Quantcast
How to adjust your mirrors *good read* - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to adjust your mirrors *good read*

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default How to adjust your mirrors *good read*

Well, I thought it was a good read anyway.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

I had never previously given my mirrors much thought. I've always adjusted mine so that the side of the car is still seen on the very edge of each mirror.... ever so slightly. However, as this site demonstrates, even doing that you're still duplicating some of the image available in your rear view mirror.

The idea is to set the mirrors even further out, so that they pick up where your rear view drops off. Makes a lot of sense... just never really thought about it.

been doing this for a few years now. i just reverse upto a brick wall and adjust them there to ensure minimal overlap

Yea a lot of people have them adjusted "wrong" (including myself). My driving instructor back when I was 15 first brought the fact that I don't need to be looking at my own car while driving to my attention haha.

I find however I have to have a little bit of my car visible or else I lose perspective of where things are. Weird I know, I've tried for a full month driving with the mirrors out like that and never could get used to it.

In the end though mirrors are pretty usless IMO, I always do a full shoulder check before moving over and only briefly glance at the mirrors as even with them set according to that article their range of view is severely limited. I know some people ONLY use their mirrors, that scares the hell out of me.

I recently installed wideview sidemirrors with half the lens angled out so you can see cars until they reach the front window which is nice, but again mirrors should only ever be used as a pre check, never rely on them to give you the whole picture (pun intended)

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't think the other way is wrong. A quick shoulder check is plenty enough to see if there is anyone next to you. I don't even need to crank my head too far to do so. I still have what's in front of me in my peripheral.

I'd like to see just a bit of my car in my mirrors since I use them a lot backing out from a tight spot or when parallel parking.

As long as you know the limitation of your setup, do whatever you feel comfortable.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I make it a habit to shoulder check, but I have to agree that its not a bad idea to adjust your mirrors like that to cover your ass.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Can't stand not seeing my car in the side mirrors, as said it gives you perspective. I excessively shoulder check (if there's such a thing) anyways, so not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    UA6/AP1/W202

Haha cool! I thought I was the only one, but I've been doing this for 2 years as well! It really helps minimizing less neck movement! but then again its more safe to always shoulder check!

i saw this technique on a TV show a long while back, since then ive always had mine properly adjusted. I turn them in till i can see the side of the car, then widen them out. I know what the side of my door looks like just fine, no point in having my mirror pointed at it
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

I saw this on a driving show years ago and this is waht i've been doing

Good read though. Thanks K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Horse

Takes a bit of getting used to, but so far I'm loving it, thanks Kloubek.

made this adjustment i think two years ago now.

much better, took a little bit to get used too but now i can't drive a car without the mirrors like this

My Ride
    2009 Impreza

As with most other people, I'm used to being able to see just a tiny bit of the side of the car in both mirrors. I did give this way a go, and it worked good, with one exception:

While waiting at a light, it occured to me that if I wanted to change lanes to the left (the turning lane, which was clear) I wouldn't have much indication if there was a guy speeding down that lane.

In the past, with the mirror lined up where you can see a bit of your car, you would also see all the way down the left lane. You could tell if someone was approaching fast, and that it was unsafe to change lanes.

With the new adjustment, the rearview mirror is mainly used to see if someone is approaching in the left lane. I couldn't do that while stopped at a light, due to cars behind me blocking my view. The side mirror itself would show the cars, but only once they're very close and are passing by, would not want to be pulling out into their lane at that point.

While the method presented here does work great while the car is moving, it doesn't work well while stopped.

I just may move the left mirror back to the position where it was before.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

There's been lots of times when drivers ahead of me drove forward while looking backward when shoulder checking, most of the time they end up drifting to one side of the lane.

I think this is a great idea but I doubt it will catch on. People are too used to looking behind them when changing lanes.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It does take a bit of getting used to, but with the boxster, being a convertible, I have these blind spots the size of Texas. I need to lean forward and shoulder check if I want to move into the left lane. Now, I don't bother.

But powerslave *is* right - it makes it tricky to see if someone is driving way fast on the left and your rear view is filled with vehicles behind you. Still, I think this is the better route than what I had before - just due to the black hole of a blind spot on my car.

My Ride
    STi

I've actually been doing this for years. I discovered it a while ago. I used to have my rear view mirrors adjusted so that I could still see the side of my cars, but I realized that this gives you a large blind spit. Now mine are adjusted in a way that, as soon as they leave my rear view mirror, I can see them on my side mirrors.
    Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Can't stand not seeing my car in the side mirrors, as said it gives you perspective. I excessively shoulder check (if there's such a thing) anyways, so not a big deal.
    I used to have this issue too when I first made the adjustment but I got over it fairly quickly.

This is pretty much the first thing they cover at any performance driving school, along with seating position, and hand position on the steering wheel.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

I'm old school, I need to see the side of my car in my mirror; I bought those small convex stick-on mirrors for two bucks at Mal-Fart, and they work great....I still shoulder check though....can't break that habit!

I like to see part of my car in my side view mirror. If you want to see whats beside me without shoulder checking just move your head forward and look at your mirror.
    -Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival-

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I used to use this method but when I got my A3 I realized that the side mirrors are huge and slightly convex...so I can still see the edge of my car and have almost no blind spot. I still shoulder check of course, in case someone decides to change into the same lane I want at the same time.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast