Quantcast
Applewood Park? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Applewood Park?

Default Applewood Park?

In my search for a new home, a few properties of interest have popped up in this area, but I have been a little hesitant to really look into this neighborhood, more based on the fact it's pretty close to some shadier areas of town.

That said, I have a few friends that have lived there for some time and they tell me it's a great neighborhood.

Crime-wise, it doesn't seem that bad, but I wouldn't mind hearing some feedback from others who have lived or do live in the community.

You do get a little more bang for your buck... and given our desire to keep our bills down until my wife returns to work, value is a good thing.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Pros: Fairly close to downtown.

Cons: Everything else. I lived in Abbeydale (just North of Applewood) and I'm glad I'm out of there. Granted, it isn't quite as bad as Abbeydale but you're right beside Penbrooke (which is even worse), and it is just a matter of time before Applewood completely goes to shit.

We like the location not so much due to it's proximity to downtown, but the fact it's on the eastern edge of the city and off the ring road, quick access to Brooks & Medicine Hat where we travel often.

I don't expect we would be in the area for the long term, likely a few years.

My Ride
    K20A2

me and the GF dont mind it as well it is really good that we can hop on stoney trail within mins but we see like native pride tag on our side building. Nothing like the NE (temple) where i grew up so it seems mild to me the pro is that you will be able to see globel fest
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by 95EG6P
    me and the GF dont mind it as well it is really good that we can hop on stoney trail within mins but we see like native pride tag on our side building. Nothing like the NE (temple) where i grew up so it seems mild to me the pro is that you will be able to see globel fest
    it seems identical to temple to me haha..

It's not a bad place to live but it is literally right beside some of the lowest income property in calgary. I.E. Trailer park, the condo's they keep advertising that if you make $16/hr you can own a "home", dover and forest lawn.

I had a gf who lived here and there was never any problems with crime in the neighborhood like robberies I have also never seen any hoodrats hanging around when I used to visit there.

Personally I would stay away from it because I don't want to live in the ghetto SE again but it's not like your living in a slum at all like some people like to portray...walk across the road however and you would be.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    It's not a bad place to live but it is literally right beside some of the lowest income property in calgary. I.E. Trailer park, the condo's they keep advertising that if you make $16/hr you can own a "home", dover and forest lawn.
    Anywhere away from the Mac's and you'll be fine...

Thanks for the feedback. I notice that Applewood doesn't have it's own elementary school within the community, so that means busing into Penbrooke... not sure if I like that idea.

Hmmm... so many things to ponder...

A good way to check is the CPS crime map, Ive lived here for about a year now, and seems to be a good community, other than the fact that the majority of the population here are from asia. Close by elementary schools are both in the neighborhood of penbrooke, Penbrooke meadows elementary, and G.w skene elementary.

and what actually makes a neighborhood ghetto, applewood is far greater than the actual ghetto neighborhood of ogden, and alot newer than the houses in the south side of 17th avenue SE. (forest lawn)

My Ride
    335i

Applewood is so close to Chestermere. Applewood and Chestermere are the only two areas I can think of with relatively new housing in that part of the city. I wouldn't buy in Applewood because of it's proximity to the dump and the fact that it looks like there are some train tracks that run through it (not sure though).
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    mazda3

Originally posted by tech1
    seems to be a good community, other than the fact that the majority of the population here are from asia.
    That's the only thing that makes the community less than good?

Have you looked into newer NE communities like Martindale, Saddle Ridge, or Taradale?

All of those communities have schools. Saddle Ridge has a K-3 school, Taradale has a K-6 school (5-9 school opening next year), and Martindale has a K-9 school (good luck getting into Crossing Park though, hear the waitlist is LONG)

My Ride
    can go anywhere

^^ and smell like curry from 5-8 pm Daily. I drove into taralake area and thought I was transported to India. I didn't see a single other race.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Numi
    ^^ and smell like curry from 5-8 pm Daily. I drove into taralake area and thought I was transported to India. I didn't see a single other race.
    ya the northern part of NE is pretty.... meh.

I'd look at temple, i grew up there and it's not baad at all.. some bigger older homes, just gotta look in the right parts.. Same with rundle, has nicer areass and low end areas..

^ I actually own a house in Temple, it's currently rented out, but it's not an ideal house for us to live in because the bedroom layout is a little unconventional (back split with master up and then two bedrooms on lower level), so we wouldn't be moving in there given our two small kids... plus it's not that big either.

It's on a street with some entry level stuff and then some larger homes, a good mix. My wife lived there for awhile prior to us getting serious together and she never had any problems. Neighbors were good.

Quite a bit of crime in the neighborhood though. Perhaps our street is just one of the better ones?

At any rate, I think we are going to continue peaking around other areas!