Quantcast
Picturetastic Review of Sushi Magic - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Picturetastic Review of Sushi Magic

Default Picturetastic Review of Sushi Magic

Two summers ago, I made a review of the Slap Chop and Magic Bullet. Now I'm back to review another food-making product: Sushi Magic.

I already knew how to make sushi rolls with a makisu efficiently, so the silicone wrap thing wasn't really interesting to me. Rather, the plastic mold to make nigiri sushi was what caught my attention. I've never learned how to make nigiri sushi, and I didn't have the confidence to make it by hand. I did a quick Google search for nigiri sushi makers, which led me to this Sushi Magic product.

As you can see, Sushi Magic comes with the silicone roller, the nigiri mold, and a handbook with instructions and a few sushi recipes. The handles on the silicone roller can be taken apart for easy washing - or so I was told. Disassembling the handles were a little frustrating, as I wasn't sure how much force I was supposed to put to take it apart without actually breaking it. Putting it back together was even more curious - you know how when you attempt to snap two pieces of plastic from a Gundam model together, and it leaves a weird gap in between, but you couldn't close it no matter how hard you try? It's the same case with this handle. Infuriating.

The nigiri mold looks a lot more straightforward to manage, as there are no assembly/disassembly required. The red mold is for putting the fish (or whatever topping you want) on, while the black mold rests on top of it for you to mold the rice.

For this review, I kept the ingredients pretty simple: Mock crab meat, cucumber, and raw salmon. I used Mitsuko's Perfect Sushi Rice recipe to make the rice. I had never sliced salmon for sushi before, so doing that was quite the experience. I ended up having only 20 or so acceptable slices for the nigiri sushi, and the rest ended up in the rolls. I think I'll have to obtain a sharper knife and practice more.

First up is testing the nigiri mold. The first step is to lay the fish slices onto the red mold as such:

Next is to place the black mold on top, then fill the holes with sushi rice.

After that, the rice gets compressed with the press tool/

Compressing the rice with the press tool was a little finicky, as the rice tends to stick onto the tool. I had to scrape the tool along with the edges of the hole, then press that extra rice in.

Removing the black mold from the red mold was also quite finicky, as the rice gets stuck on it. I had to use the press tool to push the rice out, which wasn't too bad to do. At this point, the nigiri sushi is done, and all I have to do is flip the red mold over and onto the cutting board, where the sushi should fall out by itself. The good news is that they did. The bad news is the final result:

...Damn, that looks fugly.

I clearly pressed way too hard on the rice, so the fish slices also get squished. Two of them came out fine, though, as they were the thicker slices (my slicing this time wasn't consistent at all):

I went for a second attempt - this time being a lot more gentle when compressing the rice. The results were a lot more satisfactory:

You can't see it from this photo, but the bottom of the sushi is really flat, which I wasn't too happy about. Handmade nigiri sushi is more well-rounded and elegant.

Next up is the silicone mat for making sushi rolls. The handbook teaches you how to make inside-out sushi rolls, but I decided to make the traditional roll, as I was most used to it:

The white stuff on top is a type of Japanese mayo, which is EXTREMELY tasty when used with mock crab meat.

It could be because I'm used to the makisu, but rolling the sushi with this silicone mat didn't feel as straightforward. Basically, you take the top handle, quickly fold the top part of the sheet over the filling, then you actually roll up the mat slowly by rotating the handle upwards. Once you reach the bottom part of the mat, you place the handle on the curved area of the bottom handle, then press downwards to tighten the roll.

I made three sushi rolls with this thing, and none of them were anywhere near as tight as using a makisu. In fact, by the end of the third roll, the top handle decided to disassemble itself.

Luckily, the sushi rolls didn't fall apart after cutting it, so they weren't as loose as I had feared.

With the exception of the silicone mat falling apart on me, the nigiri sushi mold certainly makes things easier by avoiding rice being stuck all over your hands. It's theoretically faster than making by hand, as you can make 8 pieces at a time. It's definitely designed for people who have little-to-no experience in making sushi, but believe me when I say I'm definitely sticking with a makisu for sushi rolls. Is this product worth $40? If the silicone mat was built better, then I would say yes. Otherwise, I just wish they would sell the nigiri mold separately for a lower price.
    Last edited by Xaroxantu Zero; 09-26-2011 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    Audi tt

where do you get your salmon from?

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

^what he said.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

T&T. Definitely not the best salmon, but at least I didn't get food poisoning. xD

I wonder how this one compares to the Tupperware kit:

If you know where I can buy that locally, I will get it and post a review.

No way in hell I am going to make rice with a microwave, though.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Guillermo
    I wonder how this one compares to the Tupperware kit:

Oh snap, that's pretty awesome! I'll have to ask my mom if she knows a Tupperware rep.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Damn you, that looks so good, off to Sobey's I go to get some store Sushi for dinner, just so that dissapoint myself and get back to life, instead of wanting one of these things.

Hello,

I'm Chef Michael Young designer and distributor of the Sushi Magic products. Just a few precisions about your post:

The first Photo in the review is very uncomplimentary you left the plastic protective sheet on the red silicone mat and the Sushi Handbook photographed poorly and both pieces show much better in person. See photo of Sushi Magic kit at
    link removed

Disassembling the handles were a little frustrating, as I wasn't sure how much force I was supposed to put to take it apart without actually breaking it.
    (It won’t break its made of ABS plastic)
    Putting it back together it leaves a weird gap in between, but you couldn't close it no matter how hard you try?
    There were a small number of defective roller handles in 2011 we believe most of them have been replaced. Sushi Magic carries a 30 day money back or replacement guarantee at link removed
    I had never sliced salmon for sushi before, so doing that was quite the experience. I think I'll have to obtain a sharper knife and practice more.
    There are knife sharpening and fish slicing lessons at link removed and slicing technique in the handbook. Our Sushi Handbook and website Sushi Magic has everything you need to know to make sushi. Sushi Magic is More than a sushi kit it’s complete sushi making system and lessons.
    link removed

Compressing the rice with the press tool was a little finicky, as the rice tends to stick onto the tool. I had to scrape the tool along with the edges of the hole, then press that extra rice in.
    You did over press the rice, on page11 of the Sushi Handbook are photos and instruction of using the press tool. First press the rice at an angle and then downward, the rice won’t stick and press lightly, you can see it in this video:

Removing the black mold from the red mold was also quite finicky, as the rice gets stuck on it.
    Rice sticking here can be caused by over pressing
    At this point, the nigiri sushi is done, and all I have to do is flip the red mold over and onto the cutting board, where the sushi should fall out by itself. The good news is that they did
    It’s a little unfair to show the salmon slices you messed up and actually put them in the forefront of the photo, you’ve made sushi before yet you didn’t even use a sharp knife. Please take a look on this video:

I clearly pressed way too hard on the rice, so the fish slices also get squished. Two of the came out fine, though, as they were the thicker slices (my slicing this time wasn't consistent at all): I went for a second attempt - this time being a lot more gentle when compressing the rice. The results were a lot more satisfactory:
    There are photo and text instructions page 11 and 12 of the handbook and in the videos for correct compression of the rice which is important and it clearly says not to press the rice too hard. The Japanese word Shari means a piece of rice used in the construction of sushi, that has been molded to into a shape by hand or mold or machine. When molding the Shari shape it is important that the rice is not compressed too much making rice grains pack tightly together as that may cause an unpleasant consistency when eaten such as a doughy or gummy rice texture. The correct compression will result in a Shari where the clumps of rice fall apart in the mouth with a pleasant melting effect, yet the rice is firm enough that it does not fall apart when picked up by chopsticks or fingers or when the sushi is dipped in sauce. If your sushi keeps breaking up in the soy dish you need Sushi Magic!
    Next up is the silicone mat for making sushi rolls. The handbook teaches you how to make inside-out sushi rolls, but I decided to make the traditional roll, as I was most used to it:
    Sushi Magic is the only sushi maker that makes inside out rolls too, the inside out rolls forms the basis for many of variations in sushi rolls.
    Basically, you take the handle, quickly fold the top part of the sheet over the filling, then you actually roll up the mat slowly by rotating the handle upwards. Once you reach the bottom part of the mat, you place the handle on the curved area of the bottom handle,
    (l the bottom handle is not a handle, it is a mold)
    then press downwards to tighten the roll. Made three sushi rolls with this thing, and none of them were anywhere near as tight as using a makisu. In fact, by the end of the third roll, the top handle decided to disassemble itself.
    It’s easy once you’ve done it along with the handbook instructions and the online video is easy to follow. Defective roller handles had caused a slack roll, your roll would have been compressed a little more and very evenly if the handles had not been defective. Tension on the silicone mat at the end of the rolling ensures even compression of the roll. This video shows ho to proceed:

Luckily, the sushi rolls didn't fall apart after cutting it, so they weren't as loose as I had feared.
    If the rolls cut well then the compression was okay, you probably notice when you ate the roll the slice had a melt in the mouth consistency not gummy like some over compressed rolls have. The last two photos of the sushi came out well. The nigiri sushi looks fine just like a sushi chef made them. Your sushi rolls look good with not too much compression. Normally the roller would give a bit more that helps firm the roll for slicing. So even though the roller fell apart it still worked, well done!
    With the exception of the silicone mat falling apart on me, the nigiri sushi mold certainly makes things easier by avoiding rice being stuck all over your hands. It's theoretically faster than making by hand, as you can make 8 pieces at a time. It's definitely designed for people who have little-to-no experience in making sushi, rolls. Is this product worth $40? If the silicone mat was built better,
    (MSRP is 34.95, it is well built, you had a defective part)
    then I would say yes.
    I think you would like the roller if you hadn’t had that defective part; your roll seemed to cut easy yet did not fall apart when picked up, one of the main points in preparing the rice for maki and nigiri sushi.
    All the sushi in the photos and video on link removed and the Sushi Handbook were made in the Sushi Magic there was no food designer present for our shoot, no specialized food photographers and the video sushi lessons are not a commercial, all sushi was done on the first shoot no retakes. There’s no smoke and mirrors here.
    Please free to ask for any further information
    Easy your sushi with Sushi Magic

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

That's interesting. When are we going to hear from slap chop Vince?

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

manufacturer bump.

not bad but those things are cheating!!!

making the nigiri balls of rice isn't hard to do just time consuming really

the tupperware one definitely looked like it used too much rice though im sure you can use less rice.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Well, I know one thing. I'm not buying any Sushi Magic products ever because Chef Michael Young sounds like a tool.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 07-12-2012 at 03:54 PM.

My Ride
    RX300

where can you buy this stuff dont see the sushi magic nor the tupperware one anywhere....
    trying is the first step towards failure

Wow, Chef Michael Young, designer and distributor of the Sushi Magic products, here to critique my review?! I am extremely flattered by catching your attention 10 months after I created the post.

The first Photo in the review is very uncomplimentary you left the plastic protective sheet on the red silicone mat and the Sushi Handbook photographed poorly and both pieces show much better in person.
    I highly apologize for the horrendous photos I took of your exciting product. I should have used a set of Alien Bees and built a 3'x3' stage with a nice, large sheet of silk fabric, then arrange the product with plates of sushi around it to truly make it shine. Unfortunately, being the amateur reviewer, I simply took out whatever was in the box and snapped a picture of it.

There were a small number of defective roller handles in 2011 we believe most of them have been replaced. Sushi Magic carries a 30 day money back or replacement guarantee
    Oh good, a 30-day warranty! I'm very happy to hear that! Too bad I bought and reviewed your product in September 2011.

It’s a little unfair to show the salmon slices you messed up and actually put them in the forefront of the photo, you’ve made sushi before yet you didn’t even use a sharp knife.
    If you're referring to this, it was just a photo to show what an amateur I am when using your easy-to-use product. I even admitted that I didn't cut the fish particularly well! It had nothing to do with your product at all. In fact, I had posted a picture of perfect-looking sushi after my second attempt with your superior sushi maker! I was clearly too dumb to tell how hard I should be pressing on the rice right on my first try.

Sushi Magic is the only sushi maker that makes inside out rolls too, the inside out rolls forms the basis for many of variations in sushi rolls.
    Thank you for pointing that out! Without your hard-selling, I would have thought I would be able to make an inside-out roll with a makisu and some plastic wrap!

(l the bottom handle is not a handle, it is a mold)
    I am forever enlightened.

I think you would like the roller if you hadn’t had that defective part; your roll seemed to cut easy yet did not fall apart when picked up, one of the main points in preparing the rice for maki and nigiri sushi.
    I know it's totally not the product's fault. I'm just an incredibly unlucky person to receive a defective product of a flawless design from a perfect company. If only your awesomeness would send me a non-defective product for free, I would gladly re-review your roller again! I'll also be sure to follow your incredible videos without fail.

On an honest note, I actually still use your sushi maker when I make nigiri sushi!

- - -

I was very curious as to why my old-ass 10-month old review would catch the attention of Mr. Young himself, then I saw this:

I should make more Picturetastic reviews.

My Ride
    SJ9

In on first page.

Regardless like others have said I wouldn't buy this product now that I've read the manufacturer's post

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Well, I know one thing. I'm not buying any Sushi Magic products ever because Chef Michael Young sounds like a tool.
    This. He really should have let this one die. I wouldn't of seen this thread if not for him joining the forum to criticize an amateur review.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

This is a great morning lol thanks Beyond.hey it sure seems like a real popular product on the webz if I got this thing as a gift, I would return it, or re-gift it
    Last edited by bourge73; 07-14-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2