Quantcast
RIM slashes playbook prices! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: RIM slashes playbook prices!

My Ride
    03 infiniti G35

Default RIM slashes playbook prices!

A handful of electronics retailers are cutting the price of Research in Motion’s BlackBerry PlayBook due to lackluster sales. BGR found that Staples, Best Buy, and Office Depot have all slashed the PlayBook price by as much as $200. Both Staples and Office Depot have reduced the price of all three versions of the 7-inch tablet by $100 and are offering an additional $100 discount with a mail-in rebate. In Canada, Best Buy has a similar promotion, but it says the deal is only good through Oct. 6. The retailer has knocked $100 off the price of the tablet, and in-store shoppers qualify to receive a $100 Best Buy gift card, rather than a rebate. RIM told PCMag in a statement that though the official price of the tablet has not changed, these independent promotions are an effort to drum up interest in the PlayBook. “As mentioned on the Q2 earnings call on Sept. 15th, we have a number of promotional plans in place for the fall with our retail partners that are intended to drive sell-through and increase adoption of the BlackBerry PlayBook. We are already starting to see some of these promotions being implemented in the form of instant rebates and gift cards within the consumer channel, and expect these promotions to continue into the holiday season.” RIM also confirmed that it has a major software update planned with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, but it did not say when it would roll out. While a price reduction could give PlayBook sales a boost, it’s not looking good for RIM’s tablet. Last week PlayBook manufacturer Quanta announced that it would cut 1,000 people from its factory in Taiwan where the tablet is produced. Earlier this month, RIM also reportedly started offering discounts of up to 50 percent off the tablet to employees. The Canadian company said in its earnings call this month that it only shipped 200,000 PlayBooks in the last quarter, and the Guardian has alleged that RIM is sitting on a stock of 800,000 unsold tablets. The future looks dismal for the BlackBerry PlayBook, which will only face increased pressure as Amazon likely unveils its tablet this week.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393608,00.asp

Anyone gonna be getting one?

My Ride
    M3P

No - other than the HP touchpad, this was one of the worst tablet's I've ever used, and their commercials also annoy me.

Fuck Rim

My Ride
    Has four wheels

I'm a BlackBerry guy through and through, and I'm going to be buying a tablet, but I don't think I'll be buying the PlayBook. We keep reading about glitches and promised software updates that still haven't come.

I'm playing it safe and going Android.

My Ride
    03 infiniti G35

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    No - other than the HP touchpad, this was one of the worst tablet's I've ever used, and their commercials also annoy me.

Fuck Rim
    i'd have to agree with you about the touchpad. It's garbage. The playbook commercial made it look better than it actually is. Apparently they are coming out with another tablet that will be able to run android apps.

The price of the PlayBook is dropping across Canada as Research in Motion Ltd. is expected to unveil a new tablet computer later this year. Best Buy, Future Shop and the Staples office supply chain have cut the cost of the device by $100. Originally, it sold for $500 to $700, depending on memory size. When the PlayBook was first unveiled in April, reaction was tepid. Unlike Apple’s iPad, the PlayBook never prompted customers to sleep outside in order to get their hands on it.. RIM shipped about 200,000 PlayBooks in its most recent quarter -- about half of what analysts had been predicting and below RIM's own expectations. The new version, which will be revealed at a development conference in San Francisco at the end of October, will be capable of running Android applications and will integrate with BlackBerry email and calendar functions.
    http://m.citynews.ca/life/157112/index.php#menu

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by huck

i'd have to agree with you about the touchpad. It's garbage. The playbook commercial made it look better than it actually is. Apparently they are coming out with another tablet that will be able to run android apps.
    Android app will run as well as your SNES emulator.

Playbook is done. There is no saving it. There is no dev. No dev = no apps. It doesn't do mail without a BB. It's a useless tablet.

No amount of discount will get people to buy one.

I agree. it's DONE.

My Ride
    MK7 R

Apparently, it's down to $249 at wal-mart?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/09/22/bl...almart-canada/

Shit I still wouldn't get one until it hits HP touchpad fire-sale prices

My Ride
    M3P

I'll grip one at $99. But it'll be a cold day in hell before i drop a penny over $104.99

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I'll grip one at $99. But it'll be a cold day in hell before i drop a penny over $104.99
    Consider it's only 7" vs Touchpod's 10", the proper price should be $69.99.

BTW

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/341802/new-amazon-kindles/
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.

My Ride
    Kia Sportage

Based on all the blackberry products I have owned, I will pass on this. Every single BB I have owned (new & old) have gotten a large amount of dust behind its frickin screen that you cannot get it out. You'd think they would learn from their mistakes...