Quantcast
Male Midwife - Ok, weird, or just plain wrong? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Male Midwife - Ok, weird, or just plain wrong?

Default Male Midwife - Ok, weird, or just plain wrong?

Okay, well currently I'm upgrading all science pre-requisites and I'm strongly considering applying to the midwifery program at MRU in Calgary.

My first choices would be Diagnostic Imaging, particularly ultrasound, but getting into any diagnostic imaging program may prove itself to be difficult. I want to have other options, and respiratory therapy / nursing just isn't for me.

Midwifery is a relatively new profession, and all in all I can't imagine it being that bad. I may run into cases where the female wouldn't feel comfortable with a male midwife though, and I can imagine getting into some pretty awkward conversations with friends/family about this career choice as well...

I don't know. What do you guys think? Diagnostic Imaging would be my first choice at a school like SAIT, but if I don't get accepted there, I'm thinking maybe midwifery would be a legitimate choice. I obviously would need to do some job shadowing here and there though.

My Ride
    335i

I can't think of a couple who would request a male midwife over a female, everything else equal.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Silverado

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I can't think of a couple who would request a male midwife over a female, everything else equal.
    Super domineering, sexist husband, who thinks all women are incompetent... you might get a job in boonies.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

That sounds like a lot of commitment... have you considered trying being a receptionist or a hair stylist first?

My Ride
    T MR2

If you like it, go for it.

however, the way most males would see it is that they are uncomfortable with their wives in your hands.

I don't think anyone is trying to put you down just telling you straight up its most likely not a good choice. Explore more, keep your options open.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Well I agree with you on an emotional level I would choose a female first every time, however, based on the fact that there aren't even CLOSE to enough midwives to meet the demand in Canada right now, he'd have a pretty good run at getting more than enough clients due to current lack of choice. It's HARD to get in with the midwives here and they actually tell people "We absolutely pick and choose the patients we want."

Now that I've experienced the exceptional level of care a midwife provides over an OB (at least the OB I had initially anyway), I'd pick a male midwife over no midwife every time.

I do think it's odd though, because I have a male GP, had a male OB/GYN for my first pregnancy and I had no emotional response at all. I don't understand how a midwife would be different. Maybe because the care is so much more personal with a midwife?

On the female dominated forum I'm on there was actually a thread about this very thing, most of the women said they'd have no issue with it, but a few said that they wouldn't choose a male midwife purely based on an emotional reaction. Of those, most said they also wouldn't choose a male OB or doctor though.

OP - My vote would be go for it, based on what I've experienced, there will be no shortage of patients for you. However, It will be a lot of work to go so much against the grain though, finding a midwife group to take you on after graduating might be difficult until the bias on male midwives (and midwives in general) shift. Might be worth calling the groups in Calgary (or wherever you're wanting to work) to see what their thoughts on the program and potential male students would be, it wouldn't hurt to see what they think.
    Last edited by abyss; 09-21-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

def. don't think it is a good idea. Kind of like a male nurse or male masseuse... I don't want any of them purely based on emotional reactions and personal preference.

My Ride
    Miller

It's called a midwife, think about that. It will be like this for a while and be slow to change, maybe a similarity could be pulled from viewing the trades, sure there is women involved now but it took years and years to get here. Not saying it's bad or won't work, just (obviously) different.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Don't you think women would rather work with someone who has ovaries and is capable of bearing a child themselves?

Not to question your sexuality or anything, but if you're into women, don't you think it will be tough to find a girlfriend who accepts this as your profession? I would think it would limit the playing field considerably....

My Ride
    CBR 929

Lots of male doctors out there, both family and Ob/Gyne so not sure why it would be anymore awkward than that. I would think it would be less awkward delivering a baby than it would be doing an endo-vaginal scan....

Pretty big difference between ultrasound and mid-wifery, one is more science and analytical where as the other is extremely hands on. There is also nuc med and the xray tech program at SAIT if you don't like the resp tech program.
    They did take two guys into the ultrasound program this year though.

As well I once did a mortgage app for a guy who was a mid-wife in Nunavut, he made well over 100K a year on contract with the health region up there.

[url]

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's easy to make over 100k up in those areas though. Nurses make that much with housing expenses paid for and whatnot. It's cause no one really wants to be up there so the money has to be higher to attract.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In the end, most couples want a midwife they are comfortable with. Currently, for most people,that means a female.

But, given the demand for midwives, and the low number of them, you do have a shot at making this work.
    Don't think about a male midwife vs a female midwife. It's most likely going to be a choice between a male midwife and no midwife at all.

Probably the best thing you could do is go out and talk to some currently practicing midwives. Ask them how a male midwife would work in their teams.

My wife and I had a team of midwives for the birth of our daughter, and yep, all of them were women.

Anyway, if this is your passion, go for it, but know it'll be an uphill struggle. If you are just looking at this as a career, don't bother, since you'll be fighting this stereotype your whole life.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by Type_S1
    def. don't think it is a good idea. Kind of like a male nurse or male masseuse... I don't want any of them purely based on emotional ERECTIONS and personal preference.
    fixed

When I mention Diagnostic Imaging, I mean either ultrasound, x-ray or nuc med. Getting into any of these programs would take immediate preference.

Still, I think the stereotype would be very hard to get over. I mentioned this career prospect to my mom and she freaked out. She said she would not want a man handling her baby and in her room during pregnancy and she would feel much more comfortable with a women.

Midwife means terrible working hours, no social life you can plan really. I know of two midwives and they are seriously in love with the work, such passion I have never seen in anyone else. From what you have written I feel you are looking at this as a far down the list of professions. You will hate it and the clients will pick up on this.

Can I get in on the movie rights if you go through with this? Seriously, I need to find a younger Adam Sandler type actor to play the lead role in Midwiff.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

Originally posted by kamakurakid
    Can I get in on the movie rights if you go through with this? Seriously, I need to find a younger Adam Sandler type actor to play the lead role in Midwiff.
    Look no further, Freddie Prinze Jr. could use the job and has already played a male nanny:

Last edited by Mixalot27; 09-22-2011 at 08:37 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Wouldn't a male midwife == midhusband? Or if you wanna be politically correct, midperson

mastercool12, go for it. You'll be a pioneer in this area if you're successful and tear down barriers for all males who have been passed over for jobs on account of their gender

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast