Quantcast
Beginner ice skating advice - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Beginner ice skating advice

Originally posted by max_boost
    So my Q, is playing D the best position to start out? In terms of developing skills, forces you to skate backwards, more ice time in general?
    You can't really put a position that is best to develop skills.
    For D, you do need to skate backwards but I have found developing skills is through practice. Scrimmage just allows you to utilize your bad skating/hockey habits. Practice methodically, or pick one thing that you will concentrate on without the puck. Like crossovers, keeping knees bent each game and cognitively work at it.

Then work towards better puck handling, keeping your head up, cradling the puck on stick handling.

Then puck possession/protection, getting legs out or keeping your body between the puck and opposition in the corners.

D: Is more positioning critical. Out of position, you work harder to gain it back and your goalie probably isn't your #1 fan. Offence, if you're out of position, you just don't get the puck down the ice or a chance to score.

My Ride
    NC1

Cool cool. As usual thanks for info. Looks like RW is my calling lol

We started a team and will be in E3 south most likely. Looking forward to that, plus a couple Tucker classes later on, just maybe I'll step out for a game against you OG hockey playas
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

RW or LW is what I play, depending on line mates or how I feel like playing. RW with a right shot, easier to pick passes up especially if you're learning.
    LW with a right shot... well just watch Iginla in the opposition zone. Shooting is a lot easier.

Don't get suckered into going into your own zone's corners as a winger. You're job is getting the pass along the boards and being the first pass out of the zone. Then protecting other team's defense.

Some guys will creep in late, high in the slot. Look to pick those guys up to help your d-men out.

Glad everyone is enjoying it. I'm really liking Tucker Hockey. Definitely some good instruction. The only thing I miss is the fact that there are no goalies until the last session for scrimmages and we don't play any games. I'm itching to play and will likely try to be a sub after the sessions end. The classes seem to have flown by.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by ffmf
    Glad everyone is enjoying it. I'm really liking Tucker Hockey. Definitely some good instruction. The only thing I miss is the fact that there are no goalies until the last session for scrimmages and we don't play any games. I'm itching to play and will likely try to be a sub after the sessions end. The classes seem to have flown by.
    How was your skating prior to starting Tucker? And how is it now?

I originally signed up for their beginner/intermediate program but took a transfer and plan to take it in spring. To be honest I'm not sure I am ready. I talked to a few buddies and they said the Tucker program you really need to know how to skate. By that he means stopping, crossovers, you have to know to get the most out of it.

My skating has improved since NCHL but that's mostly comfort in moving forward and chasing the puck, stopping has improved slightly but can't full on hockey stop. As for crossovers, not even close. I was thinking of playing the summer 16 game NCHL season and see where I am before I jump into Tucker.

I'm a pretty good skater. I can do forwards and backwards crossovers (much better going one way than the other backwards though). Stopping still doesn't feel natural, especially when I'm playing.

I've taken power skating before so some of the drills were very familiar but the drills have definitely made me more comfortable with my weaker foot and edges. I was mainly interested in learning to stop, stick handle, shoot and pass.

Almost all the people in the course are pretty good skaters but struggle on the harder balance and edge drills. I would say that the course could be taken by any level but having ok forward skating should be enough as there were people that had trouble doing forward crossovers and skating backwards. Truly inexperienced skaters would stay to the side and do the drills at their own pace (only saw 1 person that pretty much just started skating do this). If you can somewhat keep up in the scrimmages I would say you would be alright in the Tucker program. The program is very focused on skating, starting with going forward sprinkled with passing, stick handling and shooting here or there. Scrimmages are usually the last 10-15 min of the class.

My Ride
    NC1

Wicked. Thanks bra.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Bit of a thread hijack, but is anyone going into the Spring I or II sessions for NHCL? I will probably be going into either one, but I can't decide on which one is better timing/location.

Also, with all the guys who are going through it, did you need all the equipment right away, or were the sportchek sessions soon enough you could take advantage of the deal?

My Ride
    NC1

I know 3 of the girls in our winter season are re-taking the spring session at the 7:30pm slot.

You go to the orientation, you get the discount coupon and have about a week before the session starts.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

We played shinny tonight and only had 8 players aside. It was death out there lol
    I am user #49

We played shinny tonight and only had 8 players aside. It was death out there lol
    7-8 aside and two goalies is the best number for shinny!
    That's the max that I invite when I book ice.

My Ride
    NC1

haha but you are a seasoned vet my friend! I'm just a n00b.

It was so tiring, didn't know wtf I was doing out there
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Davetronz

7-8 aside and two goalies is the best number for shinny!
    That's the max that I invite when I book ice.

Absolutely!

its rough when its 4 on 4 with one goalie... and switching and back checking and no back checking and everyone dying

My Ride

I will probably do spring as well, maybe we can set up the friend discount thing.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I sent you a PM there Wraith

Cool cool. As usual thanks for info. Looks like RW is my calling lol

We started a team and will be in E3 south most likely. Looking forward to that, plus a couple Tucker classes later on, just maybe I'll step out for a game against you OG hockey playas
    max_boost, are you still looking for noob players? I did the NCHL program a year ago, and went on to form a team, but my team has since recruited some better, younger players and moved up 3 divisions after I quit to work up in fort mac.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

we need 1 more, if anyone is re-taking or thinking about doing the spring session.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by me_dennis

max_boost, are you still looking for noob players? I did the NCHL program a year ago, and went on to form a team, but my team has since recruited some better, younger players and moved up 3 divisions after I quit to work up in fort mac.
    Sorry dude we got a full team!

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Sorry about the bump. Someone told me suspenders are out of style. I think he is pulling my legs? Last time I played my pants keep falling off. My friends had a good laugh. Can't skate, pant fall off, short strides.

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    Sorry about the bump. Someone told me suspenders are out of style. I think he is pulling my legs? Last time I played my pants keep falling off. My friends had a good laugh. Can't skate, pant fall off, short strides.
    I wear suspenders, keeps my pants up without being too tight at my waist. Not many people wear them though, at least the people I play with, haha. I think there's only 2 people who wear it including myself.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast