Quantcast
Best Front-wheel Drive Sports Cars for Cdn Winter? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Front-wheel Drive Sports Cars for Cdn Winter?

Default Best Front-wheel Drive Sports Cars for Cdn Winter?

Hoping Beyond experts can help me out.. I'm looking for a new car; I want a 2-door sports car that's front wheel drive, so I can get through winter in YYC.
    I currently drive an 03 Hyundai Tiburon and it's great. Sadly Hyundai's new sports coupe, the Genesis is RWD, or I'd get that. Looking to spend under 40k.
    Thoughts? Advice? Expertise?
    many thanks...
    Last edited by TVChick; 09-05-2011 at 11:54 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Just a question, why no RWD or AWD?

My Ride
    Trucks

Regardless of cost, FWD is the worst choice for winter driving, period. RWD with winter tires / weight over rear wheels or AWD are much, much safer.

Well.. this may be where I need the help.. I've always been told RWD is bad in the snow... I'm open to AWD too.. I just don't know any sports cars that have it. Educate me!

thanks!!!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

How about a new WRX? Under $40000, AWD, 265HP Turbo.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Regardless of cost, FWD is the worst choice for winter driving, period. RWD with winter tires / weight over rear wheels or AWD are much, much safer.
    Most drivers will agree with you but the majority of the public that just relocate themselves through the use of vehicle MUCH prefer understeer to oversteer.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    GTI

Fwd sucks.
    Wrong forum...
    Genesis has bad build quality from what I've read, poor reliability so don't go that route regardless of fwd/rwd debate.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yeah, that's pretty much it OP.... RWD can be tricky because oversteer can be a bitch. But if you can handle that ok (if not, go into an empty mall parking lot and practice) then it should be fine. Tires are by far your biggest help. Driving style, and understanding the limitations of the car are pretty essential.

I would probably not get a turbo car unless you're fine with driving completely conservative. Once the turbo spools up, it changes the power dramatically and can cause the tires to break loose if you aren't careful.

But overall, I would not be concerned about RWD. In fact, I prefer it. Keep in mind that in the 70's and earlier, *every* car was RWD... and people got around just fine.

Now, with all this said, obviously AWD would be your best choice entirely. You really should state the kind of price range you're looking for - since that is pretty important to what people might suggest. In the 20k range, I would suggest an S4 or STI. In the 10k range maybe a TT or WRX. 5-6k range maybe a Stealth or Talon.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    How about a new WRX? Under $40000, AWD, 265HP Turbo.

I have been looking into them and for the money, they are a great car.

Well, if the consensus is RWD handles just fine on wintry YYC streets (would love more feedback pls..I've never driven a RWD), then I can learn how to operate one well too. And that opens up a whole new world of sportscar possibilities.. Nissan 370Z...?

having driven my RX7 for a couple winters (with studded winters) you will notice that your total traction is lower, due to RWD cars are neutrally balanced compared to FWD that have a heavy bias to the front.

as for predictability and control RWD is far greater for winter. I'd opt for manual transmission, it easier to feel and manipulate the rear tires especially on very low traction surfaces as opposed to automatic that would just break the tires loose once the rpm engages the toque converter.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

What? Did the consensus suddenly change from FWD -> RWD being better in winter????

Mind you, I haven't driven a RWD car - I just swear the RWD champions used to be in the minority, now everyone seems to be pushing for RWD.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
    What? Did the consensus suddenly change from FWD -> RWD being better in winter????

Mind you, I haven't driven a RWD car - I just swear the RWD champions used to be in the minority, now everyone seems to be pushing for RWD.
    welcome to beyond

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It all depends on the driver. Myself, and many on here, could probably fare better with a RWD because we know how to drive them. If you can predict and control rear end slide, it can actually be easier. With a FWD you don't get that slide and possible total spin-out, but you get front-end plow... which is almost impossible to control for *any* driver.

OP: You are new to RWD driving, so I would be careful about getting one. And if you do, make sure you practice like I said before - since it handles entirely differently on ice/snow. But like driving a standard, once you get the hang of it, it generally provides you with more control.

One more thing people have not mentioned is getting stuck in snow banks. I've found FWD can get you out of such situations easier, since RWD tends to use some of your power to move the rear end sideways. This may or may not be an issue for you and where you park at home/work, but it is something to consider.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai

It's not that they're better, just the consensus of most of the car enthusiasts here is that a RWD car is easier to control if you happen to start sliding. FWD just steers you straight at whatever you're sliding towards and no matter of counter-steering or application of throttle can change that.

In my opinion for winter, FWD is easy to hook up from a dead stop because of the weight over the drive wheels. AWD is controllable and fun, probably the best in winter. RWD is also fun and controllable but can be a pain in the ass to get going on because there's no weight on the drive wheels and without proper tires and significant skill it's easy to just spin. That's the thing though, with proper tires and skill any configuration is drivable. I'm tempted to drive my Mustang through winter but she's too pretty so I think I'm going to pick up some beater 4x4 SUV

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by gpomp
    welcome to beyond
    No doubt.

Girl asks what FWD car to get and all she gets is get the RWD instead.

90% of population will hate driving a RWD in snow and ice regardless of how great the snow tires are period.

OP, some FWD cars to look into that are fun: VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed3, Ford Focus. A new WRX would be an AWD option that's under 35k new. Mitsubishi Ralliart would be a bit more but still under your $40k limit.
    Last edited by Aleks; 09-05-2011 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    GT TDi

unless you are japanese driftmaster, fwd is better for people who don't know what drift means
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

By definition, there is no such thing as a FWD sports car.

A Corvette is a sports car. A Civic Si is not.

My Ride
    NC1

VW GTI. Awesome car.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

You may be right but I would much sooner put my old lady in a fwd then a rwd. Most drivers can't handle rwd vehicles in the winter.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast