Quantcast
Suggestions for starting car in winter? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suggestions for starting car in winter?

if you have a 82-85 toyota supra turn off the wipers if your car feeezes

My Ride
    Triumph TR7, Buick Century, Ford Explorer

Come on people.... Battery blanket, block heater.
    My god, the temperture is only 20F where he is... That is only -6c for us Canucks. It has been -20c here for the last three weeks in Ontario, and all of my cars. 2000 century, 98 Explorer, 87 Daytona, and even my 78 TR7 that I start every three days, start no problem. The first three sitting out in the driveway. The Ex and the Buick have block heaters, but have never been used.
    I think his problem is the fuel they use down there. Up here the gas companies put additives in for the colder weather.
    Try that.
    Geeze, at -6c, I might even put on a jacket to go out and start the car.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by Zero102
    Khyron, there are tons of VW stores online that can probably get you a heater for your 1.8T.
    Sorry - I meant, they have recalled back all the heaters due to defective design. I don't know if that means they don't work well, draw too much power or start fires, but the dealers have said they are getting no new stock till VW redesigns them. All their newly shipped cars don't get heaters until then (which I think is insane).

I could probably find one online, but for 100+ bucks, I'd rather get one I know works.

EDIT: By recall I don't mean official recall ie, taking them off existing cars They just won't put them on new ones or replace them.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    1992 Mercury Sable

Well, it's not so cold that I can't step outside, it just sucks to stand out there for more than a few minutes. So yes, I do put a jacket and gloves on and go out and start it every five hours or so. It's been starting okay, hope it keeps up. Before, it was stalling after it started unless I revved it for a couple minutes, but since I put the dry gas in, that problem has gone away.

My Ride

Thumbs up

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Ok, here's one for everybody ... I Think its universal but there IS such a thing as an "in-line coolant warmer ".. or called recirculating block heater .. one of the 2 ..

sort of the same idea of a block heater only it hooks up to the input of the block and has a recirculating motor that will cycle the coolant through the block/heater coil ..

This means you'll have a clear spot in the mist on the windsheild by the heating vent if its set to defog ..

It could be extreme for 20F (-6Celcius) but is great for us canucks especially lately .. -30's all week w/ -40 windchill ?? Damn!
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Yah I've heard of these coolant warmers - the question is which is better for the car itself? I would imagine the oil pan warmer would be, but I don't know.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

mother fucker battery wouldnt turn the car over this morning

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Khyron, oh, I see, I thought you were looking for one, sorry.
    Hmm, recirculating coolant heaters are nice, but they are more expensive than a rad hose heater, which will work just as well (minus the defrosted windshield).
    Hmm, don't JUST get an oil pan heater, trust me, that's all my car had, and it was a fright to start at -20C.
    It's nice to have warm oil, but there is much to be said for a warm block as well, which the oil pan heater will not help with.
    They are best used in a combination. I use both an oil pan heater and a lower rad hose heater right now, and it started like a champ this morning, didn't even shake like it usually does (around the freezing mark, so it must have been pretty warm).
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Some wedges.

Anyone have any generic tips for carbed cars? Mine's stranded at a park n' ride :P I have it plugged in now, and I'll try it in the morning, but I tried about 3 times tonight about an hour apart each, and each time with a boost...no go :| Oddly enough, the first time, it'd fire once and a while, but the last time I tried, no firing at all..so mebbe try pulling the battery tomorrow and throwing a charger on it for a few hours?

PS: Winter can eat me :|
    WTB:
    87+ AW11 ds valence panel, ds fender, rear visor. Burgundy interior parts as well.
    7th gen Celica antenna assembly

Please PM me, thanks!

My Ride
    Z31 turbo, MPV V-6

oh god my poor car its -37 c now

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Yea its crazy, I got a photo from the thermometer outside the window at my parents house, no wind -37.

My car wouldnt start this morn .. killed the battery tryin with the remote start, and then tried witha key "click" it did start, ran .. idled for 5 seconds and stalled ... my poor baby

Another way to use AMA =)
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    Impreza RS

Definetely get a batter blanket, it just a fabric piece that wraps around your battery and has a cord so you can plug it in.

How would you plug in the block heater and battery blanket at the same time?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    90 Jetta GTX

haha, I'd like to see your Sable in OUR weather. Forecast is for
    -40 tonight.
    BTW, Olds seems to handle it just fine. -40!! DAMN

My Ride
    1992 Mercury Sable

It's been just fine since I put the dry gas in, that stuff does wonders. It starts okay as long as I start it once or twice a day, and doesn't stall. What does that stuff do exactly? Do any of you use it? Odd that no one has suggested it yet. Maybe Canadian fuel doesn't need it? Because of those additives or whatever someone talked about?

My Ride

Dry gas, is a named brand that you have down there. I have never seen that brand here in Ontario. What it does, is takes the moisture out of the gas in your tank, thus, lessoning the chance of freezup of your fuel lines. I put the same type of stuff in the tank of my TR7 before I garage it for the winter. It is much the same as ISP, or rubbing alcohol.
    Here, we put in somthing called Staybil. Same stuff.
    And yes, there are lots of additives in our gas as I mentioned in a previous post. You pay for what you get here.
    Hope you keep moving

Talking Cold Starts

Folks,

There are a handfull of problems that can cause an engine not to start in the colder weather.

1. Under -15deg. Celcius or about zero degrees F, you may want to consider plugging in your block heater cord, if you have one. Often vehicles that were sold in warmer climates, will not have a block heater, so you may have to take your car into the shop to have one installed.

2. If you don't have an engine block heater, and you rarely se -15C or 0deg F, you can try a lighter oil (5W30) or even better a synthetic (5W30) this will allow the engine to turn over easier in the cold.

3. Battery Blankets work as well for those who do not have block heaters. Provided you live in the northern most states, or in Canada, you should be able to find them at any auto parts retailer.

4. For cars not running well after starting up, it would be best to take your car in for a tune up, and explain the problem you are experiencing, to your mechanic. Carburated vehicles can have different problems then would fuel injected cars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2