Quantcast
Distracted driving accident stories? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Distracted driving accident stories?

Default Distracted driving accident stories?

Anyone ever been involved in an accident where someone driving while distracted was actually a factor? I've had a some dumb near misses with texters etc, but nothing more serious.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I ran a red light going 80 km/h while texting a few years ago. Somehow I near missed getting sandwiched from both sides.

Was that ever a wake up call. I still have dreams of clipping one of the cars.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Lots and lots and lots of near misses, everyone of them involving the other driver on their phone (whether talking, texting, or looking up god knows what on the internet).

Just yesterday as I was leaving work a dumptruck with a dump-trailer blew a stop sign by 10' and almost clipped me. He was starring at his phone the whole time I could see him.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    05 Civic

My Uncle knew someone's son who died in an accident due to texting.

From what he told me, he was on an on ramp texting when he dropped his phone, when he tried to retrieve it and in the process veered off the on ramp. Not too sure if he hit something on the way, but it was a wake up call for me nonetheless.

Your life is always more important than that phone call or text IMO.

Good to know that they are coming out with those distracted driving laws in a couple months here.
    Last edited by -relk-; 08-22-2011 at 01:04 PM.

No accident yet but a near miss about a week ago. Some loser was texting while driving and almost sideswiped me (I nearly put my car into the ditch trying to avoid him), I slowed down and let him go on his merry way, he almost sidewiped the car in front of me and nearly clipped the curb twice on John Laurie. It was about 2 am on a Saturday morning so alcohol could have been a factor so the gf called it in to the police.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by -relk-
    Your life is never as important as that phone call or text IMO.
    I always thought it was the other way around!

My Ride
    05 Honda 954RR, 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Originally posted by -relk-
    Your life is never as important as that phone call or text IMO.
    Bad sarcasm or miswritten?
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by reborn_euro

Bad sarcasm or miswritten?
    Miswritten!

Fixed it

My Ride
    Golf ... cart

Wasn't a texting driver - much worse. This lady had a BOOK on her steering wheel. Around lunch time before the Memorial DR. ramp on Crowchild SB. Almost sideswiped me and a car behind me...

2011 Golf wagon TDI, 6spd, H&R sport springs, aFe intake, Malone Tune Stg 1.5, panoramic sunroof

My Ride
    TDI

Almost every time I nearly get run over on my bicycle someone is staring or talking on their phone. I've learned not to pass in front of a car unless direct eye contact is made first. There have been so many times it looked like they were slowing down but then just keep on driving.

Reposting my story:

Last summer, I see this SUV driving erratically and sure enough, it's a young girl driving and texting. I followed her for a good 10km and she was still texting the whole way.
    Then eventually, I passed her and went on my own merry way and totally forgot about her.

Then all of a sudden, this fucking SUV totally didn't shoulder check and came right into me making me swerve into another fucking lane.... and guess who that was?

Many of these distracted drivers get away with their dumb shit because a lot of attentive drivers take notice of their erratic driving behavior. Same as how old people get away with their crappy driving skills.

Originally posted by megavolt
    Almost every time I nearly get run over on my bicycle someone is staring or talking on their phone. I've learned not to pass in front of a car unless direct eye contact is made first. There have been so many times it looked like they were slowing down but then just keep on driving.
    Haha, thats what I do with bikers, I make eye contact before I even think of turning now. Most of the time I have no idea of the intentions of the biker, so I rather just let him illegally ride through a cross walk then take the chance to turn in front of him just to "send a message"

My Ride
    1996 del sol

i think it should be all drivers this rule effects there shouldn t be exceptions its my understanding certian people are excempt from this rule thats

My Ride
    Axis powers

been involved in 3 because of distracted drivers

first one on macleod, the guy behind me just wasn't paying attention and rear ended me at a red light, too busy playing footsies with his gay bf

second one on macleod, guy behind me wasn't paying attention and wrote off my car as i turned into a parking lot, i got 6 months of chiro, acupuncture, deep tissue massage and a jaw splint from that one

third one guy wasn't paying attention backing out of a parking spot and destroyed the side of my car
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Ya......every single day......multiple times a day.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Got this in an email from work:

Good Afternoon,

The Calgary Loss Prevention Team would like to make you aware of the new Distracted Driving Law taking effect in Alberta on September 1st 2011. Please see the information below to make sure you understand the new rules so that you can avoid paying the $172 fine.

Bill 16 - Distracted Driving Legislation
    Distracted Driving Law in Effect September 1, 2011
    Highlights:
    • Restricts drivers from:
    o using hand-held cell phones
    o texting or e-mailing
    o using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
    o entering information on GPS units
    o reading printed materials in the vehicle
    o writing, printing or sketching, and
    o personal grooming
    • Complements the current driving without due care and attention legislation
    • Applies to all vehicles as defined by the Traffic Safety Act, including bicycles
    • Applies to all roads in both urban and rural areas of the province
    • The fine for this new offence is $172

The most frequently asked question regarding the new law is whether pets are specifically addressed by the law. Here's the answer! In situations where the driver becomes too involved with their pet, police could reasonably argue that the distraction is comparable to the specifically banned activities of reading, writing and grooming and lay a charge.

Also, existing legislation - Traffic Safety Act 115(2)(i) - allows police to charge a driver who permits anything, including a pet, to occupy the front seat of the vehicle such that it interferes with the driver's access to the vehicle controls and the safe operation of the vehicle. Further, Traffic Safety Act 115(2)(j) - allows police to charge a driver who permits anything, including a pet, to cause any obstruction to the driver's clear vision in any direction. We encourage the continued use of these existing provisions.

If a driver violates a new distracted driving provision and an existing provision in the Traffic Safety Act it would be up to the discretion of the officer as to if one or both charges would apply.
    For the safety of both pets and road users, it is best if pets are secured in an appropriate pet carrier.
    Ref: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...teddriving.htm

Thank you,

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

A couple of years ago on Crowchild I'm sitting at a red light minding my own business when BANG, some kid in a Cavalier runs into me. He was texting and admitted it right away. He learned the hard way though. The hitch on my truck met his hood about 1/3 of the way up and totally collapsed the front end of his car, write off. He scratched the paint on my hitch receiver.

Pay attention when you're driving a pop can son!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

Originally posted by slick2404
    Got this in an email from work:

jw.. isnt eating supposed to be in there too?

or did they forget about that
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!