Quantcast
Options for digital media players - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Options for digital media players

My Ride
    Grimace

New WDTV Live is out, not sure if it is available in Canada yet though. Looks nicer and an actual remote!
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
    Not sure what has changed though, I know it has wifi now which is nice. Perhaps a nicer firmware?

^^^

I havnt seen any pictures of the interface yet. I think it only scrapes from a usb source at the moment but still cool that they have something like this now. I like how the wireless is built in. Havnt seen these things in canada yet. The older wdtv live was going for 70 at memory express. So long as this new device is in the ballpark of ~100 its not a bad deal.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I might get the updated one in the future, I'd like two in the house.

I'd just like more simple integration with my network folders (I fucking hate WMP sharing). Also a little faster response would be nice.

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by beecue
    Sickbeard probably works best with sabnzb. I wouldn't pay for giganews though. You can get astraweb or usenetserver for much cheaper or resellers.
    Switched from Giganews to astraweb, horrible decision...

99% completion, yea I'm doubting this. On 3 seperate occasions in one evening I came across missing articles to the extent they couldn't be repaired (and who wants to be repairing anyways?!)

How can you guys be happy with this service?

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by BigShow

99% completion, yea I'm doubting this. On 3 seperate occasions in one evening I came across missing articles to the extent they couldn't be repaired (and who wants to be repairing anyways?!)

In the past couple years using Astraweb, I think I've come across two downloads that couldn't be repaired. Sometimes I need a small repair, but it's quick and if your indexing has par2 files, no biggie (on a stripe raid). Surprised it's bad for you.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I had issues with sabnzb or whatever and it turned out to be the server that I was running on. I am on Astraweb and Blocknews.

Linux kinda sucks for this. No matter what I did, I would incompletes and CRC errors.

Moved the setup to my WHS and haven't had an issue since.

Originally posted by GoChris

In the past couple years using Astraweb, I think I've come across two downloads that couldn't be repaired. Sometimes I need a small repair, but it's quick and if your indexing has par2 files, no biggie (on a stripe raid). Surprised it's bad for you.
    I can't remember the last I've even had missing blocks. It was probably the upload that was the problem for BigShow or maybe it hadn't fully propogated. Also, astraweb doesn't take anything from my experience. Just yesterday I saw comments of articles being removed from uns and giga. I was having speed issue a while ago, so I switched to the EU servers and everything has been fine since. I've been with Astraweb for 4 years now.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by schocker
    New WDTV Live is out, not sure if it is available in Canada yet though. Looks nicer and an actual remote!
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
    Not sure what has changed though, I know it has wifi now which is nice. Perhaps a nicer firmware?
    I've got it and its pretty nice. Was planning a Boxee originally, but read some questionable reviews, and the WDTV has been awesome so far!

But now for the real reason I bumped this thread - do any WDTV owners have the Android app? I wanted to port it with RIM's tools and see if it works on my PlayBook (now that OS 2.0 is released, and the PB supports select Android apps), but I don't have an Android device.

Could someone with a Droid download this app and pull the APK file for me?

https://market.android.com/details?i...wdremote&hl=en

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Stealth22
    I've got it and its pretty nice. Was planning a Boxee originally, but read some questionable reviews, and the WDTV has been awesome so far!
    I was thinking of getting one soon so I could set up a little nas or something instead of having the loud external hard drive.

Try this for the remote maybe
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1426994

Also, does this work with canadian netflix?

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by schocker

I was thinking of getting one soon so I could set up a little nas or something instead of having the loud external hard drive.

Try this for the remote maybe
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1426994

Also, does this work with canadian netflix?
    I use it on a wired gigabit connection over CAT5e, so I can't attest to the wifi quality. But it streams great off my Tversity server.

I also set up the Netflix (Canadian) trial on it, and it works great as well. The selection, as we all know, isn't as great as Netflix USA, but its half decent I guess. Still thinking about whether or not to pay the $8/mo for it.

I also tried that link for the remote, but that file wouldn't convert properly. I want to see if someone else can get me the APK before declaring that app unusable on the PB.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Boxee. Very happy with it.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Corvette

Anybody know an easy workaround to play ABC full episodes on Boxee?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

You mean without the commercials on the web streaming? Download them via uTorrent and play them off a network drive.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Stealth22

I use it on a wired gigabit connection over CAT5e, so I can't attest to the wifi quality. But it streams great off my Tversity server.

I also set up the Netflix (Canadian) trial on it, and it works great as well. The selection, as we all know, isn't as great as Netflix USA, but its half decent I guess. Still thinking about whether or not to pay the $8/mo for it.

I also tried that link for the remote, but that file wouldn't convert properly. I want to see if someone else can get me the APK before declaring that app unusable on the PB.
    I was figuring I might try to wire my house in the summer so then I can set up an actual home network and stream my hd stuff without any problems as I would prefer the nas or home server in my basement.

Ok good, I keep cdn netflix around for the older movies and the documentaries. The new stuff is generally not great but some of the tv series are good, I just wish they would add more seasons to some where they are far behind like it crowd and community.

If I remember I will try and grab it today and upload it. bleh, I am not rooted so I cant access the apk
    Last edited by schocker; 02-23-2012 at 09:58 AM.

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by codetrap
    You mean without the commercials on the web streaming? Download them via uTorrent and play them off a network drive.
    No, I mean accessing the show through the ABC website and playing it directly without download. (it seems the ABC blocks media players...?)((they geo block as well, but thats not the problem))

Downloading would work, but trying to play directly.

ABC is blocking you're region I got a US IP address built into my router and my boxee plays ABC fine along with american Netflix

No, I mean accessing the show through the ABC website and playing it directly without download. (it seems the ABC blocks media players...?)((they geo block as well, but thats not the problem))

Downloading would work, but trying to play directly.

My Ride
    Schwinn 21 speed....

Originally posted by dollarbillz
    ABC is blocking you're region I got a US IP address built into my router and my boxee plays ABC fine along with american Netflix

Is that through us-video.org? Any issues with slow down or streaming HD with Netflix etc?

Originally posted by Sailz

Is that through us-video.org? Any issues with slow down or streaming HD with Netflix etc?
    None at all i hardcoded the DNS into my router and all my devices from PS3 to Ipad can access hulu plus, pandora, netflix US no problem

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by dollarbillz
    Actually I got around the region block with a US IP, but than for whatever reason it wouldn't allow my device to play the vid...

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ465084082

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ476595761

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ484699147

Anyone deal with one of these sellers? They seem like a box I can buy from Futureshop but cracked with a couple apps installed (XMBC) but as for someone who does not want to deal with jailbreaking and shit, are they decent?
    Last edited by eiysa101; 05-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast