6 20.00%
  • hybrid (bit of both)

19 63.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bodybuilding vs Powerlifting vs hybrid

My Ride
    TypeR

Default Bodybuilding vs Powerlifting vs hybrid

How do you guys train and why? Currently im doing a olympic lifting program and loving it. Losing a bit of size tho.

My Ride
    TypeR

Im curious to why alot of you guys train. It seem alot of my clients either train for looks or health.

I try to train all aspects to give me great core strength and endurance

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

When I started training I trained to be strong.

Now I hybrid. I add the strength portion base, followed by hypertrophy.

Olympic lifts are added in succession.

I basically follow Thibaudeau's Work T-Nation.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Like Darkane i started with strength and size. I used to weigh 135. I managed to get up to 190. But i wasn't comfortable there nor did i find it highly functional for myself.

I work in the health industry so part of my reasons for working out is to maintain my health. But i also work in another job where I must maintain my body. Although it does have to be slim and ripped.

I have taken the summer away from the gym (only going 1x week) and just hiking (1-2x 6 hours/week), hockey (2-3x), and running (2x 10k)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I'm trying my first-ever specialization routine. Of course, hitting the arms.

Running 3 x 8 in all my core lifts to maintain what I built there, then higher rep schemes for accessories (3 x 10 or 4 x 6).

Promising so far.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I gave up training for size, my genetics just don't allow me to get jacked. I don't mind putting all the curl/bench guys that look strong to shame with my 12" guns.

I was training for both size and strength as well, but not at the same time. I would do a stength routine for a while then a hypertorphy routine.

Starting next week i'm going to try Layne Norton's Power/Hypertrophy routine to see if I like it and the results.

My Ride
    TypeR

Originally posted by KRyn
    Powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I gave up training for size, my genetics just don't allow me to get jacked. I don't mind putting all the curl/bench guys that look strong to shame with my 12" guns.
    Same I was at 220 for a while but I started to feel nasty as shit. (I'm 6'2)
    I try to hit a bit of everything each workout making it a hybrid.
    For example
    Core (warmup)
    2 power exercises
    1 hypertrophy finisher
    1 accessory lift
    timed met con
    I find by doing this I'm making gains in all aspects plus it is improving my conditioning big time when it comes to sparring and sports.
    Since switching I am now between 195-200

My Ride

Hmm.. Lets dig into this a bit deeper.

Besides the obvious: How much do you eat? What do you eat? WHEN do you eat it?

Lets dig deeper, Have you had any blood panels done? Even a basic yearly?

Lots of info can be learned.

Don't give up hope yet if you feel your genetic calling card isn't size
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Anybody here Familiar with the Prowler?

Use it? I'm going to be adding it into my routine as soon as I can get some damned Olympic plates for it!

I'll even take rusty ones, I don't care. Paying 1$/lb is so expensive new lol.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Yah last year I organized a beyond prowler push and sled drag day. It was torture! It was so brutal no one ever showed up again. If you want to buy a sled Darkane let me know, the price will be right. Also it was made by a fellow Beyonder!

Originally posted by Darkane
    Anybody here Familiar with the Prowler?

Use it? I'm going to be adding it into my routine as soon as I can get some damned Olympic plates for it!

I'll even take rusty ones, I don't care. Paying 1$/lb is so expensive new lol.
    I run mine regularly. I love / hate it. What do you want to know about it?

Yah last year I organized a beyond prowler push and sled drag day. It was torture! It was so brutal no one ever showed up again. If you want to buy a sled Darkane let me know, the price will be right. Also it was made by a fellow Beyonder!
    haha - yeah sorry I was at the first meet then I moved closer to the bike path and never had the motivation to drive anywhere further than that..

The guy that made his own was OzWhip or something like that, he's a regular on here.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Hybrid I guess. I change up my routines to keep me interested. Lately I've been doing a routine from T-Nation - I'll have to find it sometime (site blocked at work).

Basically, I got up to 175-180 which is a comfortable weight for me (I'm 5'9") and am now training for a combination of power and looks haha. I do cardio for health. I'd love to cut out all of my partying and shitty eating and become a RIPPED (~5-7% BF) 175, but honestly, I've been having way too much fun traveling, drinking, and eating nice meals on the company expense account.

My Ride

I have an econo prowler clone.

Just curious if you guys are using it as PART of the routine.

Attaching a pair of Blast straps, or TRX handles and using the prowler as Eccentricless movements.

Also using it as replacement Leg days:

Crouched Backward pull (quads)
    Forward drag or push (Hams/all leg)
    Pull throughs for reps/distance.

I'm going to use the sled a lot for conditioning as well (on it's own day).

But two a day workouts, one being sled based Should help a lot with recovery.

You guys been reading a lot of Christian Thibaudeas work lately? Very good stuff, people are blowing up following his protocols.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TypeR

yeah im gonna grab a prowler soon. LMK if you guys do a beyond meet id be down. Now 1 question: How easy is it to transport these?

My Ride

Originally posted by warcaster
    yeah im gonna grab a prowler soon. LMK if you guys do a beyond meet id be down. Now 1 question: How easy is it to transport these?
    Depends if you have or know someone with a pickup truck

The bottom Ski's might scratch the box too, the shittier the truck the better.

Also needs to be able to carry lots of plates.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    NC1

I've taken a break from all lifting. My new obsession is trying to learn how to swim. I've also lost about 15lbs since early July. I just feel much more comfortable at 150. I'm a short guy 5'5 so the extra weight is definitely noticeable lol

The prowler is awesome and totally kicks your ass. I have an econo prowler which weighs around 40lbs and I can remove the top handles. The real prowler that elite fts sells weighs 50kgs I think The econo version fits in to my GTI but have to be careful, it does scratch things up.

I started working out two years ago on advice from my buddy. I did it for strength gains and along with it came size. My goal was never to be super strong or super jacked, it was just to improve on where I was before and I met those goals.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Anyway, check out Tim Ferriss, he gained 34lbs in a month. Can you imagine how much food he ate? haha

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...le-in-4-weeks/

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TypeR

natural i think not.

EDIT
    Actually it could be, i didnt notice but the second pic is closer and way darker. Mix that with a bit of photo shop it may be possible. But there is no way he put on that much weight without some EXTRA help...... in one month anyways
    Last edited by scboss; 08-30-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast