Quantcast
TV Speaker Dilemma - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: TV Speaker Dilemma

My Ride
    BMW X5

Default TV Speaker Dilemma

I've been trying to come up with a solution but can't really think of one and the guys at Bestbuy, etc aren't the best help.

There is probably a really simple solution or a technology that I don't know about that you guys might be able to suggest.

I have a TV that is a year and half old but the sound went on it. Low sounds have a rattle. Since it's a nice TV (47" LG, etc etc) I don't really want to replace it but would just like to get some speakers for it. I've never been a fan of home theatre systems so don't know much about this.

The TV has an optical out for sound so it limits some options.

I was looking at soundbars but they're fairly large and don't fit in my in-built wall units.

Are there systems with two smaller speakers (besides Bose as it's $700)? I also don't want to get a home theatre package so it doesn't clutter the room.

Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

I'd suggest a decent quality 2.0 or 2.1 computer/multimedia set if your tv is doing the switching.

Logitech, Klipsch, Altec Lansing, Creative, etc.

I'd recommend a pair of Audioengine A5's, if they fit.

They are small, self powered (so, no receiver/amp necessary to add clutter to your setup), and will sound FAR better than your TV speakers ever did. They are a very highly regarded/reviewed speaker.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5

$350

As a bonus you can hook them up to your computer, ipod, etc. if you need some music for a party or something (there's a USB input on the top). They are outstanding little speakers with just the right amount of connectivity.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

got a 5.1 Panasonic surround system with optical in. Can just use a few speakers of it and it would work exactly as you need. Like new shape, just have no use for it in my house. Comes with 5 speakers, receiver and a sub. $60 bucks takes it, cheap solution to your problem

My Ride
    BMW X5

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Mitsu, there are a couple resellers in town so might have to check those speakers out in person.

Eblend: that might work but wouldn't some sound be lost if say I only used two speakers? (I guess you can set that on the receiver) How big are the speakers?

Thanks.

My Ride
    2004 Mini Cooper

most receivers have an option to turn on/off surround sound / DTS so you would not hear the difference, but if you have it why not use the surround?

Pick up some in-wall speakers from monoprice.com and your good to go.

Originally posted by Anton
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! Mitsu, there are a couple resellers in town so might have to check those speakers out in person.
    Thanks.
    We've got a pair here in the office, and they are excellent. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how good they sound for the price/size.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Anton

Eblend: that might work but wouldn't some sound be lost if say I only used two speakers? (I guess you can set that on the receiver) How big are the speakers?

Thanks.
    I can take a pic once I get home. I think you can adjust it to be set to stereo only, therefore using just the two speakers.

I can take a pic of the whole thing if interested.

My Ride
    W204

Just about ANY powered computer speaker will work. I am willing to bet your TV also has a line out with level likely controlled by the TV itself. Look for them as a pair of white/red RCA jacks in the back.

The Audioengines will work but you'll likely need speaker stands for them unless you have somewhere to put them. You can also go for their smaller brother, the A2.

The M-Audio AV-30 Studiophiles are quite a bit cheaper but their port is on the back, so you can't back them directly against a wall.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...p_Monitors.htm

And it's bigger brother the AV-40:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...p_Monitors.htm
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!