Quantcast
Petitions to find a new place for Race City - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Petitions to find a new place for Race City

Talking Petition to find a new place for Race City

Let's keep Race City so please Beyond members please sign the petition on the Race City website...

http://www.racecity.com/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1
    Last edited by Toyota Racing; 09-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Unless you have new info, that petition is old and I believe the city has already seen it, nothing is saving the track right now...

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

The track is garbage. Why rebuild when we could move and make fresh. 10 million to rebuild or 15 for a state of the art track??

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    15 for a state of the art track??
    not even close to getting a state of the art track for that.

minimum 20 million could get you a working track with no facilities that attract investors. Miller cost $120 million, it's done right, huge paddocks with gp garages that you can rent by the day/week/month/year, huge hospitality suites with meeting rooms, corporate boxes to wine and dine the investors clients, etc, you can view 90% of the track from the stands (except for when they go down through the attitudes), reconfigurable track that can be run in different sizes depending on the event being run, etc. And all that RIGHT at the foot of the mountains in a climate just like ours, and oh yes, it's successful.

Race City is done. It's over, and the land is gone (thank god, the land is the reason the track falls apart after every winter), whatever the new track is will most likely have a corporate name attached to it.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 10-26-2011 at 01:54 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Why do people care about race city? Let them destroy it so we can have a half decent track in the city. Race city owner's are the most low budget people for years now not giving a crap about the track or trying to attract people to it with thing like renovations or fixing the courses.

Once it is gone it will have investors looking for somewhere for a new track...my guess is east of cross irons mall or out towards strathmore?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Why do people care about race city? Let them destroy it so we can have a half decent track in the city. Race city owner's are the most low budget people for years now not giving a crap about the track or trying to attract people to it with thing like renovations or fixing the courses.
    if you knew your car was going to be repoed next week would you replace the motor?

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

I doubt anyone with the financial means would open another track in the Calgary area. Race City just didn't bring in enough revenue. Not enough interest in Calgary for motorsports unfortunately.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by YamahaV8
    I doubt anyone with the financial means would open another track in the Calgary area. Race City just didn't bring in enough revenue. Not enough interest in Calgary for motorsports unfortunately.
    i take it you have not tried to book a track night this season...

My Ride
    1992 KA-T Silvia

Race city was busy but on Friday, Saturday's and Sunday's.
    The occasional club nights during the week.
    The prices they posted made it impossible to rent track time to just go have fun.
    They were trying to get their money out before it was inevitably shut down by city demands.
    With the amount of people dedicated to motorsports with their custom build cars for a track I have no doubt there's gonna be another track developed. Maybe not this coming year but works of art take time.

I'd be interested to see what fort Sasks race track stratotech or whatever cost. That's a sick looking course.
    (nuts for drifting )

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I really hope the city doesn't spend a single cent on any race facility.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

once race city is closed we won't see anything in calgary for 5+ years
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by YamahaV8
    you'd be surprised...again, different business model from a modern track to something like race city. Race city was built back when all you had to do was make a race track, and get a tobacco sponsor and it was more than enough tto keep the lights on. That''s just not the case anymore. Hence why I talked about Miller's business model in my previous post.

Originally posted by lellowrx7
    Race city was busy but on Friday, Saturday's and Sunday's.
    The occasional club nights during the week.
    The prices they posted made it impossible to rent track time to just go have fun.
    They were trying to get their money out before it was inevitably shut down by city demands.
    With the amount of people dedicated to motorsports with their custom build cars for a track I have no doubt there's gonna be another track developed. Maybe not this coming year but works of art take time.

I'd be interested to see what fort Sasks race track stratotech or whatever cost. That's a sick looking course.
    (nuts for drifting )
    Stratotech was not that expensive to build, and it's currently for sale. But if you talk to the owner he openly admits he should have built it longer and wider...it's not nearly big enough for a larger event, it's an overgrown go-kart track at best.

There was quite a few people paying the prices, I could have shot 4 days a week almost every week if I had wanted to.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I really hope the city doesn't spend a single cent on any race facility.
    The city didn't spend a cent on Race City either...not sure what would make you think they would shell out money for a new one. Aiding in the search for land doesn't mean they intend to give it to the motorsports council.

Originally posted by stevo 27
    once race city is closed we won't see anything in calgary for 5+ years
    Race City is basically closed already...there's two more track nights that I'm aware of, maybe a couple more secret street nights before snow falls sadly? the machines to expand 114th are very close by.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Go4Long

Race City is basically closed already...there's two more track nights that I'm aware of, maybe a couple more secret street nights before snow falls sadly? the machines to expand 114th are very close by.
    there is not one free night in all of october. the city wants to start cutting through the property for the ring road in the last week of october, but art said no and told them they can wait till january.

secret street will run to the very end too

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

crazy...maybe I can get some more photography in...
    I'm bored and need something to shooot

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Go4Long
    crazy...maybe I can get some more photography in...
    I'm bored and need something to shooot
    sunday, sunday, sunday! there should be a little bit of mayhem

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Workin till 5:30. Hehe.

My Ride
    Viper baby, Ohh and an H22 CB9

I would rather see the city spend some money on a racing facility then the skate park/drug town they built down town.

Could use the same idea for the bike path system, I never use them so why did I pay for them?
    Love my Viper.
    Radio controlled rock crawling. www.rc-ab.com

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by racerjim
    I would rather see the city spend some money on a racing facility then the skate park/drug town they built down town.

Could use the same idea for the bike path system, I never use them so why did I pay for them?

exactly this...
    I don't golf, but I pay for golf courses.
    I don't take a bus, but I pay for buses.
    I don't swim (because no one wants to see me in a swimsuit) but I pay for swimming pools.
    I work hard and have a home of my own, but I pay for homeless shelters.
    I was just fine with the number of pedestrian bridges we had over the river, but I still paid for another one at a rediculous cost.

I don't see why peopple get so up in arms about a Race Track being partially supported by the City of Calgary. Race tracks, once built, don't require nearly as much upkeep as the golf courses or the swimming pools that the city currently maintains.

And regardless of all that, the racing organizations aren't looking for a handout, they're looking for some assistance with the zoning.

It's this mentality that people shouldn't support things they don't use, because if they don't use them clearly they're not in the best interest of the city.

I'm shooting there twice this weekend...gonna be sad to say goodbye to the old girl.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 09-29-2011 at 08:33 PM.