Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: NOtaBLE

Default Review: NOtaBLE

NOtaBLE
    http://www.notablerestaurantworks.ca/
    4611 Bowness Road NW
    Ph: 403-288-4372
    Reservations Recommended

NOtaBLE is a highly anticipated new restaurant created by Chef Michael Noble. While the location is rather obscure in the main level of a new condo complex, it is definitely a fantastic place to check out. It is a great addition to fine dining in the NW quadrant of the city. Chef Noble has an impressive resume: http://www.chefdb.com/nm/1734/ and has also competed on Iron Chef America against Chef Morimoto.

Ambience and Atmosphere 10/10

Three of us arrived at the restaurant 10 minutes late for our 8pm reservation. The hostess greeted us warmly and ushered us to our table using the name that we had reserved under. The restaurant is organized into 3 sections. First is a bar area on your right when you walk in the door, second is a chefs table to the left of the open concept kitchen and the third is the dining room. The decor is warm brown and white tones while the kitchen open concept with shining stainless steel and white decor.

The feel to the restaurant is rather casual. There were people in shorts and t-shirts and others in slacks and blazers. The acoustics in the restaurant were quite remarkable. The entire place was packed, yet we could still hear what each other was saying without having to raise our voices. With the open concept restaurants, I have noticed this isn’t easily attainable.

Food: 9/10

We all decided to order different things for the starters and dinner and sample each thing. The server suggested absolutely anything from their rotisserie, while highly recommending the prime rib that night.

For starters we ordered:

Lobster Salad “ Mini Buns,” Chili Garlic Butter; Potato Chips: The half order of this contained 3 mini buns. It was a lobster salad on toasted bread. The flavours were quite simple yet had a note of elegance to them. The potato chips were house made with sea salt.

Tombo tuna tartare, local vegetable “ratatouille:” The tuna by itself was flavoured perfectly. The ratatouille was sweet and when you combined it with the tuna, it made for an entirely different taste to the dish.

Dungeness Crab and shrimp bake, wilted spinach, aged cheddar and toasts: This was full of robust flavour with the aged cheddar and the spinach as the star of the dish. We found that the amount of toasts that came with it weren’t sufficient, but we ended up using the rest of the chips from the other dish to finish it off. Both went equally well with the dish.

I would have given the starters a 10/10 except for the fact that I found the presentation to be a little disappointing. I suppose I had higher expectations for it.

For the main courses:

Prime Rib, 28 day aged: I always order prime rib as an end cut. I find that while it is more of medium well temperature, the flavour is just a little bit better. This is hands down one of the best prime ribs I have had in a long time. For the fact that it was an end cut, it was tender, moist and perfectly done. It was accompanied by fresh grated horseradish, vegetable of the day (green beans, carrots) and mashed potatoes. I could not finish the dish, so the guys both ended up finishing it for me and both were overly impressed.

Wild BC Halibut, Panang Curry Sauce: The portion on the Halibut was perfect at about 6oz, the sauce had a mild kick to it and it certainly made the dish. It wasn’t a typical curry, it was more of a marinade on the halibut. This made it lighter and much more decadent than I had expected when it came out. The vegetable were the same as the Prime Rib, but it also had baked fingerling potatoes instead of mashed. They were perfectly well done.

Galloway natural beef Flatiron steak: While this certainly isn’t the best cut of meat on the menu, it exceeded expectations. It was cooked medium rare and held its flavour very well. I was impressed at the fact that they didn’t over or under season the meat. It almost melted in your mouth. If this is an indication of the quality of their other cuts of beef, I will have to go on the record and say that it will challenge the bistecca at Mercato.

The three of us decided to split their flourless chocolate cake for dessert and we were all impressed. One of the guys described it as “an orgasm on your tongue.” I do believe that says it all

Service: 10/10

I have been reading that for the last few weeks the service at the restaurant has been lacking. Which seems fair considering it’s brand spanking new and kinks generally need a little time to be worked out. However, we did not find it lacking at all. Our server was prompt, friendly, answered every question and even had a few suggestions. He was more than accommodating with anything we had asked for. It’s also worth noting that Chef Noble did come out of the kitchen and made the rounds with each of the tables when he had a few moments. I always think it’s nice to see a chef take the time to make sure everyone is enjoying their food.

Pricing:

3 starters, 3 main courses, 1 dessert, 2 virgin Caesars, 4 glasses of wine and 3 beers came to just under $200.

Overall: 10/10

I strongly recommend NOtaBLE to anyone who wants to get out of the house for dinner. Be it a special occasion or just dinner out. I can say without hesitation that this is now one of our top 5 go-to places for dinner.

Dannie

How big is it inside? Room for large parties?

interesting I have reservations for this evening all based on Fridays is a prime rib night!

Ohh I can't wait!

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    How big is it inside? Room for large parties?
    Depends what your idea of large is. There was a party of 12 seated near us, a couple booths that hold 5-6 people. The bar area looks like you could push the tables together and get about 15 people in there.

Originally posted by Kritafo
    interesting I have reservations for this evening all based on Fridays is a prime rib night!

Ohh I can't wait!
    Feel free to add to my posts here! Let me know what you think. I was really happy with the prime rib

We are a party of 4 and by the sounds of it...all of us want prime rib,... so that part stinks, nobody is willing to trying anything else for the moment.

Ohh I can't wait to go!

Some of my colleagues have gone here and come back with rave reviews. I definitely have to try this!

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

The brunch they serve here is pretty fantastic. Eggs benedict is superb.

We had a good dinner here as well.

Good to know about the eggs benedict! It's always good to hear about places that do brunch on there weekend.

Had dinner at NOtaBLE last friday with the wife.

We started off with the Seared East Coast scallops, grilled romaine hearts, bacon & caper dressing, the wife had the Saltspring Island mussels & “frites”, Thai red curry broth, cilantro and I had the NOtaBLE aromatic-rubbed free range
    “half” chicken with vegetables instead of fries. The portions were large and the food was fantastic. Neither of us had room for dessert after that. We both thought the value was exceptional when compared to say Joey's/Earls/Cactus Club etc. Definitely planning on going back to try the other stuff of the menu.
    heloc that shit

The half chicken was good. And their lunch stuff is quite good too. Maybe a little pricey for lunch, but none the less, it is still good food.

Things to avoid, the pasta. I forget the dish but my gf and her friend both got the same pasta dish and they got 7 pieces of pasta. I quickly did the math and it was just over $2/piece of pasta, haha. Not worth it.

Also the big slab of pork was not too appatizing and the guy who got it was disappointed and thought it was too fatty. Could have been a bad luck thing too.

Parking can be a challenge at peak times but overall its a good place and a change of pace from the typical Joey's/Earls.

The head chef is the owner so I'm sure anything not to your satisfaction, he will do his best to circumvent the situation and make your experience enjoyable.

I will definitely go back.

My Ride
    BMW X5

I've been here a couple of times but didn't think that the benedict was very good. The biscuit/bread that they used fell apart very easily and just didn't have a good flavour/consistency to it. I've only had it once though so maybe it was just on an 'off' day.

Dinner there is always great. The Phil & Sebastian creme brule that they had and will be bringing back for the fall is unreal.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Been there a few times now, I like it.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Went last night, had shrimp crab bake to start, I had prime rib (which is HUGE) and husband had the swordfish. He had the chocolate brownie and ice cream and I had chocolate hazelnut creme brulee for dessert. All food was excellent, I have however had better creme brulee. He had two premium drinks and I had two glasses of wine, bill was 129.00.

Also do not be afraid to sit at the counter near the wood grill, it was warm but really cool to watch the kitchen work and all the food being prepared and grilled.

Will be back again, several things on the menu that I had a hard time deciding between. I would recommend a reservation-they were busy all night long.

[url]

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Was there on Wednesday. Nice atmosphere and it was rather busy. Our food took a little longer but was great. I had the grilled salmon on risotto which was very good. Had a piece of my friend's lamb which was tasty. The various desserts were great. All the girls were making ecstatic noises.

Will go again. A little pricy but better than some other places we have been to.

Originally posted by lint
    the wife had the Saltspring Island mussels & “frites”, Thai red curry broth, cilantro .
    My wife and I shared that to start, it was really good, I could have drank the broth straight up.

I had a lamb burger which I think happened to be a special that day, and it was awesome as well. I've only been once but it was outstanding in my opinion, and from a price standpoint, more than reasonable for the quality and quantity of food provided.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Exploded.

How big are the portions? Would you say they're fair for the price or it's sampler-sized with a main-course price tag?

Sorry, I don't understand the concept of high-priced, small-portioned meals.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Well the prime rib was huge.... I can only describe it as a slab of meat (albeit a very tasty one!). My husband had the swordfish and did not complain about the portions and he can eat a lot. All the other meals I saw around me looked fine for size/price.

We sat at the bar by the kitchen so saw all the meat being cooked and a lot of meals go out. Steaks also all looked a good size.

The menu does have some meals that can be ordered as a starter size or a meal size. Perhaps the appetizers were more expensive here but I think the size was the same as any other restaurant.

[url]

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Only the OP mentioned the service... hrm.

I've been there several times now, and everytime the service was fucking horrendous. It seems like I keep getting stuck with wait staff that hates their jobs or something.

Food and prices are great tho, it just sucks that service blows so bad.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by rage2
    Only the OP mentioned the service... hrm.

I've been there several times now, and everytime the service was fucking horrendous. It seems like I keep getting stuck with wait staff that hates their jobs or something.

Food and prices are great tho, it just sucks that service blows so bad.
    Yeah I was kind of disappointed with that too. I also think considering the reputation of the place, the servers all look really cheesy with their t-shirts.

I was kinda choked going there one night at 8:00 on a Friday and being told that the Prime Rib had run out. My friend and I were really hoping to get the Prime Rib. He asked for the chicken as a second choice and was told 5 minutes later that they were out of that as well.

Did anyone else find the restaurant blazing hot? I was sweating at the table :p

yes the restaurant is blazing hot and I just read they are correcting that, it was an issue with the new building.

ahh Servers come and go, that is the problem with most restaurants. Some are outstanding, some suck. I find most people in most jobs have the don't give a crap attitude these days.

Straight from the FB page.

"We have some great news!!
    We realize that over the course of the last year the temperature in the restaurant has often been too warm for comfort due to a variety of issues with both restaurant and base building systems. A solution to the problem is finally on it's way! Chef has ordered an additional fan coil unit to bring more cool air to all of you and we are hoping to have it installed by the end of August. Yay for finally being able to have both a warm fire and a temperate dining room!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast