Quantcast
Air Canada flight attendants could strike as early as next week - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Air Canada flight attendants could strike as early as next week

AC is not forced to fly anywhere, they decide and set their own routes, and have for years. Nor have they received any government money for years either. They are not a government controlled corporation anymore.

Most of those routes posted above are served by tier 2 or 3 airlines on behalf of Air Canada such as Jazz or Central Mountain Air, under the "Air Canada Express" name and not Air Canada directly.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Memo from an angry flight attendant, it doesnt say which airline nor does it mention her name.

LONG READ but worth it.

To the Flying Public:
    We’re sorry.
    We’re sorry we have no pillows.
    We’re sorry we’re out of blankets.
    We’re sorry the airplane is too cold.
    We’re sorry the airplane is too hot.
    We’re sorry the overhead bins are full.
    We’re sorry we have no closet space for your oversized bag.
    We’re sorry that’s not the seat you wanted.
    We’re sorry there’s a restless toddler/overweight/offensive smelling passenger seated next to you.
    We’re sorry the plane is full and there’s no other seats available.
    We’re sorry you didn’t get your upgrade.
    We’re sorry that guy makes you uncomfortable because he “looks like a terrorist”.
    We’re sorry there’s a thunderstorm and we can’t take off. We’re sorry we don’t know when it will stop.
    We’re sorry you’re crammed into a space so small that if you were an animal PETA would protest.
    We’re sorry a Super 80 has no music or video entertainment for your 3 hour flight.
    We’re sorry we ran out of your favorite soda.
    We’re sorry there’s no more sandwiches.
    We’re sorry that Budweiser costs $6.
    We’re sorry we don’t have diapers for your baby.
    We’re sorry we don’t have milk for same baby.
    We’re sorry you can’t hang out by the cockpit door waiting to use the bathroom.
    We’re sorry you can’t hang out at the back of the airplane.
    We’re sorry you have to sit down and fasten your seatbelt.
    We’re sorry you have to put your seat up for landing. We’re sorry we don’t know when we’re going to land. We’re sorry we don’t know whether your plane to (substitute any city in the world) will be waiting for you when we land.
    We’re sorry we’ve been diverted because we ran out of gas waiting to land.
    We’re sorry for these and so many other things that we have absolutely no control over but which we are held accountable for EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Please understand. Flight attendants are not the enemy. We share your space. More than anyone – we want to have a nice, pleasant travel experience. There is a reason behind everything we ask you to do. It may be a FAA directive. It may be security related. It may be a company procedure. We don’t just make stuff up.

We don’t spend 8 weeks at the flight academy learning how to pour a Coke. There are many things that flight attendants are watching for constantly on every flight FOR YOUR SAFETY. It’s not because we’re bored or so controlling that we just enjoy telling people what to do. I, for one, would like to have one flight where I didn’t have to repeatedly tell people to put their seats up for landing. Seriously.

Can’t you just do what we ask sometimes? Without the glares, eye rolling and disdain? For the record – putting your seat up for landing may not seem that important to your personal safety. However, it is very important for the person sitting BEHIND YOU. If you have ever tried to get out of a row where someone has their seat back you know it can be a challenge. Try grabbing your ankles (emergency brace position) or getting out of that row quickly with smoke in the cabin.

Understand a little better now?

Many of the things we ask passengers to comply with are FAA directives. Like carry-on bag stowage and exit row requirements. When we can serve drinks (in the air) and when we can’t (after the aircraft door is closed or on an active taxi-way). We are only allowed to move about the cabin during taxi out for safety related duties. We can’t get you blankets then, or hang coats, or get you drinks. It’s not because we don’t want to. It’s because we are held personally responsible if we fail to comply with FAA directives. Meaning that the FAA can fine us personally up to $10,000 if we fail to comply or enforce an FAA Directive. Like no bags at the bulkhead. No children in the exit row. No one moving around the cabin during taxi. Perhaps now you know why flight attendants get a little testy when people move about the cabin when they’re not supposed to. It’s not the company that gets in trouble for that. It’s us.

Personally, I wish the airlines would show worst case scenario safety videos. Like what happens if you walk through the cabin during turbulence. There could be a guy who has just fallen and smacked his face on the metal armrest and now has a bloody, gushing broken nose. Or an elderly lady who now has a broken arm because someone walking to the bathroom fell on her. Maybe a passenger with a broken neck because somebody opened an overhead bin during turbulence and a suitcase fell out and onto the person sitting beneath it. These things can easily happen in a fast moving, unstable air environment.

Please just trust that we are looking out for your best interest and stop fighting with us about everything we ask you to do. It is exhausting. Finally, please, please direct your hostility and frustrations in the direction where they will be most effective: The customer service department. They are the ones equipped to handle your complaint and implement procedures for CHANGE. Think about it. Complaining to the flight crew about all your negative travel experiences is about the same as complaining to the office janitor because your computer isn’t working. It may make you feel better to vent about it – but it really won’t fix anything.

More than anybody we are already aware of the lack of amenities, food, service and comfort on the aircraft. Please share your concerns with the people in the cubicles at corporate who need that information to make better decisions for the flying public. It’s frustrating that so many people are in denial about what the travel industry is about now. The glory days of pillows, blankets, magazines and a hot meal for everyone are long gone. Our job is to get you from point A to point B safely and at the cheapest possible cost to you and the company. So be prepared. If you are hungry – get a sandwich before you get on the plane. If it’s a 3 hour flight, anticipate that you may get hungry and bring some snacks. If you are cold natured – bring a wrap. Think for yourself and think ahead. Otherwise, don’t complain when you have to pay $3 for a cookie and are left with a crusty blanket to keep you warm.

We hear often that the service just isn’t what is used to be. Well, the SERVICE we provide now isn’t what it used to be. When I was hired, my job was to serve drinks, meals, ensure that safety requirements were met and tend to in-flight medical issues.

Since 9/11 my primary job is to ensure that my airplane will not be compromised by a terrorist. 9/11 may be a distant memory now to many, but be assured that EVERY DAY a flight attendant reports to work he or she is constantly thinking about 9/11. We feel a personal responsibility to ensure that something like that never happens again. We can never relax. We can never not be suspicious about someone’s intentions.

It is difficult to be vigilant and gregarious at the same time. Especially when most of us are working 12 hour days after layovers that only allow 5-6 hours of sleep. Not because we were out partying and having a grand time on the layover – but because the delays that you experience as a passenger also affect us as a crew, so that what was a 10 hour layover is now 8 hours which doesn’t leave a lot of time to recover from what has become an increasingly stressful occupation. Despite everything, I still enjoy being a flight attendant.

I am writing this letter because I do still care about my profession and about the public perception of flight attendants. In the increasingly challenging travel world it is becoming more imperative than ever for people to just be decent to each other.

I can go through an entire day without one person saying anything remotely civil. I will stand at the aircraft door and say hello to everyone who enters and maybe 50% will even look at me and even less will say hello back. I will try to serve someone a meal who can’t be bothered to take their headsets off long enough for me to ask them what they want. Most of the time the only conversation a passenger has with me is when they are complaining. Is it any wonder why flight attendants have shut down a bit? After suffering the disdain of hundreds of passengers a day it’s difficult sometimes to even smile, much less interact.

We are human. We appreciate the same respect and courtesy that passengers do. The next time you fly, try treating the flight attendants the way you would like to be treated. You may be surprised how friendly your flight crew is when they are treated like people.
    SOURCE
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

^ Super 80 = American Airlines.

They are the only airline that refer to their MD-80s as Super 80s.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

I like how on WestJet I can keep my earbuds in and listen to music the entire flight if i so choose, from takeoff to landing.

The AC Baba Yagas shriek in their Morgul-tongue at me that they have to stay out until the fasten seatbelt sign is off.

Why?

So I can listen to the shitty turboprops on the Dash-8 drown out your "safety" instructions? Other than how to kick the door open and use a fatass as a flotation device, when has a flight attendant ever done anything in a "fast moving, unstable environment" that a yokel with a wetnap and warm cup of pee can't? And though it's not about AC (that long letter), it's applicable because I believe that the training didn't entail 8 weeks of learning how to pour coke into a cup -- because AC flight attendants always spill it on me and my seatmate in those Dash 8's.

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by 1barA4
    I like how on WestJet I can keep my earbuds in and listen to music the entire flight if i so choose, from takeoff to landing.
    I fly WestJet at least once a month between Fort Mac and Edmonton. They don't let you do this AFAIK....

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

lol people bitch about the stupidest shits. If you fly enough you'll realize that Air Canada is actaully one of the best airline in north america. Sure its still shitty compares to everyone else in the world but NA wise, its one of the better ones.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I think the passengers will have better luck and do more about a potential terrorist than the flight attendant would.

Bunch of guys beating him down > Some flight attendant running around looking for the marshal or trying to figure out which way to point the Taser.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I fly WestJet at least once a month between Fort Mac and Edmonton. They don't let you do this AFAIK....
    Most airlines, Air Canada included, will let you wear air bud type head phones during take off and landing but not headsets. I imagine this is because ear buds will just fall out in the event of an evacuation (not that it takes a lot to take off headphones...but still....)

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    lol people bitch about the stupidest shits. If you fly enough you'll realize that Air Canada is actaully one of the best airline in north america. Sure its still shitty compares to everyone else in the world but NA wise, its one of the better ones.
    Air Canada is a great airline...internationally even. The problem is that the old busted bitchy cabin crew are always forcing the cancellation of flights due to strikes and may run the airline into the ground from a financial perspective.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Apparently some of you think this is just me trying get my e-penis out, but hopefully others appreciate this...

Here are some pics of the Emirates Stewardess (obviously a model in her off-time) who hosted the party last night. I don't have any party pics yet...these are just creeps off her FB. If Air Canada stewardesses were this hot I think the airline would do a lot better, and I'd have a bit of sympathy for the striking workers!

*SNWS*

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6704131_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2682232_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5485122_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3845437_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1235901_n.jpg

^^ Holy shat .. what route does she fly? I'll be sure to detour next time I'm flying the region.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by w_man
    ^^ Holy shat .. what route does she fly? I'll be sure to detour next time I'm flying the region.
    One of the perks for Emirates staff is that they can bid on different routes and thus travel a bit. I've seen some of the same AC cabin crew on the Calgary / Frankfurt route for 5 years....

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by davidI

Most airlines, Air Canada included, will let you wear air bud type head phones during take off and landing but not headsets. I imagine this is because ear buds will just fall out in the event of an evacuation (not that it takes a lot to take off headphones...but still....)
    Every Westjet flight I've had (within Canada or to the states) allows the earbuds but I've yet to fly AC domestically or internationally where they don't give me the stink eye and flap their sagging batwing arms at me to take them out.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by 1barA4

Every Westjet flight I've had (within Canada or to the states) allows the earbuds but I've yet to fly AC domestically or internationally where they don't give me the stink eye and flap their sagging batwing arms at me to take them out.
    AC allows you to keep them on during take off and landing if they're plugged into the Inflight Entertainment System. I believe this is so you can hear inflight announcements as the IFE system is tied into the P/A system.

This might even be a Transport Canada rule, if it is, then the Westjet flight attendants aren't doing their job.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by KrisYYC

AC allows you to keep them on during take off and landing if they're plugged into the Inflight Entertainment System. I believe this is so you can hear inflight announcements as the IFE system is tied into the P/A system.

This might even be a Transport Canada rule, if it is, then the Westjet flight attendants aren't doing their job.
    This, west jet still gets pissy if your ear buds are plugged into anything besides their system
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by finboy

This, west jet still gets pissy if your ear buds are plugged into anything besides their system
    That's because all electronics other than the inflight system need to be turned off during take off and landings. That's an international regulation and is nothing new....

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by davidI

That's because all electronics other than the inflight system need to be turned off during take off and landings. That's an international regulation and is nothing new....
    Exactly right. Unfortunately the reasoning behind it is quite stupid IMO; I saw it on Mayday a couple years ago. It came in after a plane crashed due to interferance with the electronics system of that plane. Why do I call it a stupid rule then? Well. the system that brought the plane down was actually an INTERAL one that powered built-in laptops for first class customers. As far as I know, there has never been an incident or the slightest bit of evidence that an external device (such as my Ipod) has any effect on a plane whatsoever. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't see how an Ipod turned on is any more dangerous then a ham sandwich.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

all i hope is they can have it resolved for december when i fly.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by spikers
    all i hope is they can have it resolved for december when i fly.
    F*&K THAT! I need it resolved by the second weekend of October so I can get to New York.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Feruk

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't see how an Ipod turned on is any more dangerous then a ham sandwich.
    I've never looked into the research behind this, and it used to make me mad too, but I actually get feedback through my iPod when I, or people around me, receive text messages. Anyone else noticed this?

From an airline standpoint, it's a lot easier to just say no electronics than have a list of 126 acceptable devices and 97 unacceptable ones. We've all seen how dumb people are with the basic instructions....and yea, I'd rather the pilots navigation / communication systems work than allow someone to listen to a couple extra tunes...

My Ride
    an econo box

No electronic devices during take off and landing is just so people are paying attention incase of an emergency. Cellphone signals and other transmitting devices can interfere with the navigation/communications systems. That's why their use is prohibited during the entire flight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast