Thread: Review: Famoso Neapolitan Pizzaria

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Default Review: Famoso Neapolitan Pizzaria

Famoso Neapolitan Pizzaria

2303 4 Street Southwest, Calgary, AB T2S 2S7
    (403) 455-3839

http://maps.google.ca/maps/placeq=fa...25540387440754

So i went over to my sisters before going to the bar last week and her friend had bought over a pizza from famoso for them to eat. I had a piece and loved. So i work on 4th, and she lives on 2nd and we wanted to have dinner last night, she suggested famoso so i could try it for real this time.

Ambience: 8/10

It's nothing fancy, honestly sort of like a cafeteria haha. But it's cute, fits the bill if you wanna take a girl somewhere different/interesting, or if you wanna have a quick dinner with your sister like me haha

Service: 7/10

Now it only got a 7 because you have to go up to the front to order! Then they bring you everything and take care of you after that. The girls were polite, prompt and gave you enough time between app's/main to eat, and didn't rush you out with the bill at the end even though there were some people waiting.

Food: 9/10

Small menu, but it was soo good. We shared a large Napoli Salad to start. Ordered a bottle of Malbec, because it was wine wednesdays there was wine tasting and 2 free dips with any bottle of wine ordered so we got bruschetta for our dips. The Dip's and salad were delicious! We didn't finish the salad, it was a very good size for 2, and my sister didn't finish her dip(but i did haha) so the poritons were good here.

For pizza we ordered a Conforto to share. Once again, verrry good, everything seemed fresh, the meat was tastey and the crust seemed just right. The past week my sisters friend had brought over a Vesuvio and i loved it but it was a little too spicy for me (i'm a bitch for spicy food) but i think i'd try it again anyways because it was good.

Pricing: 9/10

I thought it was a fair price at $65 incl tip? Maybe some would think other wise, but i was content and not hungry till later that night after the gym, and i'm a big guy/eater..

Overall: 9/10

I'd suggest it to anyone looking for a nice pizza place to take a date. It's different and the foods good, that's why it stood out to me. So I'll definitely be back for more!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I, like you, want to have a quick dinner with your sister so thank you for the advice.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I, like you, want to have a quick dinner with your sister so thank you for the advice.
    it says "your" not "my" jackass hahaha

My Ride
    M3P

Drive by this place everyday on my way home from work, Always wonder if it's any good

I've been a few times. The pizza is good IMO, but I can't say I'm a fan of this recent pseudo-Nepolitan craze. I mean it's a good style, but why do we need 5 restaurants jumping on this bandwagon when we could instead have them diversifying the YYC pizza scene, and offering top-notch pies from other genres like NYC, real deep dish, Chicago-style thin crust, etc. etc. etc. But then again, that would require some sort of love for the art of pizza making. These pseudo-Neopolitan shops, on the other hand, are out to make a quick buck off the current hot trend. I understand some people like making money, but supporting the trend makes me feel like a marketing victim.

I would be surprised to see any of these new pseudo-Neopolitan shops open in 5-10 years. this is a passing fad, and will soon go the way of tapas and sliders.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 09-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

I prefer this place to Pulcinella's any day

Yes Pulcinella's is more authentic for you Itie's but I hate canned mushrooms, crappy service and snooty clientele, so Famoso's is the only neopolitan place for me
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I only find it ok last time I was there. Nothing really stands out about it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I think it's great but their prices don't justify it.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by 1barA4
    I prefer this place to Pulcinella's any day

Yes Pulcinella's is more authentic for you Itie's but I hate canned mushrooms, crappy service and snooty clientele, so Famoso's is the only neopolitan place for me
    that was the major let down for me as well, they used to use good fresh ingredients, now they're using off the shelf junk. I am going to give Without Papers a try to compare.

On Famosos I don't prefer how you have to pay/order as we would have to keep going back to order more

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by shadowz

On Famosos I don't prefer how you have to pay/order as we would have to keep going back to order more
    I found that weird too. Especially when the server recommends something and it sounds good:

"Great! Just order it over there" WTF.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by flipstah

I found that weird too. Especially when the server recommends something and it sounds good:

Ya it was quite frustrating especially when we were sitting in the basement

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by flipstah

That's....odd

Anything else I've ordered beyond the first order which has to be made at the front, the servers I've had didn't have a problem putting it in for me.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by 1barA4

That's....odd

Anything else I've ordered beyond the first order which has to be made at the front, the servers I've had didn't have a problem putting it in for me.
    Odd indeed... Perhaps it was a busy day for moi as my server was all over the place.

Either that, or you look like Brad Pitt. DAMN YOU!
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Guillermo
    I mean it's a good style, but why do we need 5 restaurants jumping on this bandwagon when we could instead have them diversifying the YYC pizza scene, and offering top-notch pies from other genres like NYC, real deep dish, Chicago-style thin crust, etc. etc. etc.
    Because people hear pizza and think only the good stuff is from Italy. And then they go there and are disappointed it's nothing like they have at home because it's not loaded with toppings. I can't eat normal pizza here now. It's massive but mainly disgustingly greasy and the ingredients don't taste nearly as fresh. Maybe it had to do with Italian tomatoes. That or I think I'm cultured

The best pizza I had in all of Italy was at a small bar in Ostia, south of Rome. Tomatoes, chicken, rosemary and spinach. Fuck it was good.
    Ultracrepidarian

I thought this place was awesome. Not as good as Italy, but I enjoyed it.

We had to go to the counter and order for ourselves, too. Super weird - that part I didn't like.

My Ride

Honestly it was the only thing that bothered me!

This place was really good the first few times I went when it first opened. I returned a couple weeks ago and it didn't taste as good anymore. I prefer Una over Famosos.

I still can't believe they allow a restaurant to be called WoP. But I didn't really like the Margarita at Famoso pizza, the sauce just doesn't do it for me. Every other part of the pizza was good, but the crust was a little too soft for me, it didn't really hold up well.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by [Yu]
    I still can't believe they allow a restaurant to be called WoP. But I didn't really like the Margarita at Famoso pizza, the sauce just doesn't do it for me. Every other part of the pizza was good, but the crust was a little too soft for me, it didn't really hold up well.
    A customer that sat beside us had the same complaint as well and their rationale was that the pizza was a 'saucy' kind and you shouldn't expect a crispy crust.

Ours was great!
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

My wife used to work here (for about six months) in the McKenzie Towne location.

I wouldn't eat there again if you paid me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast