Quantcast
FWD vs AWD dsm - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FWD vs AWD dsm

My Ride
    Hybrid

Default FWD vs AWD dsm

I'm currently looking for 1g AWD DSM, and i'm having a hell of a time finding an affordable one. So I started asking myself if I really even need AWD, since it probably uses more gas anyways.

What are the pros and cons to AWD vs FWD dsms?

So far...

AWD
    -better traction (winter)

FWD
    -better fuel economy?

AWD
    faster off the line
    FWD
    not as much shit to fix
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    pedals

man they are everywhere! i always run across them. there are tones with snapped timing belts in the j-yards too. ill kepp my eyes open for ya.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

As soon as you start seriously moddong your DSM if you plan to...the FWD will just wheel spin, as they dont as far as I can remember come with LSD's...

The AWD will give you amazing traction, off of the line, and incredibly wicked looking launches to boot...

Yes there is a bit more drivline drag with the AWD so your fuel economy will go out the window, but I mean if we are modding then who kinda cares right, more stuff to repair and maintain with the AWD, but all in all more fun to drive in All Seasons...

If you can wait for one, then certainly do and get an AWD...it is totally worth it man...

Ask any DSMer...any REAL DSMer...traction is traction...whether up a hill or in the snow...

Oh BTW...check out this site it may help your search...

CalgaryDSM
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

DSM's are great platforms to work with. What are you planning to do with it? If rally or drag racing appeals to you, I'd get the settle for nothing less than the AWD. If its mostly a daily driver and perhaps an autocross vehicle, you could settle for the FWD.

From what I've heard, there isn't much difference in reliability or gas mileage between the two drivetrains. If you go FWD, your main advantage should be the lower cost of the vehicle. Just make sure it will still do what you want it to do.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by hjr
    man they are everywhere! i always run across them. there are tones with snapped timing belts in the j-yards too. ill kepp my eyes open for ya.
    Thanks... but if the timing belt is snapped, then isn't the engine most likely dead?

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
    As soon as you start seriously moddong your DSM if you plan to...the FWD will just wheel spin, as they dont as far as I can remember come with LSD's...

The AWD will give you amazing traction, off of the line, and incredibly wicked looking launches to boot...

Yes there is a bit more drivline drag with the AWD so your fuel economy will go out the window, but I mean if we are modding then who kinda cares right, more stuff to repair and maintain with the AWD, but all in all more fun to drive in All Seasons...

If you can wait for one, then certainly do and get an AWD...it is totally worth it man...

Ask any DSMer...any REAL DSMer...traction is traction...whether up a hill or in the snow...

Oh BTW...check out this site it may help your search...

CalgaryDSM
    Thanks, I'll check out that site

I will probably be using the car as a daily driver, and don't plan to mod until i graduate and start making some money (2 years).

HAHAHA not bad man
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Strider

Thanks... but if the timing belt is snapped, then isn't the engine most likely dead?

See whats cool about DSM's is that there are a lot of mods you can do for free or almost NO CASH...Take a look at the links I will give you at the end of this post and read...if you have questions or whatever just PM me man...

And as far as the motor being dead, yeah, but you can pick them up for real cheap and rebuild the motor for not a lot of cash man...Just an option...

Originally posted by CRX-R

HAHAHA not bad man
    Thanks...I try...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1993 Nissan 240sx

AWD all the way. Just think of it this way, if Subaru made a FWD WRX STI who would buy it. awd is a great advantage to have, when it's launching or in the corners.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by africano
    AWD all the way. Just think of it this way, if Subaru made a FWD WRX STI who would buy it. awd is a great advantage to have, when it's launching or in the corners.

Yes, BUT the Subaru, or the All-Trac's AWD systems is a lil different than that of a DSM...

In the Subaru its..."from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"

In the Toyota's case...its a 50/50 split front to rear

With the DSM its a 70/30 split front to rear not the coolest for corner carving, BUT, still better than FWD alone...
    ...@therealarifjina...

And as far as the motor being dead, yeah, but you can pick them up for real cheap and rebuild the motor for not a lot of cash man...Just an option...

They're interference engines?
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by T5_X

They're interference engines?

Yes, and I KNOW cause I learned the HARD WAY...

But rebuild it, yank the balance shafts, and eliminate that problem of the balance shaft belt snapping and you are good to go...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Taurus SHO, 6G72 Spyder

If you've spent this much time waiting and looking, I'd hold out for an AWD. You might burn a LITTLE more fuel, but you will more than make up for it in performance/traction. I think you will be happier if you wait for an AWD.

just my $0.02..

My Ride
    WRX

AWD, I have never looked back.

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Yes, BUT the Subaru, or the All-Trac's AWD systems is a lil different than that of a DSM...

In the Subaru its..."from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"

In the Toyota's case...its a 50/50 split front to rear

With the DSM its a 70/30 split front to rear not the coolest for corner carving, BUT, still better than FWD alone...
    Ah no. Subaru has 50/50 torque split to front and rear. Then depending on what model it has limited slip differentials or open differentials (out of the three places one can put them).

I believe the Eclipse has 60 front 40 rear torque split (makes it more prone to understeer and forget about proper powersliding). And then of course, unequal length driveshafts. No matter 4WD or FWD one probably gets naughty torque steer from that thing. As for what differentials it has, I don't know.

My Ride
    03 Focus SVT

If you're going to be street racing AWD is the only way to go. I've raced a few awd & rwd vehicles. I don't race anymore. If you're going to be driving in the snow AWD is the only way to go. Aside from racing & snow AWD kinda sucks. You will get better gas mileage in a fwd & you'll get up hills better also. fwd put more power to the wheels than awd cars.

FWD. Then you can chirp the tires in 2nd. Hey, i gotta look forward to something right?

All in all there is nothing wrong with FWD. Some people make it out way worse than it is. FWD DSMs are 300lbs lighter than AWD and have less drive train loss. On Deerfoot or anywhere i need the juice it pulls harder than an AWD from the roll. I've driven FWD almost all my life and i have no trouble easing off the line without burning out my tires and still having the car pull real hard. FWD is good, just learn to drive it properly.

There are a lot of nice FWD DMSs for sale on this forum that never get sold. Personally, i would rather own a FWD DSM in good shape, body and mechanically, over an AWD rust bucket that's on it's last legs which most of the ones i've seen for sale here are.

Nice 1G DSMs are almost impossible to find now adays. If you're going to be picky about getting a nice 1G and having AWD you might be waiting a long time or paying a big premium.

Just some tips. AWD is definitely nice, but some people make it out to be the be all and end all which is not true.

My Ride
    01 Carrera 4S, 05 350Z

The AWD DSMs sound like trucks (really loud) and tend to break down more. I think most of the turbo DSMs also have the crankwalk issue which you should watch out for.

Originally posted by pr0
    The AWD DSMs sound like trucks (really loud) and tend to break down more. I think most of the turbo DSMs also have the crankwalk issue which you should watch out for.
    Nothing to do with with turbo. It's the 2nd Gens and the 7 bolt engines.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by BigMass
    FWD. Then you can chirp the tires in 2nd. Hey, i gotta look forward to something right?

All in all there is nothing wrong with FWD. Some people make it out way worse than it is. FWD DSMs are 300lbs lighter than AWD and have less drive train loss. On Deerfoot or anywhere i need the juice it pulls harder than an AWD from the roll. I've driven FWD almost all my life and i have no trouble easing off the line without burning out my tires and still having the car pull real hard. FWD is good, just learn to drive it properly.

There are a lot of nice FWD DMSs for sale on this forum that never get sold. Personally, i would rather own a FWD DSM in good shape, body and mechanically, over an AWD rust bucket that's on it's last legs which most of the ones i've seen for sale here are.

Nice 1G DSMs are almost impossible to find now adays. If you're going to be picky about getting a nice 1G and having AWD you might be waiting a long time or paying a big premium.

Just some tips. AWD is definitely nice, but some people make it out to be the be all and end all which is not true.

Originally posted by pr0

Thanks for the advice guys, but I already picked up an 1g AWD Talon. Its a 1g 6 bolt I believe, so no worries about crankwalk...
    and no, it doesn't sound like a truck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast