Quantcast
Driving to california! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Driving to california!

Default Driving to california!

Hey guys. So a couple friends and myself are driving down to Cali for 10 days. Most driving will probably be done over night/early morning so hotels and what not are not important.

Just wondering if anyone has anything that they think we should be stopping at for sure? We will hopefully be doing a bunch of kiteboarding and other water sports if that helps.

Also will the satellite radio installed in my vehicle work in the states?

TIA.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Eclipse

Which way will you be driving to cali? I-15? I-5?

if I-15 you obviously need to stop in vegas

And yes Sat radio will work in your car
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Where in Cali are you going? I've done the Calgary to San Fran drive a bunch of times, it's around 22 hours.

It's a decent drive, I didn't mind it... not a whole lot to see until you get close to Reno.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

In for info. I'm planning on doing the drive to Huntington Beach in the next few months.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by projekz
    In for info. I'm planning on doing the drive to Huntington Beach in the next few months.
    Some stupid ass kid ruined that beach at the moment. Huntington Beach was well known for one of the view beaches that allowed bonfires...until a kid flying a kit fell into one.

Was looking at doing a one way drive from LA to Calgary. Does anyone know if it is possible/feasible to pick up a rental from down in the states and do a drop off in Canada? Having little luck searching online.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Anything is possible for the right amount of money. I would imagine picking up a rental in US and dropping it off in Canada wouldn't be cheap.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

One thing as advice: When you're coming back make sure to come into Albeta and not BC when crossing the border if you plan to bring back any booze. BC charges a shitload more if you are even the slightest bit over the exemption (150% of the cost of the liquor)

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by Zephyr

Some stupid ass kid ruined that beach at the moment. Huntington Beach was well known for one of the view beaches that allowed bonfires...until a kid flying a kit fell into one.
    When did that happen? We were just there last Saturday and were going to meet some friends for a bonfire, but didn't make it down.

We also went to the street market on Tuesday (or maybe Wednesday) night which was fun.

My Ride
    08 RS4

I just got from a drive down to Cali and back. Hit up Seattle and Portland before hitting the coast. From there took the 101 to the 1. Came back via the Vegas and the I15.

An amazing drive. I would recommend if you plan on driving along the coast do it from the north down to the south.

Some places I really enjoyed were Santa Cruz/Capitalo, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey and Carmel.

Be sure to drive the Avenue of Giants, Big Sur and 17 mile drive is cool to do just to say you've done it.

^ This.

Did this route - mine was bit different as I started from south up to north into BC. Quite long time to drive but well worth seeing lot of cool sights and the ocean at my left. I begin my route in Red Bluff, California taking the #36 highway west to hwy #101 then up north all the way thru Oregon and Washington until I turn to hwy#8 east to Seattle then head home on I-5.

The giant redwoods on #101 (Redwood National park) was fantastic. Be careful driving among the redwood giants, they can be tricky at curves on road!