Quantcast
Hamilton: Maldonado risked big crash Sat, 27 Aug 15:00:12 2011 Email Print Lewis H - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hamilton: Maldonado risked big crash Sat, 27 Aug 15:00:12 2011 Email Print Lewis H

Default Hamilton: Maldonado risked big crash Sat, 27 Aug 15:00:12 2011 Email Print Lewis H

Hamilton: Maldonado risked big crash

Sat, 27 Aug 15:00:12 2011

Email
    Print
    Lewis Hamilton reckons it was only good fortune that prevented his clash with Pastor Maldonado in Belgian Grand Prix from being a major accident.
    The McLaren and Williams had made contact at the Bus Stop chicane as Hamilton pushed to complete his final flying lap of Q2 in ever-improving conditions. Maldonado then appeared to retaliate between La Source and Eau Rouge as the two cars returned to the pits.
    "I think it was quite serious and just fortunate that neither of us, particularly him, was flipped into a big crash," sad Hamilton.
    The Briton said his car was carrying damage in Q3 as a consequence, although he still qualified second.
    "I have to look at it afterwards," said Hamilton. "At the end of Q2, I got to the end of the lap, the Williams was sitting there going very slow, and I had to try and get past.
    "Then I lost quite a lot of time and as I was coming down the exit of Turn 1 I saw Maldonado approaching quite quickly.
    "He came around me, I didn't move anywhere, and he tried to swipe across me. I don't know if it was intentional."
    McLaren was able to carry out rapid repairs to get Hamilton out for Q3, where he took second on the grid. But the Briton said the car was still bearing the scars of the incident during his pole bid.
    "The front wing was quite badly damaged, the sidepod and I think front suspension was damaged, front toe-in was a little bit out," he said.
    "I think once the flag is out and the red lights are on there is no need to be racing - there should never ever be an incident."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Be curious what the stewards think. They've asked both teams for telemetry at this point. From the replays it looks like Hamilton moved over first then moved back (no contact) then Maldonado moved over to the edge of the track and just took Lewis out. Pretty funny to see Lewis fight for pole in Q3 afterwards with black duct tape holding the sidepod together haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Maldonado insists it wasn't deliberate
    Saturday 27th August 2011

Maldonado insists it wasn't deliberate
    Pastor Maldonado has denied that he deliberately crashed into Lewis Hamilton after Q2 on Saturday in Belgium.

The duo fought over track positions in the final minutes of Q2 as drivers were desperate to get in another lap with Hamilton overtaking the Williams driver.

However, it was later on their in-laps that drama unfolded when Maldonado turned in on Hamilton, side-swiping the Brit and damaging his McLaren.

Hamilton told his team it was "done deliberately", however, Maldonado insists that wasn't the case.

"It was a difficult moment, there was no reason from my side to have contact and from the side of Lewis," he told the BBC.

"It wasn't rainy conditions and we need to understand what happened. There was no need for contact after the chequered flag."

Pressed as to whether his coming together with Hamilton was deliberate, he said: "No, no, I don't."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Official: 5 places for Maldonado, reprimand for Lewis.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

James Allen's view before the decision:

There was a curious incident between Hamilton and Maldonado, after the Briton pushed past the Venezuelan at the end of the fastest lap. Maldonado was eliminated. As they came out of La Source, Maldonado came alongside and went into him, damaging Hamilton’s wing. Close inspection of the replays shows Hamilton making two separate moves to the right, giving the stewards a difficult decision. Hamilton’s car was still being repaired when Q3 started.
    The 2 moves is probably what got Hamilton the reprimand.

Maldonado thought it was Nascar.

^^ rubbin is racin