Quantcast
Call me crazy but...has anyone year round daily driven a Corvette? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy but...has anyone year round daily driven a Corvette?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Call me crazy but...has anyone year round daily driven a Corvette?

Has anyone daily driven a C5 Corvette year round? I am very interested in one or something similar for my new car, but it will also be my only car.

not only is it not worth it, its also not possible. When it snows the c5 is too low to through most roads. Also there is too much torque your going to crash pretty easily.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Although not technically possible I had a friend in school who had a C5 (I think, could have been a C4 since the C5's were pretty new then) and he drove it year round. Only way he could afford it.

Got annoying after the first winter and end of the second summer he sold it.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    K-car

Just buy a beater for the winter and keep fire/theft ins on the Vette, you AND the Vette will be miserable in the winter, i couldn't imagine driving one through the winter.........dangerous!

My Ride
    This and that.

I contemplated this idea for a while and gave up on it. Just doesn't make sense on so many levels to be honest.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Call me crazy but...has anyone year round daily driven a Corvette?

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Has anyone daily driven a C5 Corvette year round? I am very interested in one or something similar for my new car, but it will also be my only car.
    I've met people that have, as well as 4th gen camaro's. NBD, the engine parts/drivetrain are fairly similiar to any other small block of that generation. Buy the best winter tires you can and go from there. Obviously, you'll want to add a block heater! And hopefully you are considering a coupe, I wouldn't do a t-top or convertible.

Without a doubt though, the Vette WILL have problems in deep snow as they are quite low. But for 90% of the year, it should be good to go. Hell, rent a car for a week if it snows a ton!

My Ride
    something green

I saw a couple on a motorbike with a sidecar driving through Rogers pass in January in a blizzard.. I guess its just how big your balls are.
    If you had a second set of rims with a much narrower snow tire on it , it probably wouldnt be all that bad..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I had a co-worker in Edmonton who drove his Lamborghini Gallardo convertible throughout the winter.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

my best friend drives his 97 camaro convertible year round. summer he runs his perellis and in the winter he runs some nokians on steelies. He does just fine, he just drives to the conditions.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

good tires and youll be fine. Given youll destroy that front bumper.

Dont forget the amount of ice buildup on the roads we get from some areas never getting cleaned.. cracks, rock chips.. Not worth it dude.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by spikers
    my best friend drives his 97 camaro convertible year round. summer he runs his perellis and in the winter he runs some nokians on steelies. He does just fine, he just drives to the conditions.
    Corvette is much lower than a Camaro. 2 very different cars also.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Shlade

Corvette is much lower than a Camaro. 2 very different cars also.
    not with his shitty aero kit, i would wager his is just as low, if not lower with it on there.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Well obviously I'm going to have winter tires, all of my vehicles do. What about a Pontiac GTO (Holden Monaro)?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Why not buy some $3000 Civic for winter If you really wanted to you could prob drive the vette on most winter days so long as the snow wasn't deep but I wouldn't.

My Ride
    BOOSTANG,CADDY,Z32

I have a friend that has a white c5 corvette convertiable that he drives year round, Yes that includes winters. you just need some winter tires and call it a day.

BOOSTIN
    I Love me some turbo action

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

ride height isnt too big of a deal, the roads that never get plowed and are rutted out can be an issue... if you dont drive offset to them!

i did a Q45 that was SLAMMED for a winter, got high centred once and that was doing a u-turn on an un-plowed street. would have continued driving it but i took the oil pan out on a mildly raised manhole

i would say make sure you have a standard so you can start off in 2nd and you should be fine.

hell im even thinking of lowering the mustang before winter

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Whatever it is it's going to be manual. Also interested in 350Z.

The fibreglass body panels get very brittle in the winter and crack easily, especially with weight of snow/ice on them. If you park it in a garage as well, the temp fluctuations will make it worse. That's not counting the high probability you will end up in a guard rail or ditch.

This idea should be completely scrapped not only for your safety, but for that of everyone else on the road as well.

After seeing the effect this last winter had on my car with all the salt that was dropped I wouldn't do it, even with the fg body panels. I wash my car minimum once a week (usually twice) and barely drive it during the winter and I still noticed this winters effect. I think traction and clearance are going to be the least of your worries.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Seriously man - don't bother. My C5 wouldn't move even on my driveway even with a little snow. You're going to have to get great winter tires which will be super expensive at that size. And then you have tires entirely too wide to keep from "plowing" the snow. Low clearance. Weak panels in the cold. Too much torque.

As suggested, just buy a 2g beater for the winter - you'll be thankful you did... believe me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast