Quantcast
Equities - Analyst Reports - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Equities - Analyst Reports

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Equities - Analyst Reports

Anyone have access to quality analyst reports through their brokers?

I currently trade through Interactive Brokers and Questrade but as budget companies they don't offer much research. I've recently seen great reports from RBC, BMO, Scotia etc. and am considering opening a small account with one of these firms if I'm able to get quality reports. I've searched their websites a little bit but can't tell if I'm able to get full research reports, or just parts of them (basically, what's available on free finance sites online).

Thoughts?

My Ride
    G6

I used to get research reports on every oil & gas stock in my former job and can tell you the best two I've come across are TD and Peters & Co. (the best one). While I have no idea how a private investor can get Peters & Co. research, getting the full TD reports just involves signing up on their trading platform.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Through some connections I occasionally get Peters and Co and FirstEnergy reports.
    Both are high quality, but I believe you have to invest with them to get them yourself. My guy at FirstEnergy said $100k is a good starting point to open an account with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thanks Feruk! To the best of my knowledge retail clients at TD get short notes under 5 pages (which most reports are). They do not get the more comprehensive bulletins, just summaries of them.

If you would like something specific, shoot me your email and I'll send it your way. However, I can't add you to our distribution list.

My Ride
    94' Terd

We have access to Thompson with our firm, if you can somehow get access to this, you will have practically all the research that exists for a given company available to you. Regardless of author.

Not sure what the annual fee is, but I'm sure it is quite substantial.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I have some buddies at Peters so maybe I'll try to line them up.

I want to continue trading through the discount brokers, I just figured it might be worth throwing $5-10k or whatever the minimum is to access high quality reports. The ones I've been looking at are play spot lights on the Horn River Shale play...all around 30 pages reports (RBC, Scotia Capital & Wood Mackenzie) type stuff.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know it's not what you are asking for, but here's my opinion on the Horn River GAS play:

There is a shit-ton of gas up there, and it's pretty simple from a technical standpoint to access it. The companies that will become successful there (and other large resource plays) are ones that can be most efficient at "manufacturing" it. Driving costs down is the key.

BUT, Horn River gas is at a disadvantage to 99% of the other shale gas plays in North America due to geography. Plays like the Barnett, Woodford etc can make gas significantly cheaper.

There are several companies looking at pure OIL plays in the Horn River Basin, but I don't think anything commercial is happening with that yet.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ All true. The nice thing about the reports is that they lay out estimated costs and sales prices. Pipeline to Kitimat and LNG shipments to Asia may be the key in realizing profits.

To me the question is not so much supply, but demand. Companies need to create the demand. LNG is one way. Shell's investment in NG vehicles is another. You're not going to lower costs to make $3/mcf competitive no matter what you do. But if you can get $10-15/mcf in Asia, it may make economic sense.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That kitimat pipeline is a pretty small piece of the puzzle. Not enough to take even a quarter of the Horn River gas if I remember rightly.

And there are people making $3/mcf gas profitable in North America. Chessepeak and Devon are profitable that that price on many of their US plays.
    Horn River needs $5 or $6 to make money, mostly due to costs to transport to market (around $2) and higher costs for being so isolated (at least $1)

Anyway, I know the reports you speak of, and if I find any, I'll let you know.

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

What are you looking for, pm me