Quantcast
Troy Davis denied clemency 1 day before execution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Davis denied clemency 1 day before execution

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Default Troy Davis denied clemency 1 day before execution

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...y-1184801.html

Contradicting testimony from witnesses, no weapon matched to the murder, no evidence connecting him to the murder.

Yet they have decided to murder this person to which there is no evidence that he is guilty.

Even if he was guilty, murder is murder and no human has the moral right to take another one's life for any reason other than self defense in the most extreme situation.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

$10 bet this is in the southern states, before I even read it.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Oh well fuck me, it's in Georgia.

Has anyone been following the case of the West Memphis 3? The three of them did 18 years in prison, one of them on death row. No real evidence, they were basically convicted because they wore black and listened to heavy metal music. Then they were freed after making an Alford Plea where they plead guilty while still maintaining their innocence. Basically just a way for Arkansas govt to cover their asses so they can't be sued.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...84-504083.html
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 09-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Originally posted by CUG
    Oh well fuck me, it's in Georgia.
    You're aware Georgia is technically further South than Alabama, right?

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Mibz
    Uh, I know it's in the south, rectifier.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mibz
    You mean East. That SE corner of US is pretty much the same.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Cops - "OMG he's got a gun!"
    Him - "Um, it's not a gun, it's a book!"

I can only hope that there's a last minute appeal that is granted or the governor does something, otherwise a (likely) innocent man is going to die.

...and this is why eye-witness accounts are the least reliable. 9 originally finger the (convenient) suspect, 2 end up changing their mind and saying it actually was someone else and 7 recant their testimonies altogether. Yup, sounds like an overwhelming amount of evidence that this (random) black guy is the murderer.
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Affidavits Recanting Testimony or Statements Given in the Troy Davis Case
    (From: Amnesty International, ‘Where is the justice for me?’: The case of Troy Davis, facing execution in Georgia , Feb. 1, 2007)

Kevin McQueen

“The truth is that Troy never confessed to me or talked to me about the shooting of the police officer. I made
    up the confession from information I had heard on T.V. and from other inmates about the crimes. Troy did
    not tell me any of this… I have now realized what I did to Troy so I have decided to tell the truth… I need to
    set the record straight.”

Monty Holmes

“I told them I didn’t know anything about who shot the officer, but they kept questioning me. I was real young
    at that time and here they were questioning me about the murder of a police officer like I was in trouble or
    something. I was scared… [I]t seemed like they wouldn’t stop questioning me until I told them what they
    wanted to hear. So I did. I signed a statement saying that Troy told me that he shot the cop.”

Jeffrey Sapp

“I got tired of them harassing me, and they made it clear that the only way they would leave me alone is if I
    told them what they wanted to hear. I told them that Troy told me he did it, but it wasn’t true. Troy never said
    that or anything like it. When it came time for Troy’s trial, the police made it clear to me that I needed to stick
    to my original statement; that is, what they wanted me to say. I didn’t want to have any more problems with
    the cops, so I testified against Troy.”

Dorothy Ferrell

“From the way the officer was talking, he gave me the impression that I should say that Troy Davis was the
    one who shot the officer like the other witness [sic] had… I felt like I was just following the rest of the
    witnesses. I also felt like I had to cooperate with the officer because of my being on parole…I told the
    detective that Troy Davis was the shooter, even though the truth was that I didn’t see who shot the officer.”

Darrell "D.D." Collins

“After a couple of hours of the detectives yelling at me and threatening me, I finally broke down and told
    them what they wanted to hear. They would tell me things that they said had happened and I would repeat
    whatever they said. … It is time that I told the truth about what happened that night, and what is written here
    is the truth. I am not proud for lying at Troy’s trial, but the police had me so messed up that I felt that’s all I
    could do or else I would go to jail.”

Larry Young

“I couldn’t honestly remember what anyone looked like or what different people were wearing. Plus, I had
    been drinking that day, so I just couldn’t tell who did what. The cops didn’t want to hear that and kept
    pressing me to give them answers. They made it clear that we weren’t leaving until I told them what they
    wanted to hear. They suggested answers and I would give them what they wanted. They put typed papers in
    my face and told me to sign them. I did sign them without reading them.”

Antoine Williams

“They asked me to describe the shooter and what he looked like and what he was wearing. I kept telling
    them that I didn’t know. It was dark, my windows were tinted, and I was scared. It all happened so fast. Even
    today, I know that I could not honestly identify with any certainty who shot the officer that night. I couldn’t
    then either. After the officers talked to me, they gave me a statement and told me to sign it. I signed it. I did
    not read it because I cannot read.”

Robert Grizzard

“I have reviewed the transcript of my testimony from the trial of Troy Davis… During my testimony I said that
    the person who shot the officer was wearing a light colored shirt. The truth is that I don’t recall now and I
    didn’t recall then what the shooter was wearing, as I said in my initial statement …”

Michael Cooper

“I have had a chance to review a statement which I supposedly gave to police officers on June 25, 1991. I
    remember that they asked a lot of questions and typed up a statement which they told me to sign. I did not
    read the statement before I signed. In fact, I have not seen it before today. … What is written in that
    statement is a lie.”

Benjamin Gordon

“I just kept telling them that I didn’t do anything, but they weren’t hearing that. After four or five hours, they
    told me to sign some papers. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I didn’t read what they told me to sign
    and they didn’t ask me to.”
    Affidavits Containing Evidence Implicating Another Suspect in the Troy Davis Case
    (From: Amnesty International, ‘Where is the justice for me?’: The case of Troy Davis, facing execution in Georgia , Feb. 1, 2007)

Joseph Washington

“I saw Sylvester Coles – I know him by the name Red – shoot the police officer. I am positive that it was Red
    who shot the police officer…”

Tonya Johnson

Red then took both guns next door to an empty house and put them inside the screen door and shut the
    door … he threatened me after this happened. He told me that he wanted to make sure that I did not tell the
    police about the guns he hid in the screen door that morning. This is why I did not testify about the guns at
    Troy’s trial because I was afraid of what Red would do to me if I did. I have not told anyone about this until
    now because I was still scared… But I have decided that I must tell the truth."

Anthony Hargrove

“I know a guy named Red, from Savannah. His real name is Sylvester Coles. I’ve known Red for years and
    we used to hang out together. Red once told me that he shot a police officer and that a guy named Davis
    took the fall for it. He told me this about a year or so after the officer was killed…”

Gary Hargrove

“I am sure that Red was facing in the officer’s direction when I heard the shooting. … I was never talked to
    by the police or any attorneys or investigators representing Troy Davis before his trial. I didn’t go up to talk to
    the police that night because I was on parole at the time and was out past my curfew so I didn’t want my
    parole officer to find out about that.”

Shirley Riley

“People on the streets were talking about Sylvester Coles being involved with killing the police officer so one
    day I asked him if he was involved… Sylvester told me he did shoot the officer …”

Darold Taylor

“I remember reading in the paper once about how a guy named Troy Davis got sentenced to the electric
    chair… One day when I was in the parking lot of Yamacraw drinking beers with Red. I told him about how I’d
    heard that he was the one who killed the officer. Red told me to stay out of his business. I asked him again if
    he killed the officer and Red admitted to me that he was the one who killed the officer, but then Red told me
    again to stay out of his business.”

April Hester Hutchinson

“Red turned to me and asked me if I would walk with him up to the Burger King so ‘they won’t think that I had
    nothing to do with it’. That’s exactly what he said… I told [the police] that I saw Red talking to my cousin
    Tonya and that Red was real nervous. I did not tell them about what Red had said to me because I was
    scared he would hurt me. I was thinking that if he did that to a police officer, what would he do to me? I didn’t
    want to die like that officer, so I kept my mouth shut.”

Anita Saddler

“When I saw Red and Terry, they were jumpy and couldn’t stand still. Their eyes were shifting around and
    they were looking everywhere. They walked up to us and Red asked us to go up to Burger King and see
    what happened. Like I said, they were real nervous and fidgety. Red had a gun which was stuck into his
    shorts. I saw the outline of his gun through his white shirt. I had seen him with a gun many times before.”

Peggie Grant (mother of April Hester Hutchinson)

“A few hours later, April called me on the phone. She told me that she had had a conversation with Red
    where he asked her to walk up with him to where the officer was shot so that the police would think that he
    was with her and not think he did anything.”
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Default Re: Troy Davis denied clemency 1 day before execution

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-05-2019 at 10:02 AM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Honestly Sugarphreak I just don't care to debate with you about morals, I really don't give a single fuck what you have to say on the topic.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-05-2019 at 10:01 AM.

My Ride
    W204

At the end of the day, it's a case of MacPhail.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Affidavits Recanting Testimony or Statements Given in the Troy Davis Case
    I read about this case the other day. These quotes are unbelievable, I couldn't finish reading. I forget the exact number but the State of Georgia hasn't reversed a decision in 33 years or something like that.

I don't know whether Troy Davis is guilty or not, but they clearly don't have the evidence that says he is beyond reasonable doubt.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Default Re: Re: Troy Davis denied clemency 1 day before execution

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just a sidenote here:

As from the spanking thread; Morals are based on a set of abstract principles and how they are prioritized, as a result each person has their own moral code, and therefore there is no unified moral code or law.
    I used to think that until I took philosophy of law. It's actually quite uniform and quite unified, hence the law having contiguity with moral principles that are cooperated with (albeit a coercive system) by the masses.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Stop pretending your the high priest of moral code and I won't have to keep calling you on it.
    Not only this, but there's no murder taking place here. It's a lawful execution, regardless of how Modelexis feels about it.

Originally posted by anarchy
    I don't know whether Troy Davis is guilty or not, but they clearly don't have the evidence that says he is beyond reasonable doubt.
    Read your own quote.. "I don't know". You don't know all the evidence. All you have is some wiki quotes and internet rumour. Therefore, you're not in any position to state that he isn't beyond reasonable doubt.
    Last edited by codetrap; 09-21-2011 at 10:27 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Aren't they trying a last minute appeal today? Heard it on the radio on the way into work.

I think the guy deserves the appeal considering the "eye-witnesses" all have retracted what they originally said.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by codetrap
    Not only this, but there's no murder taking place here. It's a lawful execution, regardless of how Modelexis feels about it.
    Right, and the Salem Witch hunts weren't murder either, they were simply a lawful execution carried out in a fully moral manner. We can't call it murder if it was a law at the time...
    Last edited by Modelexis; 09-21-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Default Re: Re: Re: Troy Davis denied clemency 1 day before execution

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-05-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Originally posted by codetrap

Read your own quote.. "I don't know". You don't know all the evidence. All you have is some wiki quotes and internet rumour. Therefore, you're not in any position to state that he isn't beyond reasonable doubt.
    What are you talking about? First off, I've not going off wiki quotes and rumours, there's been extensive coverage of the case. Seven of nine key witnesses disputed all or parts of their testimony, no blood or DNA ties Troy Davis to the crime, no weapon ever found. Only shell casings linked to an earlier shooting he was convicted of, and even a weapons expert testified that he couldn't definitively say those casings came from the same gun, just that it came from the same type of gun.

I'm not saying this guy's an angel, but in my opinion, there's clearly enough controversial evidence to cause reasonable doubt in my opinion. Apparently I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'd love to hear why you're so convinced he did it and why this man should die.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast