Quantcast
Whiney Cyclists Craigslist - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiney Cyclists Craigslist

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by Afrodeziak
    It's probably the same people who bitch about parking prices downtown that bitch about cyclists, small children who cry, getting pwned on COD, door dings, fat people.

Embrace the quality of life that we have here in Calgary... not like we're in a 3rd world. Someone who's choosing a different mode of moving from point A to B, should be the least of your issues.

I look forward to the point where Calgary's density increases to the point that driving to/from downtown is out of the question. You folks have no choice but to ride a bike or take transit... as is in many other North American Cities. Sure it may never happen.. but,

Can't we all just get along?
    No.
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Silverado

nvm
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-05-2011 at 03:07 PM.

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    so let's say a whole crap load of people pay for a service. then along comes this group of people who don't pay to use it and want you to accomodate their wants and desires. sounds like a piss off to me

BIKE LANES. FUCK THAT
    Pretty sure that tax revenue pay for the roads and that nearly all cyclists are taxpayers. So let's say I, as a cyclist, pay for a service as much as anyone else does and along comes a group of people who want to run me off the road when I want to use it...

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

oops

My Ride
    Silverado

you're funny. and pretty misguided how roads are funded. the majority of road funding comes from gas tax bro. some federal money comes into play on building highways. so you can bike on those if you want.

oh and FUCK YOU

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Sugarphreak - I wholeheartedly agree with your statement, and indeed I do choose the routes where I can reasonably keep up to the speed limit, and choose bike paths/side streets where at all possible. Bikes have no place on roads with a 70+ speedlimit imho.

LED strobes on the front and rear of the bike to alert drivers around me of my presence, as well as a high vis jacket.

I too, get very irritated when other cyclists ruin it for everyone, and give all cyclists a bad name by splittling traffic, and not following the rules of the road; they should be ticketed as a motor vehicle driver would if they broke the law.

THanks for the constructive feedback.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 03:11 PM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Although I've never tried to intentionally run a cyclist off the road (ok, once... but that was like 6 years ago and the guy had it coming).

I'd say you have the right attitude in general. Waiting your turn in line at stops and following the same rules other vehicles follow is how it should be if you want to be taken seriously and respected as a fellow vehicle.

Where I see a flaw in your logic is the fact that you seem to think you have the right to the entire lane all the time. If you can do the speed limit, I would have no problem at all with you in the regular flow of traffic... but when you can only do 30-40km tops and the posted speed limit is 50 to 60km, you are obstructing traffic.

When obstructing traffic, you should pull to the side and allow other vehicles to pass freely. Not because it is a courtesy, or you are a nice guy... but because it is the law. You could be an elderly old lady or an avid cyclist, but just the same, you shouldn't be on the roadway if they are unable to keep up with the flow of traffic (or at a minimum do the posted speed limit).

I am sure there are some cases where you cannot get off the roadway and cannot let people pass you safely... IMO you should equip your bike with hazard lights and activate them when those situations unexpectedly arise. If you are aware of a section of road like this, you should detour around it.
    You are completely incorrect. The Alberta traffic act views a bicycle as a vehicle, and is entitled to the entire lane. That means when you pass a bike, you are supposed to switch lanes entirely, exactly the same as if you were passing a motorcycle or a scooter. Riding under the MAXIMUM speed limit is not obstruction, even if you really wish it was. Thus on a single lane road with a double yellow, by law, you don't get to pass. Courtesy is to ride as close to the right as possible, and in the shoulder when available.

In BC there is a rule about when a line of cars gets to 10+ behind, an RV or other slow moving vehicle is supposed to pull over, but not in AB.

I love biking with CPS officers, because they can and do go visit people later on in their shift.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Funny all these guys talking about about wanting to take out a cyclist. What if you did? You'd risk killing someone to prove a point? Have criminal charges?

Not sure on the rules but could be hit and run, your insurance would have to pay for all the medical bills etc. People ride bikes. My roommate cut his commute time in half by biking to work instead of being stuck in traffic.

Couriers downtown have a deathwish, I'll give people that. But in the same sentence, people would bitch that their package didn't get delivered fast enough if the couriers stopped doing what they do! Calgarians these days are something else.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-06-2011 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

For the record I was careful to word that "Unable to keep up with the flow of traffic"... which is the law. Yes, the posted speed limit is the maximum, and if all other traffic is doing 30km in a 50 zone, then you are correct that it is not obstruction and you are absolutely entitled to a full lane. But say on the other hand everybody in traffic is doing 20km over the limit, then the speed limit would govern.

If you are unable to keep up wiht the flow of traffic or at a minimum do the speed limit, you are obstructing traffic.

I am pretty sure it is illegal to obstruct traffic in AB as well, no?
    It's not "keeping up with traffic". That's why horse carts and cement trucks and backhoes are allowed to drive on the road. There is no minimum speed limit.

Now "Legally allowed" and "Is a wise decision" are 2 different things. I'm allowed to ride on Glenmore, and have done so before, but try and avoid it as much as possible.

Here's the section from the driver's book:

•A cyclist riding their bicycle is considered by law to be a vehicle. When a cyclist has stopped and remains astride their bicycle at an intersection waiting for a traffic control signal, they are to be treated as a vehicle waiting for their turn to proceed.
    •If a cyclist dismounts completely and is walking beside and pushing their bicycle, then they are considered by law to be a pedestrian.
    •When passing a cyclist, go around them like you would any other vehicle.

•Cyclists are required to ride as close as practicable to the curb, however, they may need to ride further out when they have to steer away from drainage grates, pot holes, debris, loose gravel or sand, wet or slippery surfaces, rutted or grooved pavement and even dogs. Be aware of the roadway conditions that may affect a cyclist.

This is the funny one. Legally can own the whole lane, but to facilitate passing, ride as close to the right as you feel safe.

And yes:

Ride single file except when overtaking and passing another cycle.

It is ILLEGAL for a person over 12 years old to ride on the sidewalk.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Insurance? For what!
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-06-2019 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Liability, like ever other car.

Examples:

-If a cyclist splits a lane to go around a car and smacks into a pedstrian on a crosswalk. He should be liable for the persons injuries.

-If a cyclist runs a red and hits an expensive car, he should be liable to fix any damages to the car.
    Not saying i condone such activity, but i have a fried/know a guy (however you want to word it) who has been cut off, and hit more times than he can count now. And he is a pretty respectable commuter.
    Having said such, on these encounters, drivers have also needed a new side mirror.

And for one, lane splitting is indeed legal. Theres no way in hell i'm going to wait in gridlocked traffic on a bicycle, EVER. I do on my motorcycle, but thats another story.

So in the end i strongly believe its the driver's egos that need to change, not cyclists' habits.

ALSO, i STRONGLY believe that bike lanes are not the answer, if i had my way, id take each and every one away. This only separates the bikes from traffic even more, and even more strongly condones such ignorant attitudes that bikes have no place on the road.
    ...For example, ive been commuting down 10th street for 5+ years now into the downtown core. Not once have i had an issue. This bike lane crap is ridiculous.

But going to the original topic of this thread, whats even more ridiculous is having guys enforce bikes on the pathway (we cant win!). For not dismounting, when its ridiculous to do so. And then if its not that, its speeding, etc.
    This is the reason in those 5 years commuting, i have only touched the pathway a handful of times.

My Ride
    Silverado

its pretty frustrating to have to pass the same cyclist after each and every red light. well not for me, its frustrating getting stuck because people in front of me do not know how to pass safely or at all.

lane splitting is for sure illegal in alberta, maybe bicycles have there own rules though

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

I cycle a lot, to/from work everyday, and I follow the rules for the most part. If it's raining or freezing, I'll run a light if I can, without making anyone else adjust their driving. I stay as far to the right as I can safely, and cyclists are allowed 1 meter from the curb, but I try to use as little of that as I can.
    I laugh at the people that bitch about cyclists, when I'm sure I could spend 5 minutes driving with them, and pick apart THEIR habits too.
    Calgary drivers have no right to bitch about other people not following the rules of the road.

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    you're funny. and pretty misguided how roads are funded. the majority of road funding comes from gas tax bro. some federal money comes into play on building highways. so you can bike on those if you want.

oh and FUCK YOU
    Hey bro, are you saying that I, as a truck owner, have more right to the road than you because I buy more fuel? Cool, now get off MY road.

Oh, and by the way, the AB Gubmnet spends more on roads than it directly receives, so in fact, EVERYONE pays for roads. Thanks for coming out, bro.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by Khyron

It's not "keeping up with traffic". That's why horse carts and cement trucks and backhoes are allowed to drive on the road. There is no minimum speed limit.

Now "Legally allowed" and "Is a wise decision" are 2 different things. I'm allowed to ride on Glenmore, and have done so before, but try and avoid it as much as possible.

Here's the section from the driver's book:

•A cyclist riding their bicycle is considered by law to be a vehicle. When a cyclist has stopped and remains astride their bicycle at an intersection waiting for a traffic control signal, they are to be treated as a vehicle waiting for their turn to proceed.
    •If a cyclist dismounts completely and is walking beside and pushing their bicycle, then they are considered by law to be a pedestrian.
    •When passing a cyclist, go around them like you would any other vehicle.

•Cyclists are required to ride as close as practicable to the curb, however, they may need to ride further out when they have to steer away from drainage grates, pot holes, debris, loose gravel or sand, wet or slippery surfaces, rutted or grooved pavement and even dogs. Be aware of the roadway conditions that may affect a cyclist.

This is the funny one. Legally can own the whole lane, but to facilitate passing, ride as close to the right as you feel safe.

And yes:

Ride single file except when overtaking and passing another cycle.

It is ILLEGAL for a person over 12 years old to ride on the sidewalk.
    Not sure you are fully correct on this.

I don't think you should be comparing horse carts, cement trucks and backhoes to cars and cyclists? ... You are comparing vehicles with equipment/loads or mechanically incapable of driving like a car or riding the curb/gutter like cyclists are supposed to.

Might want to re-read Division 1 of the Traffic Safety Act - Use of highway and rules of the road regulation - http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_304.pdf

The minimum speed is not prescribed but the minimum speed is technically anything that is not impeding traffic / blocking the movement of traffic. So if the traffic around you is going 50km/hr and you as a cyclists feel and have been thinking you can go whatever speed you like that's under the speed limit, given normal weather conditions + road conditions, you'd be wrong. If there is no reason for you to be slow moving when you choose to take up the right lane instead of staying in the gutter, you are impeding traffic. If you want to take the right lane instead of riding the gutter, go the speed limit.

So while cyclists can move further out when dodging the things you listed, it is retarded if the cyclists uses this as an excuse to ride out further from the curb the entire time. All the cyclists I've come across are not going fast enough where they aren't impeding/obstructing traffic. Almost all of the cyclists are blocking the normal flow of traffic by doing their own take on the regulations you listed.

There is nothing worse than being at the front of a red light in the right lane to have some Tour de France whiney pouty cyclist come alongside of you and position himself just a bit in front of your bumper and then when the light turns green he rides slow as fck and stays just enough into the lane where you are forced to merge into the left lane. To add to the frustration of seeing him go 30-40km/hr, he'll catch up to you at the next light and do the same fucking thing again.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast