Quantcast
Review: Lens Rentals Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review: Lens Rentals Canada

Thumbs up Review: Lens Rentals Canada

http://www.lensrentalscanada.com/

I recently used Lens Rentals Canada to rent a Nikon 10-24mm for my trip trip to Hawaii. They have a fairly complete selection of Nikon/Canon lenses, flashes, and accessories but their main business is lenses.

As far as I can tell it's a 1 man show run by a gentlemen named Craig Blair. It's based out of Ownen Sound, Ontario.

Their prices are WAY better than anything you will find locally at Vistek or The Camera Store. Insurance is only a small additional fee and covers you for everything except loss/theft and water damage. Deductible is 5% of the lens cost - pretty reasonable.

My rental situation was somewhat unique so I thought I should write a review.

How it Works
    You call them, or reserve online the lens/equipment you want. The equipment arrives on, or slightly before the day you need it by via mail. Inside the box is of course the lens, convenient packaging, and a return shipping label. When you're done with the lens, you simply re-package it in the box using everything it came with (memory foam and bubble wrap, so it's easy to deal with). After that, you just tape it up, stick the included return shipping label on the box and drop it off at the nearest Canada Post. Done.

My Experience
    First of all, I needed the lens slightly more than 2 weeks, because my vacation was Saturday July 30 - Sunday August 14. This meant I couldn't return it until Monday August 15th, and late lenses are subject to extra charge. I told the owner (Craig Blair) the situation and it was no problem at all, I was just charged the 2 week rate even though I needed it 2-3 extra days. I reserved about a month in advance and it was no problem.

Come Thursday, July 28th, I hadn't seen the lens yet so I got a little worried. I checked my e-mail and saw I had an e-mail from Craig saying that the lens was returned late by the previous renter, but he was using Purolator to overnight the lens to me so I would still get it on time. Overnight shipping isn't cheap, so I was impressed that he had done this for me.

On Friday, July 29th, I was waiting around at work for the lens to arrive (I ship everything to my office so I'm around to pick it up). Nothing showed up, and since I left for holidays the next day I stayed at the office until 6pm (6 hours after closing on a Friday) only to finally learn from Purolator that they decided they were going to deliver it on the following Tuesday (!) instead. Needless to say I was not at all pleased, because I could have been at home for the last 6 hours preparing for my vacation. I called Purolator (for probably the 5th time that day) and they said it was able to be picked up at the airport by 7:30pm, so I had an hour and a half to get home and drive to the airport. I ended up making it on time and getting the lens, so that was good at least.

The lens came in a box wrapped in bubble wrap, and memory foam on the top and bottom cut to match the dimensions of the box. It also came with the return shipping slip, of course. The lens itself was in 10/10 condition so I didn't have to worry about it not performing.

After receiving the lens, I e-mailed Craig simply to tell him that I had received everything, but since Purolator put me through such hassle (wasted 6 hours of my time plus a drive to the airport) and the lens was not delivered on time (guaranteed by 6pm) perhaps he could get his shipping money back and some good could come of the situation. I also suggested that maybe in the future he try a different overnight shipping option (maybe the one guaranteed by 10am) if the shipping companies can't meet their deadlines. I did not ask for anything back because this of course is 100% not the fault of Craig/Lens Rentals Canada and entirely on Purolator. Craig had already gone out of his way to ensure I got the lens on time by overnighting it to me. During my holidays I checked my e-mail and to my surprise I saw a receipt for a full refund for my lens order, including GST and the cost of insurance. I sent Craig an e-mail to thank him for this unexpected surprise and he simply stated that he hates when things don't go smoothly and a refund was the right thing to do in his opinion.

So, aside from my hassles which were in no way the fault of Lens Rentals Canada, the experience was excellent. A big thumbs up to Craig Blair who went out of his way to make sure I got the lens on time even though it was returned late, as well as compensating me for my hassles even though it wasn't his fault. I highly recommend Lens Rentals Canada to anyone looking to rent/try out a particular lens!

I think some others here have used the service so feel free to add your thoughts or anything I missed.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.

This is good to know as I was considering using them for my destination weddings in March and April.

How does the shipping process work? Is everything sent from within Canada or does it come from the US? My biggest fear of doing this was always the shipping charges and potential duties/gst/etc.

My Ride
    Horse

From his site, comes from Ontario.

This review is awesome, I am going to a book a few lenses for when I go home in september.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    rally pig

thanks for the review, I might rent a Canon EF-S 10-22 from them as well for October, will wait until september though

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I've rented from them 3 or 4 times. Seamless every time.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

kind of a piss off that they rent almost all of the Canon big glass, but only a select few of the nikons

The 600 is one of the few lenses I've yet to be able to play with.

But I have heard nothing but good things about the company...never seen a bad review.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 08-17-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

I rented the same lens from them for my Cuba trip, was awesome.

The box got thrown out and I returned it 3 days late in a different box with no manual and I still didn't get charged (I of course had discussed everything with Craig). Lens Rental Canada is the shit!

Originally posted by Go4Long
    kind of a piss off that they rent almost all of the Canon big glass, but only a select few of the nikons

The 600 is one of the few lenses I've yet to be able to play with.

But I have heard nothing but good things about the company...never seen a bad review.
    If I'm not mistaken, the 600's are very rare and usually have a pretty long waiting list. A lot of stores have them as special order only.

My guess is that he simply doesn't have enough interest for it, or he's trying to get one and can't. Can't be sure though.

He's got the Canon stuff all the way up to 800mm, so either he can't get the Nikon stuff or there for whatever reason isn't enough interest.

It's a good business though, you'd pay off the lenses pretty fast if you had even a reasonable amount of customers.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

they are quite rare yes, the 400 2.8 also isn't on their list, and it's not quite as rare. Vistek had mine in stock

My Ride
    POS

have a good experience with them as well. Craig is been very helpful and professional customer services.
    For Rent: 1000 sq apartment located in Downtown. available immediately. Pls PM me for further detail

Pm for detail

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

I was going to use Lens Rentals but I went with Lens Lenders instead because they fit my schedule better. Great service as well and I think they're out of Owen Sound too, oddly enough.

My Ride
    rally pig

renting a Canon 70-300 4-5.6 L IS lens for my Hawaii trip from Oct 7-16.

Craig is fast on replying (10-20min) and informed me that he will ship the lens on Oct 3.

So far so good.

My Ride
    rally pig

Well this was totally unexpected but apparently Lens Rentals Canada is closing down.

From Facebook
    Breaking News: Effective immediately, Lens Rentals Canada is ceasing operations. A press release will be up on www.lensrentalscanada.com later today.

We are going to honour most of the reservations already in the system, we'll try to honour them all.

We're not closing because we're going out of business, we're closing because the business doesn't fit into the lives we want to lead. Continuing to do something you're going to resent and grow to dislike isn't a way to live in our eyes.

Stay tuned for the press release later today.

Thanks
    Craig
    Lens Rentals Canada.

dibs on the 70-300 L IS

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

hmmm...beyond photog group buy? we all chip in a couple thousand dollars (ok, a couple 10 thousand dollars) and buy an established lens rental company

My Ride
    rally pig

^ wouldn't mind pitching in but I'm curious on Craig's word "Continuing to do something you're going to resent and grow to dislike isn't a way to live in our eyes."
    I wonder what was going on the background

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

not everyone is cut out to run their own business...if you think being self employed is the ticket to shorter days and bigger paychecks most people are in for a rude awakening. It means you're the opener and the closer, and you've got all the bills to pay before you collect a penny...it can be a challenge, I've watched some people in my family do it for decades before they found success...

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Boy that sucks.

He probably worked long hours and dealt with mountains of bullshit every single day. I'd leave too, if that was the case.

He did a great job while it was running though.

My Ride
    rally pig

well this is great news, they will be re-opening with some changes.

Breaking News:

A restructuring of Lens Rentals Canada has taken place and final approval of the arrangement should come today.

Thank you for putting up with the roller coaster that has taken place this week. We hope to have an explanation up on the site today and the doors back open.

Thanks
    Craig

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I'm guessing someone stepped in and made an offer for the business.