Quantcast
Official 2011-2012 Ski Season Thread! - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2011-2012 Ski Season Thread!

There are certain benefits to riding switch, for me mainly to traverse better and avoid fatigue. Otherwise, I never ride switch.

Thanks Sam

I think the main reasons people will learn switch it just to get comfortable leading on both legs so when they start throwing in some 180s, they can ride off much easier (well that's why I am learning switch)

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by almerick
    Thanks Sam

I think the main reasons people will learn switch it just to get comfortable leading on both legs so when they start throwing in some 180s, they can ride off much easier (well that's why I am learning switch)
    I am learning switch for the same reason. I started last weekend at Louise. Caught a couple edges on the groomers, which made me realize I had forgotten how hard ice is I am surprised at how quickly I was able to link turns though, only took me half a run.

For anyone attempting to learn switch, I found it much easier to start on a steeper (I say steeper as in the "steeper" part of a green run) area because I found i caught way too many edges by starting off slow. Going faster helps the transition from toeside to heelside much better.

Watched Art of Flight last night. What a dissapointment.

In BC: "Conditions are terrible, high avalanche danger. Yea I bet this is gonna slide. Lets do it anyway." *Guy goes and gets taken in a slide, holding his head, no helmet* "Yea we aren't really happy with how that went"

In South America " You know its about the adventure of getting there not the journey" *As they are climbing into the helicopter... what an adventure...*

In Patagonia they probably spent a few hundred thousand doing one line that I get to do every day at resorts.

The first 15 mins of Alaska was awesome. The rest was filler for the "I am Travis Rice. I am god" show.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Louise hasn't been very good lately.. any updates on Sunshine? Word to the wise, when Calgary gets a storm check out Nakiska, it usually gets the same storm.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by max_boost
    Almerick, hope you get better bud.

Another n00b question, benefits to riding switch?

Did you guys master one way and then learned the other way or just practiced both equally?

Honestly I'm getting quite comfortable with riding regular. I can link turns now and only concern is just improving that way. Should I start going goofy?

YES. I wish I could tell this to everyone starting out on a snowboard. Learn both ways from the start and you will be much happier with yourself later on.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by dimi
    Watched Art of Flight last night. What a dissapointment.

In BC: "Conditions are terrible, high avalanche danger. Yea I bet this is gonna slide. Lets do it anyway." *Guy goes and gets taken in a slide, holding his head, no helmet* "Yea we aren't really happy with how that went"

In South America " You know its about the adventure of getting there not the journey" *As they are climbing into the helicopter... what an adventure...*

In Patagonia they probably spent a few hundred thousand doing one line that I get to do every day at resorts.

The first 15 mins of Alaska was awesome. The rest was filler for the "I am Travis Rice. I am god" show.
    Thank you.

The first few pages of this thread is filled with people saying how awesome and revolutionary it is, I was super excited to watch it. About halfway through I was wondering if I was watching the wrong movie. Literally one of the worst videos iv ever seen.

My Ride
    Lariat

i really liked 'art of flight' it could have been about half as long but i really enjoyed the revy and area seggy (the good non avi one) and the jackson segment. i could do without the rest of it but i like it for those 2 parts alone
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

The Jackson segment was filmed in THE EXACT SAME PLACE that they filmed in That's it That's all. Same jump, same tree taps. The one thing that was different is we didn't see the triple flip, and they werent going all out like last time.

Like I said, the Alaska part was sick. Otherwise, it was all about showing the red bull logo every 10 seconds and their helicopters. This was by far the snowboarding movie with the most product placement that I have ever seen. Nothing even comes close to the amount of product marketing in this video.

Jeremy Jones' "Deeper" for me. I prefer to watch guys hike the shit out of their lines, than take the easy way in and still give us a 1:10 snowboarding:other bullshit ratio.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by dimi
    Jeremy Jones' "Deeper" for me. I prefer to watch guys hike the shit out of their lines, than take the easy way in and still give us a 1:10 snowboarding:other bullshit ratio.

I am stoked for "Further" next fall

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Louise was awesome today. Tons of sweet fast runs, not that much snow but a ton of fun.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Louise hasn't been very good lately.. any updates on Sunshine? Word to the wise, when Calgary gets a storm check out Nakiska, it usually gets the same storm.
    Gonna go check it out right now! Had a couple bad falls yesterday with all the grooms. Today should be good
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I was at Sunshine yesterday again, still had a lot of fun and only hit one or two rocks, we went around hitting all the visible jumps and drops we could find.

Doesn't seem like AMA sells discounted lift tix for Revelstoke. Has anyone gone to Costco recently and noticed if Costco does?

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Costco in Beacon Hills has them for sure.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

Well this can pretty well be called this ski/snowboard season thread so I'll post my new purchase

Should be a fun little pow machine. 165 Burton Barracuda with Burton X-Base EST's. Not gonna lie, I wasn't a fan of EST, but the guy at source talked me into it. Fully carbon fibre highbacks, the things are fucking light. I picked up the box and thought nothing was in there. The board itself is the lightest board I have ever strapped to my feet.

I drive an $800 car, and have a $1000 snowboard (plus my other board that ran me at the time $900). Yeah.... I've got my priorities set just right .

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Nice one! I've been debating over a new board but ended up getting new skis this year. Let me know how you like your board, it's the same one I was looking at a few weeks ago.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    2006 HP

Hit up sunshine yesterday..had some nice pow form the night before and it was snowing too..goats eye was still closed tho..got stuck a couple times in waist deep pow haha

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    RIP Shane McConkey in Pengu form

Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast