Quantcast
Need opinion on used vehicle issue after sale - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need opinion on used vehicle issue after sale

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Default Need opinion on used vehicle issue after sale

Need some input on this.

I purchased a used AWD vehicle back in the spring for $5000 privately. Drove it for a few months and I wasn't happy with it. I listed the vehicle on kijiji for $4500 since a few issues came up with it in my time of ownership.

I had a few people look at the vehicle and I sold it to someone within a few weeks. The buyer brought his friend along to look at the car, he inspected it visually and took the vehicle for a test drive. I disclosed all the issues I was aware of, the ABS light was coming on and off randomly and there was a clunk in the front suspension as well as a vibration when braking at highway speeds. Being aware of these issues the buyer and I agreed on a price and he insisted on picking the vehicle up later in the evening. I specifically wrote "As is, No warranty" on the Bill of Sale.

Fast forward 3 weeks. The buyer now calls me saying the driveshaft for the AWD is missing and how it's now my problem. I have contacted the owner prior to me with no answer so far since I'm willing to help out. Now the buyer is telling me he wants his money back or a substantial amount of money back for the repairs...

What should I do...

I'll contact my lawyer tomorrow in regards to the legal aspect of this.

Thanks for the input
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Ask him if he needs help understanding "as is, no warrantee" on the bill of sale.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Buyer beware, he had an opportunity to to have it inspected and did. I'd say they should be on their own.

Just curious, how could you miss a drive shaft??? How do you not notice this?

Btw, what kind of car is this?

My Ride

For all I know he took it offroad and broke the driveshaft and wants a new one...Having said that I never physically checked to make sure it was there.

If it was a few days after the purchase I'd take the car back, but more than 3 weeks after is too much.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

A dictionary costs like $3. Give him $3, then he can look up all the big words on the bill of sale.

What kind of car?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Wait a minute.

Is this your old Jeep?

My Ride

No Fraser. My old Jeep went to a very nice girl

It's a Volvo XC

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Tell him to pound sand. I bought a MUCH more expensive vehicle some years ago and about 15 minutes after I purchased it the motor went and I was stuck with nearly a 9k repair bill.

Bill of sale read 'as is, where is'. I called our business lawyer to see if there was anything that could be done and the answer was no. I was told to try and contact the seller and hopefully he'd be willing to help on the cost of repairs because there was nothing else that could be done.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

I think you were too honest with that person and they have taken you for granted. I think that he is trying to screw you. There might be nothing wrong with the car...

There is nothing that the buyer can do, so no worries.

My Ride
    Depends

hahaha was it black and some bald guy that purchased it? if so i saw this goof offlroading in elbow falls like a clown, his name was emil or something

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

If you talk to him and want to be helpful, tell him that he can send the ABS module to this company: http://www.bba-reman.com/ca/index.aspx I had a Volvo giving me an ABS warning and it was due to a bad ABS module, BBA repaired it for cheap and the good news was I was still able to drive without it until it was fixed (there won't be any ABS though).

As for the drive shaft it is in no way your problem at all, its been three weeks, for all you know he has been driving like a moron and broke it.
    Last edited by Maybelater; 08-17-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride

The previous owner got back to me today and brought the driveshaft over to my place along with some roof bars that the car had originally. I wasn't able to get an answer as to why it was taken out in the first place since I wasn't home at the time.

I had a talk with my lawyer and he pretty much told me exactly what you guys are saying: He should've had the car inspected prior to purchase by a licensed mechanic and that the car was sold as is with no warranty.

I'll just let the buyer know that I've got some parts for him and that it's the end of it. I feel I've done more than my share in this situation.

My Ride
    changes every year

hey projekz, you sold me a supercharged civic a couple years ago and a few months after owning it, the satellite radio stopped working. im gonna need my $2800 back because i feel i really needed that radio. OR ill have to call my lawyer.

good luck on the situation.

My Ride

LOL Sorry man I had to cancel the satellite radio since I wasn't able to hear it coz you live so far away

I spoke to the buyer and he's disappointed with the fact that I wouldn't step up and buy him a new driveshaft or pay for a rebuilt one. I can't understand people. Already wasted lots of time and effort to track the previous owner down and get the missing parts.

just ignore him
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Tell him the parts are somewhere other than your house and he can pick them up if he wants. He sounds like the kind of goof who would mess up your stuff.

It sounds like you have done more than most people would to help the guy out.

Don't stress about it dude.

Agreed as is means as is, simple as that. But on a side note how the hell would the guy not notice if the drive shaft was missing? Maybe he didn't know what an AWD car is supposed to drive like? Driving a FWD car feels nothing like an AWD car even on systems with large FWD bias