Quantcast
Cost of Buliding a Commercial Building per Sq Ft? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cost of Buliding a Commercial Building per Sq Ft?

My Ride
    Porsche 911sc

Default Cost of Buliding a Commercial Building per Sq Ft?

Just in the development planning phase of a commercial building. I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much per sq ft on average it would cost to build a simple commercial building about 1200-1400 sq ft. It doesn't need a basement just a foundation and its a simple 30x40' rectangular 35x40' building.

Can you give me an idea on a wood frame and a cinder block frame.

Thanks

Please do not include land in the price just development.

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

It should be the same as a warehouse pretty much. $170 to $200 per sq should be sufficient but there would have to be tenant improvements on top of these costs most likely. There are huge variances on these numbers but that should give you a ballpark to shoot within....We would need to know what kind of building materials/finishes you want to really know how to quote you properly.

$175ish would be good for wood frame...if you go to concrete or steel add about $25 a foot

Also depends on the kind of fixturing you have going on. Mezzanine? Over head cranes - weight ratings? Over head doors?

My Ride
    Porsche 911sc

Thanks that gives me an idea, yes the tenants would have to do the improvements themselves. What if we wanted the exterior to be in stucco.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Who did you end up hiring to do the drawings/work for you.... they should be able to get you this information or they should be giving you this information.

Also there are building code implications as to whether it can be wood frame (combustible) or steel (non-combustible) which will impact how it's designed by your architect and approved by the City. Again your architect should be giving you this information.

My Ride
    Miller

Similar question, didn't think I should start a new thread. We are in the beginning stages of planning for an addition to our current shop. Basically it will be a steel building 60'Wx120'Lx26ishH. We want overhead cranes (dual 10t) and I'm not sure if it is cheaper to put up a building that can support the cranes or just a regular building with a separate crane structure inside. Any one have any insight? I have put out rfq's to a couple companies and am meeting a third on Monday. Hoping to hear back soon, any advantages to going one way or the other?

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

I'll try to look at a few construction projects that the company I work for has financed recently when I get in tomorrow. Should be able to break it down into hard cost/soft cost and psf numbers for you...

Are you planning on getting financing to do this or are you doing it with all cash? That's going to affect the soft costs, reports that you will have to do etc.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Default Re: Cost of Buliding a Commercial Building per Sq Ft?

Originally posted by 911sc
    Just in the development planning phase of a commercial building. I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much per sq ft on average it would cost to build a simple commercial building about 1200-1400 sq ft. It doesn't need a basement just a foundation and its a simple 30x40' rectangular 35x40' building.

Can you give me an idea on a wood frame and a cinder block frame.

Thanks

Please do not include land in the price just development.
    are you doing the construction or hiring out a contractor to do it for you? (fixed price contract)

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default Stucco

I personally wouldn't use Stucco in a City like Calgary(I am assuming that your building is going to be there).

The reason is that Stucco can get fine cracks in it as it ages(building settling)and water can go inside those cracks and freeze and expand(which causes big chunks to break off or aids in water infiltration). I would suggest against it unless you have to use it due to architectural controls etc.

My Ride
    2003 Hummer H1 (pimped)

Originally posted by 911sc
    Thanks that gives me an idea, yes the tenants would have to do the improvements themselves. What if we wanted the exterior to be in stucco.
    How high are you going on your building.

if you are going less than 2 stories (less than 24 ft tall) then I would use split face block (split face concrete block) for your construction.
    It will give you a finished product on the outside and a solid building.

I have also filled the centres of the block with insulating popcorn then build a steel 2x4 wall on the side to finish the inside with drywall.