Quantcast
How much rust do you have on your 3rd gen 4runner - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How much rust do you have on your 3rd gen 4runner

My Ride
    Upass

Default How much rust do you have on your 3rd gen 4runner

I am looking to buy a 3rd gen 4 runner preferable a 99-2002. I've looked at 2 so far and both were completely rusted underneath. Is that the norm? Mind you the two I looked at were from out of province. One was from Ontario (99model came to Alberta in 06). The other one I don't know where it was from. I didn't do a carproof after a basic history report showed that the odometer was rolled back.

Anyways I'll post pics later today to show what one of them looked like. But if you have a 3rd gen 4runner let me know how bad the rust is underneath the truck. Just wanna know what I should be expecting when going to look at these.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

The underside will show rust but if you don't see any perforation I'd consider it pretty normal. On the exterior I thought first thing to go is the bumpers
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    KTM

I have a 2001 Tundra with 180,000 Km with zero rust on the body. There is a tiny bit on the frame but nothing I bad. I did some suspension work and I didnt have to cut anything.

Probably looked a 6 trucks before landing on this one, some had less KM but were not taken care of.

My 4th gen has pretty extensive surface rust on the chassis/frame. Sheet metal, floor, body is clean though. The rust is all from the paint flaking off. Not sure what process was used, but basically any part that was welded, the paint didn't stick to it. But like I said it's all surface, and I doubt it'll rust through any time soon. Quite a few people have this same issue.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Surface rust is the norm on my wifes' '99. But quick work with a wire brush, and it looks fine. There is no perforation at all on any parts, just surface from all the salt used in Alberta for the past 12 years. Looks pretty good.

My Ride
    335i

Some starting to show around the windshield and on the rear wiper arm where it meets the hatch. Otherwise undercarriage is totally fine.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I had a 99.

Undercarriage showed some rust but nothing major.

Few other issues I had with the 4runner...

1. Fuel pump sending unit (common issue)
    2. Rear bumper rusting away (common issue)
    3. Head gasket failed (common issue)

#1 wasn't a big issue just the fuel guage would never be accurate

#2 was simply they didn't protect the back of the bumpers that well and it would corrode fast!

#3 just a bad design on Toyotas part and the 1999 era wasn't so bad for them as the previous gen but they still had the issue.

When the HG failed on my I got rid of the 4runner but otherwise enjoyed it very much and now since I have a shop I would think to own another.

My Ride
    Upass

Thanks for the replies so far, here's a couple pics of the 4runner from ontario.

[
    Last edited by Nav13; 08-23-2011 at 01:18 PM.

My Ride
    Upass

So would you guys have walked away from that one or still have considered it?

Walk

That's pretty minor, I wouldn't walk based just on that as I'd say the majority of daily driven albertan vehicles look like that underneath. Spend an afternoon with a wire brush and a can of undercoat or por15 and you are good as new. Now rust on the body...eff that.

That's not bad. The chassis rusts around any area that was welded. My 2003 is the same way as I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 08-26-2011 at 12:43 AM.

My Ride
    bus

looks like surface rust to me, Ive seen worst 4runners with actual holes in the frames that you can put a tennis ball through

My Ride
    Upass

Damn I already passed on that one. However there was some rust starting on the front and rear bumpers. I know that's common on 4runners, but this one had body colored painted bumpers . I figured since they were painted it would be more resistant to rusting, which should have been the case. I guess it was rusting from the inside out.

Anyways it's a shame, it looked really good with the body colored bumpers. Oh well, now I know what to expect when looking at other ones.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Nav13
    Damn I already passed on that one. However there was some rust starting on the front and rear bumpers. I know that's common on 4runners, but this one had body colored painted bumpers . I figured since they were painted it would be more resistant to rusting, which should have been the case. I guess it was rusting from the inside out.

Anyways it's a shame, it looked really good with the body colored bumpers. Oh well, now I know what to expect when looking at other ones.
    The backs of the bumpers never got treated properly. If you crawled underneat you'd see they were raw steel.

If the bumper didn't have any rust you could pull it off and prep the back and prevent it but most 4runners of this year out there already have rust.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Originally posted by firebane
    I had a 99.

Undercarriage showed some rust but nothing major.

Few other issues I had with the 4runner...

1. Fuel pump sending unit (common issue)
    2. Rear bumper rusting away (common issue)
    3. Head gasket failed (common issue)

#1 wasn't a big issue just the fuel guage would never be accurate

#2 was simply they didn't protect the back of the bumpers that well and it would corrode fast!

#3 just a bad design on Toyotas part and the 1999 era wasn't so bad for them as the previous gen but they still had the issue.

When the HG failed on my I got rid of the 4runner but otherwise enjoyed it very much and now since I have a shop I would think to own another.
    The headgasket issues were from 96-98 5VZ-FE 4Runners. 99-02 4Runner's did not have headgasket issues (That I have seen). Even then, I haven't seen any 3rd gen Runner' come in for headgasket at all.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by CelicaST-162

The headgasket issues were from 96-98 5VZ-FE 4Runners. 99-02 4Runner's did not have headgasket issues (That I have seen). Even then, I haven't seen any 3rd gen Runner' come in for headgasket at all.
    I had a 99 SR5 and the head gasket failed in it like all others. And I had looked up the history on the vehicle and the head gasket had been done once before.

My Ride
    1998 5VZ-FE

I had a 99 sr5 and there was some minor surface rust forming but the back bumper had a small dot on it. The biggest area of rust was right under the drivers door it was about a size of a toonie. The headgasket problem didn't ever happen to mine. And this vehicle was brought from quebec in 2005. And the rusting shown in that picture is nothing as stated above

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Most 3rd gens have that driveline and frame rust, just the same I would not touch any 2+ year old vehicle from ontario.