Quantcast
Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

From autoblog, reports say that the latest generation of 911, the 991 will last for 14 years, with a mid cycle refresh much like the 997 and 997.2. This sounds kind of crazy to me but who knows. At least honda will be impressed
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/27/p...ed-turbo-engi/
    The new 991-generation of the Porsche 911 is now upon us, with the Carrera and Carrera S coupes unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show. So what do you think? Because love it or hate it, it'll be around for a while; 14 years, if the latest reports prove accurate.
    Also on porsche continuing to use manual transmission
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/23/p...as-long-as-th/
    Purists take note: As long as customers ask for it, Porsche will offer the 911 with a manual transmission. This sigh of relief comes from the mouth of the company's CEO Matthias Muller, speaking with Motor Trend editor-in-chief Angus MacKenzie.............
    While they were at it, Muller and MacKenzie also confirmed that the new 911 GT3 will remain a manual-only affair, superseding earlier reports and allaying fears that the beloved enthusiasts' favorite would lose a pedal for the clutch in favor of a second automated one.
    m10-power, you are out of luck for the meantime.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

That's a long fucking time for one model even with a refresh.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Damn, they look amazing, including the interior (seems like they have picked pieces from the Panamera)
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

Originally posted by schocker
    At least honda will be impressed

But really, I think 911 has been pretty much the same since 1998. Sure there are some cosmetic and tech upgrades along the way but 14 years isn't that long for a Porsche.

And the new 911 looks almost like the one it replaces.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

Originally posted by Xtrema
    But really, I think 911 has been pretty much the same since 1998. Sure there are some cosmetic and tech upgrades along the way but 14 years isn't that long for a Porsche.
    Maybe on the outside it looks the same. Now that I have a 996, I'm starting to realize how different (and better) a 997 is, and why 996's are so cheap yet 997's hold their value much better.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Default Re: Re: Re: Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    That's a long fucking time for one model even with a refresh.
    Except compared to Lambo standards. What 50 years and 4 V12 cars?

Originally posted by rage2

Maybe on the outside it looks the same. Now that I have a 996, I'm starting to realize how different (and better) a 997 is, and why 996's are so cheap yet 997's hold their value much better.

Care to share the differences? Would be nice to know
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    is wild

Default Re: Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

From autoblog, reports say that the latest generation of 911, the 991 will last for 14 years, with a mid cycle refresh much like the 997 and 997.2. This sounds kind of crazy to me but who knows. At least honda will be impressed
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/27/p...ed-turbo-engi/

Also on porsche continuing to use manual transmission
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/23/p...as-long-as-th/

m10-power, you are out of luck for the meantime.
    Lol guess I'll just buy a 997.2 turbo with pdk once the new one comes out for a bargin. I'll still wait and see, when I attended the world road show I asked about pdk and the 997 gt3 to an old school porsche racer/instructor. He said never i guess he was right haha. Seems dumb to me to not even offer it as an option.

I like the 996 interior but hate the arm rest on the door, my elbow was bleeding after the track on saturday...

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    NC1

Default Re: Re: Porsche 991 To Last for 14 Years :O

Originally posted by m10-power

Lol guess I'll just buy a 997.2 turbo with pdk once the new one comes out for a bargin.
    I'd be interested in it too if I can pay <$100k hehe
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    is wild

Ya that would be the price point for me to be interested, priced one out with the options I wanted and it was $180k canadian.

Guy brought one to the track and his Daughter drove it, also has a 650hp kit so no slouch. She would pull 9-10 car lengths on me on the straight...and i was getting drive on her. Nuts, wouldnt want to try from a standing start, would be ugly. My 996tt has at least 600hp.

My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Yes, please elaborate more. I hope to buy a 996TT in the next couple years, I doubt I can afford a 997.....I want to hear your perspective, I typically trust it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    W204

The 993 Turbos have also held their value better than the 996's; older 993's are going for more than 996s'...

Back on topic.. Didn't the original 911 last like 25 years LOL
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

I was shocked.. if you never drive them back to back, the 996 chassis feels great. The 997 is a huge step forward and is in the same league as an F430 for rigidity. I thought it would be an incremental change, but it is very dramatic.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The biggest reason why I find the 996 TT boring is the drivetrain. The AWD system is pretty random (Viscous Coupling), and no rear LSD, not even an option. The handling characteristics reminds me a lot of my SLK32 and W210 E55. Good to 9/10ths, then sloppy and unpredictable at the limit, lose tons of speed over the limit.

The 996 AWD system is purely mechanical, so normally, you get a 5/95 power split. When you get rear wheelspin, the ECU will do the "fake" rear LSD by braking the spinning wheel. Once it overcomes that system, it sends power to the front, up to 30/70 power split. On slow speed corners, it understeers heavily (guessing from lots of weight in the back). If you try to push even a little bit, it starts sending power to the front. The fronts pull the car back in line, then goes back to RWD again, which understeers again, and the process repeats, so it "skips" around slow corners. Really annoying.

In winter (haven't experienced it yet), when there's too much wheelspin, the 996 system reverts to RWD mode because the VC can't keep up and overheats. So with traction control off, it never powers the front wheels. I stumbled on this when looking for winter tires:

The 997 Turbo fixes these issues with a rear LSD (can't remember if it's standard or optional), as well as an electronic AWD system. I haven't driven a 997 Turbo hard, so this is all speculative based on people that have driven both when I brought up the complaints.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The 997 AWD is interesting at the limit. It wasn't a turbo, but in a 4S, everything was very predictable until the weight balance became an issue.. at the very edge, the rear motor can really bite you in the ass. Luckily I didn't spin figuring that out on the ring.

The biggest reason why I find the 996 TT boring is the drivetrain. The AWD system is pretty random (Viscous Coupling), and no rear LSD, not even an option. The handling characteristics reminds me a lot of my SLK32 and W210 E55. Good to 9/10ths, then sloppy and unpredictable at the limit, lose tons of speed over the limit.

The 996 AWD system is purely mechanical, so normally, you get a 5/95 power split. When you get rear wheelspin, the ECU will do the &quot;fake&quot; rear LSD by braking the spinning wheel. Once it overcomes that system, it sends power to the front, up to 30/70 power split. On slow speed corners, it understeers heavily (guessing from lots of weight in the back). If you try to push even a little bit, it starts sending power to the front. The fronts pull the car back in line, then goes back to RWD again, which understeers again, and the process repeats, so it &quot;skips&quot; around slow corners. Really annoying.

In winter (haven't experienced it yet), when there's too much wheelspin, the 996 system reverts to RWD mode because the VC can't keep up and overheats. So with traction control off, it never powers the front wheels. I stumbled on this when looking for winter tires:

The 997 Turbo fixes these issues with a rear LSD (can't remember if it's standard or optional), as well as an electronic AWD system. I haven't driven a 997 Turbo hard, so this is all speculative based on people that have driven both when I brought up the complaints.

My Ride
    is wild

Lsd in the back on a 996 turbo transforms the car to the point where taking psm off even at the track isnt needed. Without the lsd psm was off all the time when I drove on the street or track.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Since I picked up a Tip 996TT for traffic, I can't get a LSD on her. Nobody makes one for the tip!

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Kind of crazy that kind of money only gets you a very basic AWD system.

My Ride
    Grimace

That is odd, I had no idea that was the case with the 996.
    Sucks you can't get the LSD.

With the 991 lasting for so many years I should be able to get a 997 C2S in a few years hopefully.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That is odd, I had no idea that was the case with the 996.
    To top it off, the VC dies if you do this often haha. So in winter, don't turn off PSM stability control. Not sure how you would get out if you're stuck in deep snow tho...

So what you're saying is that you bought the wrong winter car and must immediately sell it at a terrible financial loss?

I'm here for you, friend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast