whether its the trans or the shifter

My Ride

Also, I hear of the screws holding the cable under the dash backing off and causing this problem, take a look there first

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride

K well I have done the above and first layed under the truck with the wifey shifting ... and right up to the arm into the tranny it seems to be fine. I can hear it clicking into each gear exactly as you said. I removed the cable and moved the arm manually, and no problem it clicks at each gear, but the tranny is still not engaging in anything but reverse and park. But I'm not 100% sure that's NOT the problem ... once again my un-familiarity of auto trans doesn't help - perhaps it needs to be tightened or replaced, I do not know how much travel should be in the cable.
    I have pulled the dash apart and checked everything in there and it all APPEARS to be okay, and the shifter is tight ... my Dodge has a trick shifter that's real loose so I know how it feels if too loose, and that's definitely not the case here.
    Another suggestion brought to my attention was possibly an air line of some sort ... he's an old guy so his wording is hard to understand, something along the lines of an air pot on the side of the tranny, which goes to a line to the manifold. Sounds like something I'd find on a much older vehicle than this, I think ... ???
    I'm determined one way or another to get this thing going. I will do everything within my abilities to at least try to diagnose before bringing it to a mechanic.
    Sir William Temple